113 laps

Gunther1

just got off the Amsterdam from a week- long cruise. I walked 113 laps in the seven days, which at 3.5 laps to the mile equals over 32 miles.

It got me to thinking.....does anybody have any tales of excessive exercise habits whilst cruising to justify all of the food we are "forced" to eat :) ?

just got off the Amsterdam from a week- long cruise. I walked 113 laps in the seven days, which at 3.5 laps to the mile equals over 32 miles.

It got me to thinking.....does anybody have any tales of excessive exercise habits whilst cruising to justify all of the food we are "forced" to eat :) ?

Nothing excessive. I do the gym early morning, laps during the day, and take the stairs. It's a losing battle. And last cruise I didn't even eat a dessert. Go figure.:(

I might be an example of "excessive" workouts.

My wife and I are exercise junkies at home as well. We work out every day and try to follow a healthy diet. I still run marathons, but used to do Ironman triathlons as well. Last year we finished hiking the Pacific Crest Trail (2,650 miles).

We also do a lot of cruising. We cruised 87 days in 2015 and have 157 days scheduled next year. We are 5 Star on HAL (and pretty far along on 2 other lines). I feel that if you cruise that much, you can't justify letting yourself go, despite the obvious temptations. It's totally different if you're just cruising a couple of weeks.

I try to be very careful with exercise and diet. For example, we did the 30 day South America cruise out of San Diego last Spring on the Statendam (great cruise, by the way). Before I left, I made a spreadsheet to track my workouts and the goals I set for the month. My goal was to work out every day, avoid alcohol, minimize desserts and bread, use only stairs and to dance every evening. I didn't have 100% compliance, but I came close. I had a few drinks, a couple of desserts and missed 2 days of workouts when I caught a cold at the end of the trip. I kept track of my mileage and averaged 8.6 miles of running per day and 14.1 miles of biking per day. I usually spent 3 hours in the gym on sea days and 1.5 hours on port days. I did manage to dance every day, use only stairs and eat no bread, but those things are relatively easy for me. Overall, it was a wonderful cruise and we had a great time.

Nothing excessive, but I watched how much I ate -- not what, but how much -- and I walked laps nearly every morning on my last cruise and I came home having lost 4 pounds. I also kept drinks other than tea and water to a minimum, which had the added benefit of keeping my shipboard account fairly low.

I was pleased -- because I had lost 12 pounds before the cruise and managed to keep up the weight loss on the cruise.

My wife and I are exercise junkies at home as well. We work out every day and try to follow a healthy diet. I still run marathons, but used to do Ironman triathlons as well. Last year we finished hiking the Pacific Crest Trail (2,650 miles).

We also do a lot of cruising. We cruised 87 days in 2015 and have 157 days scheduled next year. We are 5 Star on HAL (and pretty far along on 2 other lines). I feel that if you cruise that much, you can't justify letting yourself go, despite the obvious temptations. It's totally different if you're just cruising a couple of weeks.

I try to be very careful with exercise and diet. For example, we did the 30 day South America cruise out of San Diego last Spring on the Statendam (great cruise, by the way). Before I left, I made a spreadsheet to track my workouts and the goals I set for the month. My goal was to work out every day, avoid alcohol, minimize desserts and bread, use only stairs and to dance every evening. I didn't have 100% compliance, but I came close. I had a few drinks, a couple of desserts and missed 2 days of workouts when I caught a cold at the end of the trip. I kept track of my mileage and averaged 8.6 miles of running per day and 14.1 miles of biking per day. I usually spent 3 hours in the gym on sea days and 1.5 hours on port days. I did manage to dance every day, use only stairs and eat no bread, but those things are relatively easy for me. Overall, it was a wonderful cruise and we had a great time.

Very impressive and hats off to you but may I ask when did you have time to relax and enjoy your cruise? :D Did you tour at all, see any of the various ports, sit by the pool, etc?

Of course, we all enjoy our cruises our own way but wow, this sounds like such a regimen you could have done it at home. :eek: :D

Nothing excessive, but I watched how much I ate -- not what, but how much -- and I walked laps nearly every morning on my last cruise and I came home having lost 4 pounds. I also kept drinks other than tea and water to a minimum, which had the added benefit of keeping my shipboard account fairly low.

