Walkies?

DispatchJess

I really am ignorant of the cruise world. DW and I have been cruising together for over 30 years (and I started about forty years ago) and have spent several years on cruise ships all over the world. When we board a ship and get to our cabin, our cell phones get turned off and locked in the safe. We do use the internet a few minutes a day to retrieve and respond to e-mails but that is about it for communications. Because we have cruised a lot on 14 lines we often get free internet (on just about every line except HAL) and on Princess we actually got 1,000 free minutes on our last cruise. We managed to use less then 100 of those minutes over 25 days :).

When we go to good restaurants we will often see couples having a "very romantic" dinner. Neither talk to each other, pay little attention to their food, but they sure do each text throughout dinner (perhaps they are texting each other because they do not know how to have a conversation). We know of 1 restaurant that actually gives a discount to diners who leave their cell phones at the front desk :). And on cruise ships we have seen entire families in the MDR where everyone is on their phones (either texting of playing games) with nobody paying attention to anyone else at the table.

So now we get the walkie talkee issue. I am again puzzled how in the world DW and I (and our DD who cruised with us many times when she was young) survived (and even loved) our cruises. We never used a walkee talkee or cell phone. I think we actually agreed when a where to meet (what a novel idea). Yes, I know. We are simply old fogies who have no clue about the world. Just imagine, not using Facebook, chats, texts, etc for a few weeks! It is true heaven for us. And somehow we can travel for months a year, keep our communications to a minimum, and somehow survive. Hard to imagine :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Having been exposed to the screaming, screeching and unpleasant attempts for people among us to uses walkie talkies while aboard, please reconsider. There is no way to be in public areas and use them without disturbing those around you. While your child is still a baby, I imagine you likely want for baby to learn considerate manners while (s)he grows up. Thinking of how you could be disturbing others is something to consider. IMO

I know this has been discussed before ad naseum (and I know that the general consensus hasn't been positive)... We'll have our 11 month with us so this way we can stay in contact...

Hi Jessica,

I see from your previous posts that you have been on other cruises before. And now you get to experience a family vacation with your baby! Sounds like fun. :) I hope you all have a wonderful time together.

Having said that, we all know what you've said here - that the response to walkie-talkies is generally negative. Yes, it is. My guess is that you know why that is. When people use them, they are infringing on others' vacation time. It becomes annoying. It's frustrating. It's generally not a good thing. Indeed, you have asked for some recommendations but I will echo the sentiment and politely ask you to please reconsider using them. Perhaps post-it notes are not the best idea going, but certainly there are other ways to keep in contact with each other. It's none of my business, but do you really think you will be separated from your husband for such a length of time? I'm sure you will both be taking care of baby. :)

Obviously, my reply contains un-asked for advice and that never goes down here very well on these boards. This is not parenting advice... it is simply a request from another passenger, to please reconsider using the walkie-talkies. Many thousands of parents have taken family vacations and never needed them, our family included.

Have a great time. :)

In the unhappy event something happens for which one of you needs the other, do not worry about them being found and told of the incident. All ships have a speaker system and a true emergency would activate whatever necessary to find the other parent.

(Of course, we certainly hope nothing like that happens to anyone.)

Edited by sail7seas

Very good. :D But of course that never happens....:rolleyes:

No one who uses a walkie talkie is guilty of that, ever. It's the drunks, kids, old people on scooters, women in high heals, people with squeaky shoes, etc. that make all the noise. At least this is what all the walkie talkie users keep telling us to distract us from their shouting into their radios. :rolleyes:

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSHKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What!!!!!!!????

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!KKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSKKKKKK!~~!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT!?

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

MOM?

WHO!!!!?????

NO!!!!! SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!?

WHO!!!!!!!!

NO!!! NOT YOU!!!! MOM?

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

GET OFF THIS CHANNEL!!!!!! WE USE!!!!!!!

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! YOU MOVE?

MOM!??? WHER ARE YOU!!!!?

NO!!! ICAN'T HOLLER LOUDER!!!!!!!!!

WHERE!!!!!!!???????

pause

"Right behind you. Turn that thing off before someone kills us."

----------------

Repeat ad nausem.

Impressive vocabulary and pronunciation for an 11 month old.

