RC not honoring booked fare.

So if RCCL didn't "cheat" and a glitch caused your sea pass to be over billed that would be okay too?

There is no way they can honor this, no company does. If they did they would be hacked and be giving almost free cruises away constantly. Fair play has to win out, and RCCL offering the $200 credit definitely falls into the fair play catagory.

They have honored prices like this in the past as previous posters said, which is why I wanted to let everyone know that books with these glitches that there is a strong possibility that they will not be honored.

This looks to be their new policy, hopefully if and when it happens again, they won't take 2 weeks to sort everything out.

I think if it was a mistake it's fair for them to correct the mistake and, it seems, in this case they even gave you a bonus for your trouble. If you'd booked air fare or something else that costs you extra then you should try to pursue getting reimbursed for any changes you may need to make.

I think it's unfair for people to take advantage of "computer glitches" and expect the company would have to honor that mistake. It's like a misprinted ad in a newspaper. Mistakes happen.

At least RCI was willing to own the mistake by giving you the future cruise $$$ to help offset another booking.

Tom

I have seen newspapers with stores apologizing for wrong prices in their ads. They then show the correct price. Like you said, mistakes happen.

If someone received a bill from their utility company that was $100 higher than it should have been, I bet that person would expect the utility company to rebill the customer for the correct amount. It's a two-way street.

The price you saw was an "Invitation to Treat"

In response you would make an "Offer to Treat"

If that offer is acceptable they will "Accept the offer"

When those three steps are completed you then have a contract. The price you saw of $190pp was their invitation to treat. When you made the booking you were making an offer to treat. The crucial part is the next bit. If they have responded to you indicating that they have accepted your offer then you have a contract. That could be in accepting the payment, replying with a booking number or just an automated email from the system saying that it has been accepted.

I know this as many years ago I bought a camera that the company had offered with an incorrect price on their website. When an order was placed it responded with an email to say it had been accepted and would be delivered shortly. The company argued in court that the sale was void as they had not taken money from the credit card but they lost as the email of acknowledgment was enough to seal the contract. They had to honour all the orders placed. I got a camera and learned about contract law.

I went to a pricing history website and this case was an extreme example of a glitch and it is a case where it was very clear there was an error.

They actually had all categories that were still open for sale switch to $190 for some amount of time on the 3rd of October, including even Junior Suites.

The fact that all categories were selling at the same rate would clearly indicate to anyone booking that this was a glitch.

If this would have been limited in scope to a single category or on a sailing where there were actually major price drops already, they most likely would have honored the fare. It is clear that a cruise so far out from final payment would not have such severe cuts.

I am glad that they did at least offer you some form of compensation for their error.

I I recall, a few years ago, there was an instance where pricing for some flights (can't recall the airline) were unbelievably cheap and many folks took advantage of this computer faux pas. The airline tried to cancel these bookings, but the terrible PR forced them to back off.

I I recall, a few years ago, there was an instance where pricing for some flights (can't recall the airline) were unbelievably cheap and many folks took advantage of this computer faux pas. The airline tried to cancel these bookings, but the terrible PR forced them to back off.

I recall the US airline had to honor them because US has strict consumer protection act that if a glitch happened in the booking system, they are compelled to honor the price.

I recalled some folks took advantage of it and booked first class tickets from mainland to Hawaii for less than $100 and it was honored

So this US law applies only to airlines but not cruise lines?

I recall the US airline had to honor them because US has strict consumer protection act that if a glitch happened in the booking system, they are compelled to honor the price.

I recalled some folks took advantage of it and booked first class tickets from mainland to Hawaii for less than $100 and it was honored

So this US law applies only to airlines but not cruise lines?

Had nothing to do with US consumer laws--it was the backlash and a pr nightmare that coaxed the airline.

The price you saw was an "Invitation to Treat"

In response you would make an "Offer to Treat"

If that offer is acceptable they will "Accept the offer"

When those three steps are completed you then have a contract. The price you saw of $190pp was their invitation to treat. When you made the booking you were making an offer to treat. The crucial part is the next bit. If they have responded to you indicating that they have accepted your offer then you have a contract. That could be in accepting the payment, replying with a booking number or just an automated email from the system saying that it has been accepted.

I know this as many years ago I bought a camera that the company had offered with an incorrect price on their website. When an order was placed it responded with an email to say it had been accepted and would be delivered shortly. The company argued in court that the sale was void as they had not taken money from the credit card but they lost as the email of acknowledgment was enough to seal the contract. They had to honour all the orders placed. I got a camera and learned about contract law.

Do you realize that Australian law re: a camera applies not to other items elsewhere? Hope so. Also realize that cruis contracts are long documents written by lawyers to protect the companies. Not only does this Op likely not have an enforceable contract, but realize that cruiselines can accept deposits from many, many people at fair or high prices, then later turn around and charter the ship that week, displacing all those passengers.

