Eighteen new shows in the next 18 months

wendychloecruiser

We are just off the best ship in the fleet, that being The Eclipse and we were advised by Sue Denning of some exciting developments in regards to the production shows.

Celebrity is now going to be producing their own shows and will thus have complete ownership and thus control of them. Celebrity has a huge production facility in South Florida where all the shows will be developed from conception through to fruition. The initial two shows will be rolled out on The Eclipse in the next three weeks and on The Silhouette (yikes, I think it was the sil!). There will be some interruption and limitation of shows over the next three cruises on the eclipse, particularly the third one from today where there won't be any production shows. Of course there will be plenty of other types of entertainment offered.

As for the question of Acapella groups, these have been pulled due to their expense (as they require several cabins) and lack of popularity.

We are just off the best ship in the fleet, that being The Eclipse and we were advised by Sue Denning of some exciting developments in regards to the production shows.

Celebrity is now going to be producing their own shows and will thus have complete ownership and thus control of them. Celebrity has a huge production facility in South Florida where all the shows will be developed from conception through to fruition. The initial two shows will be rolled out on The Eclipse in the next three weeks and on The Silhouette (yikes, I think it was the sil!). There will be some interruption and limitation of shows over the next three cruises on the eclipse, particularly the third one from today where there won't be any production shows. Of course there will be plenty of other types of entertainment offered.

As for the question of Acapella groups, these have been pulled due to their expense (as they require several cabins) and lack of popularity.

I'm glad we are not on the Eclipse until November then. We love the shows and would not be happy to arrive and find they had none the entire cruise.

Is this a "special" cruise with something else instead?

Like maybe a "Top Chef" cruise or something?

It doesn't make sense that there wouldn't be ANY kind of large show on a cruise.

:confused: ... :confused: ... :confused:

Looking forward to the new shows!

Is this a "special" cruise with something else instead?

Like maybe a "Top Chef" cruise or something?

It doesn't make sense that there wouldn't be ANY kind of large show on a cruise.

:confused: ... :confused: ... :confused:

I am only repeating what was explained. The lack of production shows on the third cruise from today (sorry, I haven't investigated the exact date) has to do with the complexities of changing over from one show to another. There are MAJOR changes that have to happen in regards to sets, lighting and communication technology. Celebrity is installing some very advanced and expensive equipment.

There will be entertainment, just not the large production shows.

I am only repeating what was explained. The lack of production shows on the third cruise from today (sorry, I haven't investigated the exact date) has to do with the complexities of changing over from one show to another. There are MAJOR changes that have to happen in regards to sets, lighting and communication technology. Celebrity is installing some very advanced and expensive equipment.

There will be entertainment, just not the large production shows.

I wonder if Celebrity will let passengers on that cruise know in advance because that's quite a change to what they have paid for.

I wonder if Celebrity will let passengers on that cruise know in advance because that's quite a change to what they have paid for.

Our vote is out on the shows that will be developed at the new production facility. Celebrity (and RCI) are taking their shows "in house" which does give them control, but also means they will no longer be using outside professional companies to develop the shows. As to the quality of the Celebrity produced shows, we shall wait and see. But the history of cruising has showed us that many things pulled "in house" actually decline in quality. Like most Celebrity fans we have our fingers crossed :).

Hank

Thanks Don.....guess I never read/heard/saw anything about this....

Summit should have some new type of Magic show on it. Will check

it out and see about this new entertainment.

That Press Release was put out in March?:eek:...so when they said

new entertainment was coming within 18 months.....November will be 8

months.......has anyone seen any new shows in the past few months?

Edited by Lois R

I have mixed emotions about this announcement. :rolleyes:

We will be on the October 21st sailing (the sailing before the crossing) and I wonder if we will be without the production shows. I cannot determine if our cruise will be the 3rd or 4th cruise from today.

The news of a new shows is wonderful. :) We are really burned out on the current shows. :p However, if we have no production shows on our cruise, we will be disappointed. Celebrity better provide some darn good entertainers for our cruise if this is the case . :(

Am not sure that what was heard is exactly correct. Celebrity began its rollout of its own production shows in April of this year on Constellation. The new shows are being phased in one ship at a time. They are production shows. The big difference we noticed this summer is they added a late night show with a more adult theme. Definately not for everyone, but it was offered as an extra production - not a reduction.

The quality is similar to before. The big difference is Celebrity is producing them and the players will stay on for longer giving more continuity

Looking forward to the new shows!

I am more cautious than optimistic. Have you seen what Carnival did a few years ago, with the Hasbro game tie-in? More audience involvement instead of trained dancers or singers, and without formal shows, they used it as a reason to dump the orchestra.

Something new and fresh to look forward to!

It would be nice if they feature live music for some shows rather than pre recorded soundtracks that are invariably too loud.

Hope they announce a schedule of ships and shows before the next booking cycle.

I'm weird I guess and disappointed that there won't be any acapella groups any longer. :(

Why would you say that? The acapella groups were contracted entertainers as there nothing has changed. It is only the production Broadway type production shows that will now be produced by Celebrity instead of an outside company.

You wil see no difference in th3e entertainment except there will be an additional late night type production show if it continues to be well accepted.

Am not sure that what was heard is exactly correct. Celebrity began its rollout of its own production shows in April of this year on Constellation. The new shows are being phased in one ship at a time.

We are just off the Eclipse and it was also our understanding that the new shows are being phased in one ship at a time and this month it is Eclipse's turn. We participated in the passenger choir and the choirmaster and accompanist were cast members. They told us on the last night that that the stage set was already in the process of bring dismantled and a new set would be built. The cast all had one week to go on their contracts and then the new cast, who had been rehearsing the new shows for many weeks, would arrive.

I don't know exactly how much impact this will have, as even on the last night they were able to provide a speciality act on the stage, but clearly the big production shows can't be properly rolled out until the set is completely rebuilt. We were invited to the behind-the-scenes tour on the last day but didn't go because we have done it a few times, but if any CC members did attend, they may have more insight on how limited the entertainment will be, as by then the dismantling was under way and the limited facilities would surely have been a subject for discussion.

It will be disappointing for passengers on this cruise (and maybe later cruises) who enjoy the production shows and even Sue Denning, who is relentlessly upbeat, will surely struggle to put a positive spin on the fact that there are exciting new shows in the pipeline for future passengers, but to achieve this, the folks on the current cruise will have limited entertainment!:eek: The acts on our cruise were a mixed bunch. Some were excellent, but others were not very inspiring and I hope X will make sure there is good all-round entertainment when the production shows are not available.

Edited by Suzy Smith

Why would you say that? The acapella groups were contracted entertainers as there nothing has changed. It is only the production Broadway type production shows that will now be produced by Celebrity instead of an outside company.

You wil see no difference in th3e entertainment except there will be an additional late night type production show if it continues to be well accepted.

Because the OP said that they were cutting this.