I rather doubt this. In dozens of threads on this same topic, so many people have reported that they did not work well or at all that they can't be wrong. Rarely does anyone claim they work. If I were a person making a decision on something, I would believe the vast majority of people who advise one action over the very few who advise the opposite.

Simple physics will dictate that walkies cannot work well on a ship. These devices are "line of sight". They require an uninterrupted path for the radio signal to travel. With all the steel on a ship, that path is blocked everywhere. Signals cannot penetrate steel walls, floors, ceilings, and all the pipes and cables running just behind them.

For the crew to have working radios, they use high powered devices, and repeaters are built into the ship at hundreds of strategic locations to bounce the signals throughout the ship.

A consumer based device has none of these benefits. They cannot possible "work well". Perhaps if both users are on the upper decks they will. But never if they are separated by floors or walls.

Walkie talkies sold in the American and Canadian markets are illegal to use in Europe and in much of the world. The frequencies on our radios conflict with public safety frequencies used in many ports of the world. Anyone using them in Europe is breaking the law and subject to severe fines if caught. Plus, it is just rude and inconsiderate to interfere with local communications even if not caught doing it.

I would never advise people to break the local laws for their own convenience.

http://www.walkie-talkie-radio.co.uk/information-about-walkie-talkie-radios/walkie-talkie-international-issues

Take a quick look at the line where you typed "in dozens of threads." This is what I paraphrased to say what you have read. One learns what's there by reading it.

You went further to discuss military service. Thank you for your time to keep me and my families freedoms.

What you have yet to post is your actual experience using the radios aboard a cruise ship. I have. I've done it for a decade with decent results.

We use consumer grade Motorola radios with a full FMRS and GMRS frequency spectrum. Use at sea violates no laws. The gift shop aboard the Freedom had them for sale last week, ones that operated in the same frequency range and the same power.

There remains a difference in our answers. I have given personal experience. Clearly I cannot force you to believe it.

Take a quick look at the line where you typed "in dozens of threads." This is what I paraphrased to say what you have read. One learns what's there by reading it.

Just because I mentioned reading about other people's experiences doesn't in any way indicate I have none for myself. You have made a very broad assumption.

What you have yet to post is your actual experience using the radios aboard a cruise ship. I have. I've done it for a decade with decent results.

We use consumer grade Motorola radios with a full FMRS and GMRS frequency spectrum. Use at sea violates no laws. The gift shop aboard the Freedom had them for sale last week, ones that operated in the same frequency range and the same power.

There remains a difference in our answers. I have given personal experience. Clearly I cannot force you to believe it.

Yes, you are correct. I have not attempted to use them on a cruise ship. I don't need to. I have enough training in electronics, particular radio communications and scanning technologies, that I will not even attempt it because I know it will be futile. The laws of physics do not vary from person to person. Physics is always in action, and without favoring any one over the other, and is not prejudiced against some while overlooking others. Physics treats everyone equally.

Why should I attempt something I know will not work? You seem to think that is a failing, a weakness. I know that eating garbage is not good for my health. Do I need to try it so I will have "experience" before I can say I have knowledge of this? I know that driving into a wall at high speed could kill me. Do I need to try it so I can claim "experience" to back up my belief?

So, no, I do not need to purchase cheap, consumer grade walkie talkies to prove to myself that they won't work. I already know they cannot possible work well unless they are being used on the same deck, with few obstructions between the users. And I know they cannot possible work between decks because of the steel obstructions encountered. Physics is not something you can turn off and on at will.

Nor do I want to burden myself with such unnecessary devices on a cruise. I have no need to know what my traveling companions are doing at any given time. I have no desire to be tethered to them in return. I also have no desire to impose on other passengers around me by being rude when using walkie talkies around them.

And that last point is the one that I am most adamant about. Although I do not have personal experience USING walkie talkies on a cruise ship, I do have personal experience being around people using them. They are about the most annoying people on a cruise ship. Without a doubt, every single one I have had the unfortunate displeasure of coming into contact with, has been inconsiderate, annoying, and rude to the people around them. Everyone of these users seemingly had the attitude that if we didn't like the interruptions they forced upon us, it was up to us to go somewhere else.

