About Cruise Critic really

SetU2

First, to those behind the scenes bringing us together on the Cruise Critic forums, thank you. I typically read these forums from my tablet or phone via Tapatalk, as I suspect many others do. This works great because it strips off the signature from the posts. Earlier today though I used my laptop instead and noticed just how long some of these signature blocks have become. I'm just curious if there has ever been any thought to limiting the signature block to something reasonable like 4 or 5 lines (just a number, maybe 810?) to make the reading experience a bit easier?

You know you can make it so you don't see these, don't you?

1. Go to User CP

2. Choose Setting and Options

3. Chose Edit Options

4. Go to Thread Display Options

5. Go to Visible Post Elements and uncheck what you don't wish to see

I agree, they get crazy long and I also don't want to see them.

Edited by 6rugrats

I find signatures a handy way of judging (in part, at least) the experience and accumulated wisdom of a poster. Only been on two cruises? I'm not so sure you know what you're talking about. Fifty cruises? Okay, you are much more likely to have something of vaue to say. I always find it fairly easy to scroll past the signature, and have never noticed a problem with the page loading.

Only thing that bugs me is people who put several countdown clocks next to each other so the page width is affected-- have to scroll left to right to read the posts in the entire thread.

Only thing that bugs me is people who put several countdown clocks next to each other so the page width is affected-- have to scroll left to right to read the posts in the entire thread.

Yes, agreed. I have all avatars hidden, but not signatures. I find I miss too much information when signatures are hidden, so in the case of the example above or some huge, long signature - or that annoying little crawling bug! :p - I put that person on my Ignore List. It's not a great solution because, as it turns out, I have over 200 people on it. :eek: However, you can always read a hidden post if you want (right hand side of the post).

First, to those behind the scenes bringing us together on the Cruise Critic forums, thank you. I typically read these forums from my tablet or phone via Tapatalk, as I suspect many others do. This works great because it strips off the signature from the posts. Earlier today though I used my laptop instead and noticed just how long some of these signature blocks have become. I'm just curious if there has ever been any thought to limiting the signature block to something reasonable like 4 or 5 lines (just a number, maybe 810?) to make the reading experience a bit easier?

But if you turn them off don't complain "What cruise do you mean" or What country are you in" when that's in the signature.

I'm more annoyed by the posts that stretch the page much wider than any screen could show.

Signature info is sometimes helpful, but some people's tickers and images are WAY over the top. Sometimes I'll turn them on for a few days, but usually they are too jarring if I'm in the middle of an interesting thread, like watching TV and seeing commercials every few seconds.

The worst is when it's someone with a half-page signature posting just to say: "lol" or whatever.

People should be aware that lots of us are either on tapatalk or have sigs off, and if you are ASKING A QUESTION about your upcoming cruise, state your ship/port/date if the questions pertain to those things, don't assume everyone will see your sig.

Edited by perditax

Another cool trick, if you're using the 'AdBlock' plugin for Chrome and you don't want to turn off sigs but you want to block the obnoxiously huge images: Right-click the image, select "Block Element" from that menu, and you should never have to see that particular 5" square countdown timer again.

[I keep my signature very simple as I am not about to list over 140+ cruises.

Thank you, KK, for not taking a page to list them all in your signature! Honestly, I don't care about each and every cruise you've taken in your entire life! :D

I don't think anyone wants to know my complete cruising history either so I keep my signature short! :rolleyes: .. :D

LuLu

So here is the problem with signatures. Some like to post all their past cruises. We once thought of doing this for fun, but cannot even remember all the cruises (we are talking about far more then 75). And we also think it is near useless info. We once met a lady who was only on her 5th cruise, but the first 4 had each been a World Cruise (in excess of 100 days each) and the 5th (where we met her) was her first "short cruise" (using her words) of only 62 days. There are plenty of folks who have 5 cruises totaling 15-20 days. But this lady was up to around 500 days on her 5th cruise. So who has more experience? When we think it might be relevant to our post we might say something like (more then 3 years on ships) or (been on 14 cruise lines) etc. But otherwise, we simply avoid any signature.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

But if you turn them off don't complain "What cruise do you mean" or What country are you in" when that's in the signature.

I'm more annoyed by the posts that stretch the page much wider than any screen could show.

I have blocked the signatures, just too long.

The country should show up at the top right corner and everybody should tell on which cruise they are if they have questions pertaining to that cruise.

And yes, the wide posts are annoying. I don't read them. I also don't read the very long posts that are one bunched together paragraph.

You know you can make it so you don't see these, don't you?

1. Go to User CP

2. Choose Setting and Options

3. Chose Edit Options

4. Go to Thread Display Options

5. Go to Visible Post Elements and uncheck what you don't wish to see

I agree, they get crazy long and I also don't want to see them.

Thanks again 6rugrats, this was exactly what I was looking for.

It would be nice if the width could be control as I often have the window for this site as narrow as possible on the left side of the screen as I usually am watching the TV on my computer on the right side.

Sometimes it's because of the way that people are posting photos (large size or side-by-side).

I do like to get an idea of one's cruising history because it adds credibility to some posts. There's been one or two posters (I won't mention names -- one person changed her screen name after many called her on her answers) who will pretend to be experts on cruising even before embarking on one.

I'm just curious if there has ever been any thought to limiting the signature block to something reasonable like 4 or 5 lines (just a number, maybe 810?) to make the reading experience a bit easier?

It is a nice idea for our hosts to suggest specific maximums of lines of text and megapixels of graphics in signatures. But that's all it will ever be: a suggestion. I belong to another forum that has such requested guidelines, but no way to enforce them even on that forum's much more modern platform. Even if our hosts were to suspend the posting privileges of members that violate any enacted signature rule, those members could still go into their profile and re-edit their signature as it is seen on their older posts. So let us not waste our energies passing judgement on fellow members too lazy to delete years-old coutdown clocks or those in possession of sufficient ego to post logos of their loyalty status levels on the various lines.

Page long signature blocks are relics left over when we read the internet on large screens. More people now access the internet with a mobile device than a computer with a larger screen, and you can bet that the majority of them have selected to not display these long signature blocks.

You can bet that the whole design of these forums will soon change to better adapt to mobile devices.

Has that been problem? :confused: If so, why not list your country in the Location block of your avatar line?

Edited by Aquahound

Since I had never really looked at my User CP I had no idea I could hide avatars and sig lines.I also didn't know there was an ignore list. Thanks to those that shared this info I now see no avatars or sig lines and have started an ignore list. There is only one on it and it's not personal. I just don't care for extra LARGE type.