Cabin class for babies and toddlers

Veng

My wife and I have cruised a couple of times, generally ending up in an oceanview cabin. We've found this to be more than roomy for the two of us. However, we've now got 2 kids who will be about 2.5 years old and just turning 1 year old the next time we cruise. We've taken the kids on trips that don't involve ships and we've found that 1 bed room suites work really well and aren't that much more expensive than a regular hotel room. We can put the kids to sleep in the living room and still enjoy the TV (on mute) and have some time to our selves at night before turning in without disturbing the kids.

I did some looking at suites and it looks like I have to go up to grand suite perhaps to have a divided-by-curtain bedroom and much higher to have a true bedroom. Is this true or is there something I'm missing? How well do your kids sleep with you doing anything on the other side of that flimsy curtain? Or should I just stay a land-lover for a few years till they get older?

Thanks in advanced!

Your logic sounds find. However, the key is researching the ship you are looking at (you didn't mention a ship or cruise line). Not all cruise lines have their suites configured the way you desire. For example, on Holland America the standard suite wouldn't meet your needs. However, the Penthouse would, quite well.

Your logic sounds find. However, the key is researching the ship you are looking at (you didn't mention a ship or cruise line). Not all cruise lines have their suites configured the way you desire. For example, on Holland America the standard suite wouldn't meet your needs. However, the Penthouse would, quite well.

Sorry, I had been looking at Royal. We'd be looking for something to sail out of Galveston/Houston this time, so the other options on cruise lines would be Disney, Carnival, Norwegian, or Princess. Our last cruise was to Alaska with Princess and while we weren't disappointed, we generally felt Royal was a better fit to our lifestyles. Haven't tried Carnival, but relatives who had who I respect have suggested it's worth it to pay a little more to cruise with one of the other lines. I really like the idea of Disney, but well, there's nothing cheap about a Disney cruise.

My wife and I have cruised a couple of times, generally ending up in an oceanview cabin. We've found this to be more than roomy for the two of us. However, we've now got 2 kids who will be about 2.5 years old and just turning 1 year old the next time we cruise. We've taken the kids on trips that don't involve ships and we've found that 1 bed room suites work really well and aren't that much more expensive than a regular hotel room. We can put the kids to sleep in the living room and still enjoy the TV (on mute) and have some time to our selves at night before turning in without disturbing the kids.

I did some looking at suites and it looks like I have to go up to grand suite perhaps to have a divided-by-curtain bedroom and much higher to have a true bedroom. Is this true or is there something I'm missing? How well do your kids sleep with you doing anything on the other side of that flimsy curtain? Or should I just stay a land-lover for a few years till they get older?

Thanks in advanced!

until they are old enough to sleep in a pullman or pull out sofa, your options are extremely limited. GS only have the curtain and the sofa might sleep 2 if they don't mind sharing( no pullmans which is okay since you have to be like 6 to use them) the TV is on the OTHER side of the curtain forma he bed and access tot he balcony is also in the main living area.

the 2 BR suites or any Family cabin( all levels.. inside through balcony) have minimum occupancy requirements( usually 5) and will use pullmans for at least half the beds.

there MIGHT be room for a pack n play in a GS and the older child can sleep on the couch, but when the couch is made up there will be zero room to move around .

Thanks in advanced!

You don't mention which cruise line you want to sail. Some cruise lines offer Family Verandah Cabins that are at least 2 rooms (some ships on Celebrity) which they don't show on their website until after final payment, so you must call to ask about them, while others offer Family Suites that are more than 1 room (NCL). In either, be certain to engage the child proof locks at the top of the sliding door to the verandah. RCCL offers Family Suites - which are quite expensive and very nice.

But let me mention this: Babies in diapers cannot go into the pool, even with a swim diaper and most cruise lines don't have anything for children under 2 that the parents don't have to attend as well so you would have to spend 24x7 caring for your little ones on the ship. It is also difficult to use strollers on ships - you wind up having to use an umbrella stroller. I'm wondering if it might be better and more relaxing for everyone to do a land vacation until your little ones are potty trained and just a bit older? Then, consider RCCL as they have an excellent Royal Babies program and even baby sitting services on their larger ships.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

We sail exclusively RCI...so I can only speak about them.

There are connecting cabins (not many) that have a balcony connecting to an inside cabin (example Freedom class cabins #9696 &9701).

Also there are FOV that have a seperated (by curtain) 2nd sleeping area...while you usually need a minimum of 5 to book these they at times become available to book online for less than that min. occupancy.

We have been lucky a few times and I've gotten (example FOV # 8500 on Radiance calss) booked for just two adults and one toddler ( family just did Alaska two weeks ago in this cabin)...You just have to constantly keep checking and be ready to snap it up (late nights for us here on the west coast...very lucky).

We sailed with DS, DDIL and 19 month old GS. The Royal Baby & Tots program that is offered on most RCI ships is AMAZING...really something that would work well for your family too.

We have done over 20+ cruises with RCI but sailing with toddlers is new for us...but has actually been easier than we ever could imagine...the family time and memories we're making = priceless !!!

Enjoy traveling with your little ones no need to put it off :)

there MIGHT be room for a pack n play in a GS and the older child can sleep on the couch, but when the couch is made up there will be zero room to move around .

I think I have heard that the pack n play can fit into the area behind the bar, but I agree that it would be a tighter fit for PnP and open sofa in GS - but it might be doable. There are plenty of people who put 4 people in an inside cabin, which is almost half as big as GS.

And out of Galveston, I think OP would be looking at Liberty next year, and I think the GS is almost 400 sq ft, which is fairly good size - you get the tub and huge bathroom, priority embarking/disembarking (which is great with little ones), an in-room dining (also great if the kids go down early or are just having a bad day). And Liberty has a has nursery and baby splash area, so perfect ship for little ones.

I think I have heard that the pack n play can fit into the area behind the bar, but I agree that it would be a tighter fit for PnP and open sofa in GS - but it might be doable. There are plenty of people who put 4 people in an inside cabin, which is almost half as big as GS.

And out of Galveston, I think OP would be looking at Liberty next year, and I think the GS is almost 400 sq ft, which is fairly good size - you get the tub and huge bathroom, priority embarking/disembarking (which is great with little ones), an in-room dining (also great if the kids go down early or are just having a bad day). And Liberty has a has nursery and baby splash area, so perfect ship for little ones.

Doesn't some of the FOV on the Freedom class ships have tubs (thought they did). The shower thing for little ones isn't that bad...actually easy to do because of the sliding shower head...I missed this on the Oasis class...hope it isn't something their going to continue on HOTS.

Doesn't some of the FOV on the Freedom class ships have tubs (thought they did). The shower thing for little ones isn't that bad...actually easy to do because of the sliding shower head...I missed this on the Oasis class...hope it isn't something their going to continue on HOTS.

You know - I am not sure about the FOV on Freedom. I just looked at the Freedom gallery, but they do not have pictures of this type of cabin. I know the Junior Suites have tubs. The OP asked about a GS, so was just trying to talk up some of the things they may find useful for this type of cabin. :D