yet another confused cruiser

poss

I hope to be doing a 14 day Alaska cruise next year. I keep hearing about Glacier Bay, and was surprised not to see it on the Regent itinerary. When I inquired, I was told that during the "Cruise Hubbard" day, one skirts Glacier Bay and gets to see some of it. Is this correct?

In short, I'm trying to figure out why an itinerary that visits so many not-usual ports (as well as the tried and true) doesn't specifically visit Glacier Bay.

Thanks for any illumination.

To visit Glacier Bay, permits are required, as mentioned.

IF your cruise doesn't state it is cruising Glacier Bay, then you are NOT. There is no "skirts" possible.

I suggest you look at a map, which clearly details this.

A lot of cruises don't sail Glacier Bay and are perfectly desirable- offering excellent itineraries.

I hope to be doing a 14 day Alaska cruise next year. I keep hearing about Glacier Bay, and was surprised not to see it on the Regent itinerary. When I inquired, I was told that during the "Cruise Hubbard" day, one skirts Glacier Bay and gets to see some of it. Is this correct?

In short, I'm trying to figure out why an itinerary that visits so many not-usual ports (as well as the tried and true) doesn't specifically visit Glacier Bay.

If someone told you that you were going to get to see the NYC harbor by sailing along the outside of the harbor but not going in, what would you think? Same with the person who made that ridiculous statement to you regarding Glacier Bay. I would definitely not book with the person who tried to sell you that bill-of-goods and I would tell them why you fired them.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

one skirts Glacier Bay and gets to see some of it. Is this correct?
If you look at Google Earth... The Margerie Glacier is nearly 60 miles from the entrance. You won't be able to see any calving from the GB entrance if you cruise ship does not have a pass to enter.

Sounds like you need to switch ships.

OMzReVZn__M 9ln2wYbk6xY

When I inquired, I was told that during the "Cruise Hubbard" day, one skirts Glacier Bay and gets to see some of it. Is this correct?

I'm assuming that you see the Hubbard Glacier on the 'Cruise Hubbard' day...which is not part of Glacier Bay.

And in many cases it's not that the cruise lines don't want to get the permit it is also that there is a limit on how many ships are allowed to visit Glacier Bay at the same time. Also at least one line I am familiar with is prohibited from sailing Glacier Bay.

Keith

Since others have discussed the permit difficulties, I won't. Glacier Bay is the only place I have actually seen a glacier from the ship. Been to Tracy Arm 2X and Hubbard Glacier once and something has always happened to prevent the ship from getting to the glaciers. If you are committed to Regent, you will still be able to take a helicopter or a bus to Mendenhall Glacier at Juneau. My opinion based on 6 trips to Alaska - Glacier Bay is a must see.

And in many cases it's not that the cruise lines don't want to get the permit it is also that there is a limit on how many ships are allowed to visit Glacier Bay at the same time. Also at least one line I am familiar with is prohibited from sailing Glacier Bay.

Keith

That penalty expired years ago. They are no longer "prohibited". What happened, was, during their (I believe was a 5 year suspension?) penalty- the Park Service, reduced the numbers of permits, and when the cruise line served their "sentence", none were available.

There is continuing mentions of revisions to the permit system, I hear on occasion. But, I expect only more restrictions, not less.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

In reading more and more, I'm learning that many people who have done both Tracy and Glacier prefer Tracy-- so I'm good to go! (i.e without Glacier)

That is assuming you get to Tracy Arm. 4 attempts and I have yet to see it. I have seen Glacier Bay 100% of the time.

And Tracy Arm is different than Hubbard Glacier.

Edited by Coral

I know that Tracy Arm is different from Hubbard Glacier. The previous time we were in Alaska, we did not cruise Hubbard, but we did do Tracy-- we loved it and got VERY close to Sawyer. I'm sure that Glacier Bay is wonderful, but we'll be happy campers if we get to see Sawyer again; actually, I loved the whole trip through the fjord, not just the Sawyer viewing. And heck, even if we don't see much of the fjord for whatever reason, simply being on the splendid Mariner is pure delight.

Happy sails, all!

Edited by poss

We saw Hubbard in August on a clear day and it was awesome with all the calving. We visited Glacier Bay in June on a cold foggy day with just minimal calving. So for me, Hubbard was a better experience; but I would think that Glacier Bay later in the summer when it warmed up on a clear day would be incredible. It is just the luck of the draw with glaciers. It doesn't matter which cruise you go on first as long as you plan to go back to see even more of wonderful Alaska.

We have photos from of both of our cruises on our website that is is linked to in our signature. You will have a great time seeing the majesty of Alaska on whatever cruise you take.

Regent does not go anywhere near Glacier Bay on its cruises. It requires special permits and it seems the large lines take them all.