room service tipping

LdyDDS

But it does not mention RS. I don't see them as waitstaff.

To me waitstaff are DR/Buffet staff etc.

Agree 100%. They are not waiting on you, they are simply delivering what you ordered. They won't be back to see if everything is all right or if you need cream with that coffee. I thought someone on CC said that they asked for this as "an extra shift" to make more money. I'm sure if I'm wrong I will be corrected at least a 100 times :)

Edited by notentirelynormal

Whether RS is included or not we will carry on as we have for 25 plus years on Princess and continue to tip a few extra $$$$ to them and our DR staff and bartenders around the ship... After all these guys and gals work extra hard like all other crew. They deserve it. :cool:

Our feelings exactly;)

I'd be interested in knowing if the room service staff is included in the auto tip pool. Perhaps the assumption is that many passengers provide an additional tip and therefore they are not included.

Anyone know for sure?

I have asked supervisory personnel on Princess ships and have been told that room service personnel are included.

I have asked supervisory personnel on Princess ships and have been told that room service personnel are included.

May be true, but considering the amount of work these folks do daily, and how little they make, I would honestly feel guilty about not tipping anything. And no, we definitely don't have money to burn, but I always tip at least $3 for room service. It's a tiny amount and I'm sure the hard working guys and gals appreciate it.

Whether RS is included or not we will carry on as we have for 25 plus years on Princess and continue to tip a few extra $$$$ to them and our DR staff and bartenders around the ship... After all these guys and gals work extra hard like all other crew. They deserve it. :cool:

Likewise!;)

Mike:)

I have asked at guest services and room service is included in the daily auto tips. The Princess web site is also clear, all wait staff. Of course they would appreciate an extra tip, so would the bar staff, and anyone else on the ship but that doesn't mean you need to walk around handing out dollar bills because someone would appreciate it. It's a personal decision if you wish to tip on top of the auto tip. For a pot of coffee in the morning I don't see the need to tip twice. If I were asking for something above and beyond such as having guests to my suite and ordering full meals for six people I would think differently.

May be true, but considering the amount of work these folks do daily, and how little they make, I would honestly feel guilty about not tipping anything. And no, we definitely don't have money to burn, but I always tip at least $3 for room service. It's a tiny amount and I'm sure the hard working guys and gals appreciate it.

And nothing wrong with doing what you do.

Passengers just need to be aware that this would be an extra tip, not the only tip room service personnel get.

And nothing wrong with doing what you do.

Passengers just need to be aware that this would be an extra tip, not the only tip room service personnel get.

Which IS what the OP was asking about. ;) The facts to make a personal choice have been presented.

Your post should wrap up another thread of tipping philosophies.

My wife and I always bring an extra $100 or $200 in singles.

We always have singles ready for room service and servers in the buffet getting us drinks or clearing tables for us. Also you never know who you might meet that deserves an extra buck or two for going above and beyond.

To each his own when it comes to tipping but my wife and I feel so blessed every time we cruise that we want to reward others for helping make our cruise such a wonderful experience.

Room service is a separate department from your room steward.

The Australian $1 and $2 are coins, but I have noted to bring a supply in a designated coin purse so I can acknowledge extra service, on the spot. THANK YOU for discreetly reminding me of this-I'm not used to tipping on a regular basis here in Australia-certainly have rounded up the taxi fare many times, but nothing in hotels or restaurants.

Something to think about...would you rather give a few dollars tip for room service or be charged a fee for room service as other lines are implementing???

Since I do not use room service it would not make a difference to us. Yet if they charged a fee for it some would still expect others to tip the person who delivers the items. Tipping is a personnal activity that is entirely up to the individual.

When you buy a drink at a bar or coffee at the IC 15% tip is added to the bill for the waitstaff.

When you order room service nothing is added for the extra service so a tip IMHO should be given.

We been using more recently and love it. Having a breakfast bought in is just perfect. RS always seems fresher than the MDR and more relaxing eating on the balcony. About half the days we've been having lunch on the balcony. Their sandwiches and salads have always been fresh and much better IMHO than HC. Tip: Their lasagna is one of my favorites.

Worth a tip, best deal that's not really used by most cruisers.

framer

How do you know what most do? I suspect most don't have money to burn tipping double so don't double tip.

I do and my friends do. I am guessing most do.

I am not wealthy (and do not have money to burn) and do not consider this double tipping. I consider it the right thing to do.

Edited by Coral

When you buy a drink at a bar or coffee at the IC 15% tip is added to the bill for the waitstaff.

When you order room service nothing is added for the extra service so a tip IMHO should be given.

framer

Just so you know....

Bar/drink servers around the ship ( pool and theatre included) do not share in the daily gratuity. They are in a different category. And many use the gratuity as incentive to encourage a drink here and there.;)

The room service staff IS included in daily gratuities. They also do shifts serving in other venues.

Cruisers have a personal choice of if to add another tip and the quantity. No right or wrong for every one.

Years ago, pre automatic tipping policies, I remember filling individual envelopes for every staff member I dealt with. :eek: A big inconvenience. Automatic is so much fairer to the staff AND passengers.

Staff that go ABOVE my expectations are rewarded on the last day. My choice.

Edited by eandj

I don't understand why some people provide extra tips to room service but not to the waiter who serves them dinner in the anytime dining room. A room service waiter makes one delivery of the entire dinner. A dining room waiter takes your order, delivers each course individually, clears each course when it is finished, provides new silverware, and keeps your water and ice tea filled.

It seems to me that the MDR waiter and assistant spend a lot more time and effort serving me dinner in the MDR than a room service waiter who delivers a bunch of covered plates at one time. Both are included in the automatic tips.

I believe many people with traditional dining provide extra tips to their waiter and assistant. Also people who make reservations for the same waiter on multiple nights may do so. But I doubt many people carry money to the MDR to provide an extra tip to the waiter and assistant every night.

I don't understand why some people provide extra tips to room service but not to the waiter who serves them dinner in the anytime dining room. A room service waiter makes one delivery of the entire dinner. A dining room waiter takes your order, delivers each course individually, clears each course when it is finished, provides new silverware, and keeps your water and ice tea filled.

It seems to me that the MDR waiter and assistant spend a lot more time and effort serving me dinner in the MDR than a room service waiter who delivers a bunch of covered plates at one time. Both are included in the automatic tips.

I believe many people with traditional dining provide extra tips to their waiter and assistant. Also people who make reservations for the same waiter on multiple nights may do so. But I doubt many people carry money to the MDR to provide an extra tip to the waiter and assistant every night.

Those are excellent points!

framer

Room service is not an extra service, it's already covered in the daily auto tip. If you want to tip again it's ok, individual choice, most don't tend to double tip.

The bar service is not covered in the daily auto tipping pool and add 15% gratuity to your bill. If you want to double tip and make it 30% , it's an individual choice.

Room service is not an extra service, it's already covered in the daily auto tip. If you want to tip again it's ok, individual choice, most don't tend to double tip.

The bar service is not covered in the daily auto tipping pool and add 15% gratuity to your bill. If you want to double tip and make it 30% , it's an individual choice.

But I want to double tip. I am on vacation and they work their butts off.

Edited by Colo Cruiser