Coffee on HAL Ships?

Boiler Cruiser

My DW and I drink a lot of coffee...anywhere from 2-4 cups a day, sometimes more. As a result, we have become familiar with what good coffee is like and what lesser coffees taste like.

I was wondering about the availability of brewed coffee on board HAL ships? Do you need a prepaid coffee card to avoid getting coffee made from syrup concentrate?

Where on board can I get coffee in the morning? I usually get up EARLY! Can I go somewhere and fill my insulated coffee mug with brewed coffee?

What kind of coffee to they serve in the dining rooms or the Lido?

Thanks!

also room service can bring you coffee. I get up early also and head up to the Lido and enjoy coffee with the other early birds. Coffee is available there before they start breakfast service. It may be there all nite but I am not sure. I find coffee is a personal thing. I don't believe anyone who adds a half cup of cream and 2 T of sugar to coffee can tell what coffee tastes like!! I think the coffee in the main dining room is different than the Lido.

I have noticed that the state of the coffee machine on the Lido deck is more important than any other factor. Some ships do an excellent job of keeping these machines very clean. This makes for much better coffee. Now I learned to make coffee in the Navy as well as to drink it there. We made 65 gallons at a time and we made it in coppers. I drink my coffee black and I do not like specialty coffees at all. Most cruise ship coffee ranges from tolerable to very good. If one wants to find really bad coffee, hit the pot in almost any rail yard office. :eek:

Neptune Lounge arguably the best coffee on the ship. If you have Explore 4 you can use Beverage Package at Explorations.

I agree Neptune Lounge has the best coffee on the ships. That coffee maker is wonderful.

If you happen to be in Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, you will likely enjoy Neptune Lounge coffee.

Unfortunately, the coffee served in the Lido and MDR are the too typical awful cruise ship coffee! This drives me nutz as there is no reason why HAL (and the other mass market lines) cannot have decent coffee in all venues. At one time HAL would boast that they only used "Seattle's Best" which is pretty good stuff. But now, like other lines they have sold out to the low bidder. Good coffee does exist, but it is only at venues where you pay. As to the Neptune Lounge, one can pay a few hundred dollars a day for a suite to get access, and then you do get some good coffee at no extra charge :).

When on HAL one can often find me waiting for my brew at Explorations.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Good coffee is very important to us, too.

I typically travel with the little Starbucks via packets. It's much different than instant coffee, so if you haven't tried it, I would pick some up.

No, the Via packets are not as good as good coffee freshly brewed, but the Via is consistently better than what's available on the ship.

My DH and I also enjoy iced coffee, in which case we either make it with the Via, or bring a few bottles of concentrated Stumptown cold brew with us. Our last few trips were all land resorts, not cruises, and we did this there.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

'not really the best' is a huge understatement.

HAL's Lido coffee is awful. It's terrible. It is watered down something, but not coffee.

Don't get me wrong. This is not a knock on HAL. Celebrity and Princess are no better.

Buy a coffee card, bring your own Via or even a French Press to use in the Lido.

I work at a local Starbucks, and we hyped the Via for travel :)

I wasn't crazy for the coffee, but it did the trick for me. I'm not a fan of really, really dark roasted coffees.

I suggest finding the local coffee shop. I came across two, (Eurodam's ports of call) this past September/October.

I'm curious -- what kind of coffee maker is in the Neptune Lounge? Is it some sort of professional machine? And/or is it the quality of the coffee that's used that makes it good (or better)?

It is a wonderful machine, and makes espresso and the coffee is always good. However, the majority of passengers do not have access to the Neptune Lounge, so have to make do with the coffee in the Lido or MDR until Explorations Cafe opens. Not sure what time that is, but not early enough!

Unfortunately, the coffee served in the Lido and MDR are the too typical awful cruise ship coffee! This drives me nutz as there is no reason why HAL (and the other mass market lines) cannot have decent coffee in all venues. At one time HAL would boast that they only used "Seattle's Best" which is pretty good stuff. But now, like other lines they have sold out to the low bidder. Good coffee does exist, but it is only at venues where you pay. As to the Neptune Lounge, one can pay a few hundred dollars a day for a suite to get access, and then you do get some good coffee at no extra charge :).

When on HAL one can often find me waiting for my brew at Explorations.

Hank

How much does the coffee (regular black coffee) in the Explorations cost?

It is a wonderful machine, and makes espresso and the coffee is always good. However, the majority of passengers do not have access to the Neptune Lounge, so have to make do with the coffee in the Lido or MDR until Explorations Cafe opens. Not sure what time that is, but not early enough!

Thanks. I found a photo on a blog:

https://hollandamericanewbie.wordpress.com/tag/neptune-lounge/

I've used very similar machines on other cruises (Swan Hellenic has one in the buffet area, available to all) and in some hotels in Europe.

I was hoping maybe it was a real espresso machine....