You say you aren't that kind of person? I will tell you that if you are indeed accurate, you are a very rare person indeed. And, having dabbled in psychology in my college years, I would be willing to bet that you, along with all the others, either do not realize how annoying you are when you use your devices, or just don't care.

I actually do have experience using consumer grade walkie talkies for outings with family and friends, such as hiking, or certain games that use them as part of their activities. So I know their strengths and weaknesses. My favorite brand is Cobra, model 310WRX. I have nineteen of them to share with friends during these activities. So I am very familiar with using these devices. But not on a cruise ship, where my military training - and experience - tells me they cannot possibly work well at all.

So, let us assume that everyone agrees with you. There would them be over 2000 passengers, each with their walkee talkee, chatting away, having annoying message beeps go off, etc. And you might be trying to relax in a deck chair as these things are going off all around you, static is filling the air, etc. And of course there are the folks that would use them during an indoor show...but we will assume only half the passengers are this rude. So with over 500 folks talking on their walkee talkees during a show do you think some folks might be a little upset?

And by the way, that US walkee talkee (using our CB channels) are illegal throughout Europe (they use different frequencies and have lower power in units meant for Europe). Not only could your radio interfere with other European communications (such as emergency freqs) but you are lucky that you did not get arrested (and have your radio confiscated).

Hank

I don't use them during an indoor show when I'm sitting beside my partner. In fact it's not even on me when we're together.

We don't have lengthy conversations; a quick question and a one or two word answer.

When I'm alone trying to relax on my deck chair I dislike when a family of 4 or 5 are climbing over my chair instead of walking around. What about those elevators when 20 people are barging into the elevator before the 15 people inside even try to get out. But hey, there are rude people everywhere but not everybody is rude.

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSHKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What!!!!!!!????

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!KKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSKKKKKK!~~!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT!?

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

MOM?

WHO!!!!?????

NO!!!!! SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!?

WHO!!!!!!!!

NO!!! NOT YOU!!!! MOM?

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

GET OFF THIS CHANNEL!!!!!! WE USE!!!!!!!

SKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! YOU MOVE?

MOM!??? WHER ARE YOU!!!!?

NO!!! ICAN'T HOLLER LOUDER!!!!!!!!!

WHERE!!!!!!!???????

pause

"Right behind you. Turn that thing off before someone kills us."

----------------

Repeat ad nausem.

Best post I've seen on CC so far today.:)

I really am ignorant of the cruise world. DW and I have been cruising together for over 30 years (and I started about forty years ago) and have spent several years on cruise ships all over the world. When we board a ship and get to our cabin, our cell phones get turned off and locked in the safe. We do use the internet a few minutes a day to retrieve and respond to e-mails but that is about it for communications. Because we have cruised a lot on 14 lines we often get free internet (on just about every line except HAL) and on Princess we actually got 1,000 free minutes on our last cruise. We managed to use less then 100 of those minutes over 25 days :).

When we go to good restaurants we will often see couples having a "very romantic" dinner. Neither talk to each other, pay little attention to their food, but they sure do each text throughout dinner (perhaps they are texting each other because they do not know how to have a conversation). We know of 1 restaurant that actually gives a discount to diners who leave their cell phones at the front desk :). And on cruise ships we have seen entire families in the MDR where everyone is on their phones (either texting of playing games) with nobody paying attention to anyone else at the table.

So now we get the walkie talkee issue. I am again puzzled how in the world DW and I (and our DD who cruised with us many times when she was young) survived (and even loved) our cruises. We never used a walkee talkee or cell phone. I think we actually agreed when a where to meet (what a novel idea). Yes, I know. We are simply old fogies who have no clue about the world. Just imagine, not using Facebook, chats, texts, etc for a few weeks! It is true heaven for us. And somehow we can travel for months a year, keep our communications to a minimum, and somehow survive. Hard to imagine :)

Hank

My cell comes out for the ports (I had preprogrammed phone numbers for the local taxi companies before the cruise). The rest of the time...in the nightstand drawer.

We use notes on the door. This worked really well on our last cruise. Even our teen would write her next destination on our running list. (She had no interest in carrying around any device, including her phone, while running around on the ship). And now that she's at college, we "talk" via Skype messages. I guess she's like me and just prefers to use computers to communicate.

