Cabin with curtain dividers?

Kris74

Hi

With cruiselines and cabins categories would you suggest to a family, who needs a curtain divider dividing the bed area from the extrabed and in such an arrangement that the extrabed is next to the window or balcony?

And not a luxury cruise line 😊 Any other than Disney?

Hi

With cruiselines and cabins categories would you suggest to a family, who needs a curtain divider dividing the bed area from the extrabed and in such an arrangement that the extrabed is next to the window or balcony?

And not a luxury cruise line Any other than Disney?

Princess full suites (pricey) have curtains or doors dividing the main sleeping area from the sitting room with pull out couch. Princess mini-suites on the Royal Princess and Regal Princess (the 2 newest ships) have a curtain dividing the two areas. As far as I know those are the only two Princess ships with the curtain (and I've been on half a dozen Princess ships in a mini-suite). The sitting areas are next to the balcony door.

Edited by capriccio

How many people? When you say extra bed are you referring to a cabin with a sofa bed pulled out? More information might be helpful. Some cabins have a fake curtain, more like a swag, so be sure you are talking about a real, full curtain. Have read of some people bringing their own and using magnetic hooks.

Just one child, so no pullmanbeds.

Yes. We need a real curtaindivider to separate the sleepingareas. The other solution would be two connecting insides, but then we would miss the view, two outside/balconies would definately be too expensive.

Havent even thought, are there really curtains which you can set up yourself?

Edited by Kris74

RCI's Radiance class JS's have a full dividing curtain....the sofabed is next to the balcony. RCI also has a few balcony cabins that connect to an inside cabin...Explorer and Freedom class have that set-up.

How old is the child?

Edited by cb at sea

Yes. We need a real curtaindivider to separate the sleepingareas. The other solution would be two connecting insides, but then we would miss the view, two outside/balconies would definately be too expensive.

Yes. Magnets and shower curtains

RCCL junior suite or grand suite. Before you dismiss the GS consider the benefits you get! We did a JS once and then always booked GS or OS because the benefits were significant.

Also look at celebrity sky suites, you need to look at lay out to see if they will meet your needs. I think you may find their CS or RS costly but they do come with lots of perks, reducing your overall cost.

Is this a baby/toddler? While Princess mini suites don't have a curtain they do have a fairly big closet area that some people have said they put a crib in there for darkness. Also, with a young child I wouldn't have two bedrooms unless they were internally connected. I'm debating putting a 11 YO and 9 YO in a mini suite next to ours. When they are teenagers that will be a whole new ballgame.

I've read of some people putting curtains up but I guess it depends on what kind you want. Sound, light, of just eye sight.

If it is a small child that goes to bed early I would recommend a balcony so you can sit out there while the child gets to sleep. Gives you a great time to reconnect with each other too.

Is this a baby/toddler? While Princess mini suites don't have a curtain they do have a fairly big closet area that some people have said they put a crib in there for darkness.

Just in case someone who hasn't cruised on Princess is scratching their head wondering why notentirelynormal would recommend putting a baby/toddler in the closet :eek: - the Princess dressing area is comprised of shelving with doors and an open closet (no doors) about 5 feet wide and 2 feet deep (guessing on the measurements) opening into the hallway shared with the bathroom. A pack and play - which is what Princess provides (I think) would fit. You do have to walk past the closet to enter the bathroom.

I am planning on using the magnets and a shower curtain to give a non family member a bit more privacy on our Alaska cruise. So of course I have to fly in with the magnets and curtain. Will I have problems with magnets going through security?

I'm presuming the magnets are in your checked luggage so your concern is ship's xrays? No problem.

I am planning on using the magnets and a shower curtain to give a non family member a bit more privacy on our Alaska cruise. So of course I have to fly in with the magnets and curtain. Will I have problems with magnets going through security?

No sarcasm in this comment because I have limited knowledge of other cruise lines. I just can't imagine how you would hang a curtain across the cabin that would give anyone privacy. Not sure where the magnets would come in either. Are you planning on hanging the curtain from the ceiling cos I'm thinking that much weight they'd have to be pretty husky magnets. And that shower curtain would have to be super duper long. Are you talking after you go to sleep you don't want to see each other sleeping. I mean, what if the person has to go to the bathroom. Won't they see you sleeping anyway?

Hi...we took a family cruise in June on the Golden Princess...our DD and SIL were next door to us in a minisuite with a 4 yo and 8 yo. Mom and older child slept in twin beds...dad slept in pull down upper bunk and little guy on pullout sofa beneath that. Other Gramma (the crafty one) took a large, dark-colored old sheet and sewed 6 long tabs on the top...to give added length. I bought 6 heavy-duty magnet hooks on A----n and packed them in my suitcase. On Princess the walls and ceilings are metal so Dad just positioned the hooks accordingly...then put a sound machine close by and little guy did great. During the day we just folded sheet away and it was simple to hang it again at night. Hope this helps.

Child is 3 years old so too big for a cot. He has always been a light sleeper and needs his privacy for sleeping.

Have to check the junior suite prices. And thanks for the advices.

And will give the magnets a good thought, I do a lot of sewing so I could do it fine I suppose.

Edited by Kris74

Child is 3 years old so too big for a cot. He has always been a light sleeper and needs his privacy for sleeping.

Have to check the junior suite prices. And thanks for the advices.

And will give the magnets a good thought, I do a lot of sewing so I could do it fine I suppose.

From your above statement I would really consider connecting cabins, either two interiors or a balcony and an interior. No matter what type of curtain you rig up the cabins are still very small. You would still need to use the bathroom, talk, etc. can't imagine it would be that quiet, even in a junior suite. If all else fails, perhaps get him used to a little bit more noise/light gradually before cruising.

Just in case someone who hasn't cruised on Princess is scratching their head wondering why notentirelynormal would recommend putting a baby/toddler in the closet :eek: - the Princess dressing area is comprised of shelving with doors and an open closet (no doors) about 5 feet wide and 2 feet deep (guessing on the measurements) opening into the hallway shared with the bathroom. A pack and play - which is what Princess provides (I think) would fit. You do have to walk past the closet to enter the bathroom.

It does sound strange if you don't know the layout of the cabins. Even the closet in a RCCL JS is fairly large. It does have a door though (as I recall). You could leave the door open or prop it open in some way with no problem. Those closets can be huge and serve as a great extra space. My brother and SIL used the closet as a playroom for my nieces.

Re magnets: Remember that often the ceilings and walls are either plastic or aluminum and magnets are pretty much worthless.

I had thought magnets would be worthless, but they actually hold quite well on most ships. They may appear to be flimsy aluminum or plastic, but most have some magnetism in them.

This probably won't work if there are just 3 of you, but we were in a Family ocean view room on Royal Caribbean that had not only curtains that pulled around the bed but also a bunk room with a door.

The only problem I can see is that they may not reserve it for only 3 people. We got a great deal on it too--very big room. This was on the Navigator of the Seas.