I was pleased -- because I had lost 12 pounds before the cruise and managed to keep up the weight loss on the cruise.

Well done! I know how hard that is - and how easily it goes back on! You must be ecstatic!

Ah, but what gym can you go to where you can watch the open ocean before you as you use the treadmill, or what track can you walk that is made of teak and has those lovely shippy smells and sounds, and the ships movement, and the ocean all around you?:)

Guess it's time to think about booking.....

(I know there was a lot of temptation there but I can't believe iOS spell check actually left that sentence alone):D

WOW! What discipline. Don't know how you do it but congrats

Very impressive and hats off to you but may I ask when did you have time to relax and enjoy your cruise? :D Did you tour at all, see any of the various ports, sit by the pool, etc?

Of course, we all enjoy our cruises our own way but wow, this sounds like such a regimen you could have done it at home. :eek: :D

We do the same kind of workouts at home as well, so it wasn't much of a change for us. We visited every port and arranged a private tour in most of them. We don't like HAL tours at all, but we did a fantastic excursion in Lima that allowed us to swim with sea lions. I'm sort of a type A person, so sitting by a pool doesn't have much appeal, but we usually worked in an afternoon nap and found the cruise quite relaxing.

Impressive! We do laps on our cruises too, but you have us beat. I think we average around 2-3 miles/day, so nowhere near what you did.

I'm always happy if I can come home the same weight I was when I left, but I want to enjoy the good food too.

Impressive! We do laps on our cruises too, but you have us beat. I think we average around 2-3 miles/day, so nowhere near what you did.

I'm always happy if I can come home the same weight I was when I left, but I want to enjoy the good food too.

My late DH and I always walked laps, as well. No matter how much we walked in ports, most days we went to Promenade and did our laps :) or used the treadmills in the gym.

Not anything to the extent described by some above, :eek: I must admit.

OP I haven't done a cruise yet (at least not for a couple of decades) but I plan to do 160 stairs a day plus my morning walk. The stairs are for my Mediterranean trip next year because I want to see the Drogarati and Melissani caves plus I want to walk down the stairs at Santorini. The caves are 165 stairs. Santorini stairs are supposed to take less than half an hour but in July heat I want to be sure my thighs aren't adding to my grief!

We are no fun on board I guess. We might walk around the promenade a bit, and we do enjoy it - DH more than I

But we walk a LOT in our ports. Back when the days I wore a pedometer it was over 30,000 steps in some ports.

As long as we all get our exercise in one way or another it's all good.

that being said, we still love the walk a round promenade and we wouldn't want to see it disappear ;)

I have to use an elevator once a day to get a photo of the mat-of-the-day, but other than that, we use the stairs, and we walk the deck, DH more than I. Walking ashore can be a problem - a few years ago, we walked and walked and walked, and I ended up with a stress fracture in one leg. Those cobbles and stone steps did it, I'm sure. Now I make sure I have shoes with good cushioning and support for walking ashore, even if I'm not stylish, particularly in Europe.

When I was researching about my stress fracture, I read about a woman who went to Hawaii to learn the hula. After two weeks on the beach, she had stress fractures in both legs. :eek: So it's not only cobbles and stone steps, but sand can do it too!

We love to walk on the ship, but not to excess. We probably do 3-4 miles a day--looking forward to a real promenade again on the Oosterdam. We also usually do active excursions or walk a lot in port.

I take the stairs whenever possible--my DH has too many leg problems for that. Last year our cabin was on the Lido deck and it was over 100 steps each time from deck 5 to our cabin; even more from lower down.

I take free exercise classes if offered at any time other than daybreak--I'm not getting up early on a cruise unless for an outstanding excursion!

I usually start a diet a month or two pre-cruise and step up my exercise routine--because I want to eat what I want on the cruise (unlike at home) and splurge on food. Kind of dumb, but it works for me.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

Good for you!!

DH uses the gym nearly every morning -- just like at home.

Very impressive - both with your exercising and being able to cruise so much.