Hi Jessica,

I see from your previous posts that you have been on other cruises before. And now you get to experience a family vacation with your baby! Sounds like fun. :) I hope you all have a wonderful time together.

Having said that, we all know what you've said here - that the response to walkie-talkies is generally negative. Yes, it is. My guess is that you know why that is. When people use them, they are infringing on others' vacation time. It becomes annoying. It's frustrating. It's generally not a good thing. Indeed, you have asked for some recommendations but I will echo the sentiment and politely ask you to please reconsider using them. Perhaps post-it notes are not the best idea going, but certainly there are other ways to keep in contact with each other. It's none of my business, but do you really think you will be separated from your husband for such a length of time? I'm sure you will both be taking care of baby. :)

Obviously, my reply contains un-asked for advice and that never goes down here very well on these boards. This is not parenting advice... it is simply a request from another passenger, to please reconsider using the walkie-talkies. Many thousands of parents have taken family vacations and never needed them, our family included.

Have a great time. :)

Karen,

Thank you so much. Your post was the most direct to my question and I truly appreciate it.

We went back and forth between post its, phones, and walkies and after even FURTHER discussion, we will be sticking with post it notes, messages on the cabin phone, and texting if need be. We are not those people who enjoy disturbing others- the reason we debated walkies originally was to avoid jostling the little one around inside and outside to access a phone or leave a sticky note. He is a very light sleeper so if I'm walking with him and jostle him, he's up. We take whatever quiet time we can get so this is why we looked at ALL options. My fault for not further explaining it in depth as to why we were looking at them to begin with.

We both use radios on a daily basis for our jobs so we are EXTREMELY comfortable using them- another reason we considered them.

Anyway, thank you for those who offered input/opinions.

But physics has not. Steel walls, floors and ceilings have always been, and will always be, a barrier to radio signals. Besides, we aren't talking about military or aviation grade radios costing thousands of dollars. We're talking about cheap consumer grade electronics costing about $20 per unit.

Although my tour of duty was decades, what makes you think that I haven't kept up with technology for my own use, or for business purposes? Some of us actually use facts instead of opinions in our arguments.

I don't disagree, but ballfour was talking about his experiences using them. That's what the OP was asking about. You gave very useful info also. I think what ballfour was complaining about, are the posters that come on here and give their personal opinion of people using radios onboard.

Technology has changed in 45 years

Well, not so much...

In the Twin Towers, at Ground Zero, firefighters couldn't consistently communicate. A large structure, with lots of steel, and far better radios than what are proposed for use on the ship.

A few years after that, my fire agency was installing the newest, best emergency radio system. Guess what we discovered? It has difficulty in metal building!! And no building in my area is more than 7 or 8 stories tall.

So, radio waves have not improved...they still have troubles going through metal. And the personal radios mentioned here are far lower power and tech than the ones we as firefighters carry.

I don't disagree, but ballfour was talking about his experiences using them. That's what the OP was asking about. You gave very useful info also. I think what ballfour was complaining about, are the posters that come on here and give their personal opinion of people using radios onboard.

He also falsely gives hope to people considering their use when he claims "no trouble" with them. Someone who is trying to make a decision could read that misinformation and then waste money, time and frustration trying them out. I don't think it is in the best interest of anyone to give them dubious information to make decisions on, no matter what the topic is. If hundreds of people report they have had problems using them, experts in radio communications report the reasons why, and then one person claims that they have no trouble and stubbornly refused to acknowledge their limitations, that person's "experience" must be challenged.

Call your cell phone provider and request an international talk and text package for the week of your cruise only - it only costs me $50. With my plan I get 1 hour talk and unlimited texts. Problem solved.

Does that work with the ship's cell tower?

Does that work with the ship's cell tower?

That is my question, as well.

That would work fine in ports but on the ship, don't all signals have to go through the ship's satellite and are charged accordingly?

That is my question, as well.

That would work fine in ports but on the ship, don't all signals have to go through the ship's satellite and are charged accordingly?

That's my understanding, also. Essentially, you dial your phone, the signal goes to the ship's cell tower, to the satellite, back to the ship's cell tower, to the phone of the person you're calling. Generally fairly costly to make a phone call this way.

Because, besides the cost of your particular plan, you pay whatever the ship charges are for using a phone.

Edited by Shmoo here