Op, I am glad you always knew the price was too good to be true and glad they gave you something for your trouble. Pity it took two weeks, though.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Op, I am glad you always knew the price was too good to be true and glad they gave you something for your trouble. Pity it took two weeks, though.

The future cruise credit as compensation for their mistake is actually very fair and reasonable, at least the OP got something for his trouble.

My overall experiences in dealing with RCCL is actually very fair and reasonable as well, better than other mainstream cruise lines.

Back when RCCL cancelled my cruise due to charters..not only they offered $100 OBC, they also offered to reimburse my airline rebooking fees up to $200..

I had the same cancellation experience due to redeployment with NCL and they just gave me $50 and nothing else..

I've read that others were also given just $50 when NCL cancelled so many cruises due to its Asia/Australia redeployment strategy few months ago..

Edited by roquejo

Actually, there are consumer protection laws that apply to all businesses operating in the US. Now, I am not an attorney...don't play one on television and did not stay in that hotel chain last night...but if you are determined you may want to see if the elements of a contract exists. There are not many...just offer, acceptance and consideration. The offer part is easy...it was posted on THEIR site. Acceptance happened when you made the booking so if you paid a deposit that should meet the consideration requirement. Might be worth fighting them if you did nothing to trigger re-pricing according to the terms of the contract.

Ask yourself, can they charge the higher price of everyone who is already booked when the price goes up?

Years ago (1985) I wore boots all the time. I was in one of the better stores and there was a pair of exotic skin boots on the sales rack. I looked at the price tag and there was the original price ($450) and a sale price tag ($99). I happened to be taking Business Law at the time and we had just had a lengthy discussion about stores in this state being required to honor the LOWEST price they put a product IF two prices are visible. I grabbed the boots and made my way to the register as fast as possible. They complained and asked me to consider splitting the difference as a clerk marked the wrong boots. I declined that offer and told them to ring up the sale at the lowest price. I wore them for 4 years and gave them away.

One reason I refuse service to lawyers is the nitpicking attitude when it comes to obvious errors.

I would never expect a retailer to provide me a price just because some employee mistagged an item.

The bottom of the ocean joke applies here.

One reason I refuse service to lawyers is the nitpicking attitude when it comes to obvious errors.

I would never expect a retailer to provide me a price just because some employee mistagged an item.

The bottom of the ocean joke applies here.

Why would you NOT expect a business to honor their own price? I assume you are not an "expert" as defined by the law in every field so you can only rely on them to tell you what you must pay.

Hypothetical situation...you are in a flea market and see a large uncut stone in a box labeled "semi-precious" in one of the booths. You ask the person the price and they tell you $100. Sounds fair so you buy it and go on you merry way. A few months later you take it to a jeweler to have it cut and put into a necklace. They examine the stone and tell you it is actually a diamond and worth $1,000,000. Are you going back to the flea market and give the vendor more money?

Leave it to a lawyer to create strawman arguments.

I don't expect sellers of any size, large or tiny, to be mandated to sell an item at the price marked anymore. If I see a price is too low, I will try to buy it, but in situations where I figure there is a mistake, I fully expect a reversal if the problem was due to a computer or data entry error.

The reason I feel confident in accepting a refund is because companies that have to follow through on errors just end up charging everyone else more to make up for it. So when you get your $90 mistake price boots, everyone else pays a bit more to make up for it.

The reason I refuse service to lawyers is because of exactly this junk. I would rather not vend/sell to lawyers and nitpickers because I prefer not to have to raise my prices for good customers.

So this is about the Adventure price glitches...has anybody gotten any calls regarding the Jewel price glitches? I booked at a little more than $400pp for a balcony and my reservation still shows active with that price.

When I find unbelievable deals anywhere I keep quiet. The less attention you bring to the deal the better chance when they find the mistake they will let it ride. Especially if it's 3 people who capitalized on it instead of 300.

When I find unbelievable deals anywhere I keep quiet. The less attention you bring to the deal the better chance when they find the mistake they will let it ride. Especially if it's 3 people who capitalized on it instead of 300.

That's obviously wise but I also tend to see a lot of cruisers who love to brag about the deal they snagged. Weird, but human nature to some degree.

So this is about the Adventure price glitches...has anybody gotten any calls regarding the Jewel price glitches? I booked at a little more than $400pp for a balcony and my reservation still shows active with that price.

The OP booked on that pricing error too so will be interesting to see if they lose that reservation too.

The OP booked on that pricing error too so will be interesting to see if they lose that reservation too.

Along with a lot of people who booked Jewel on here. I asked in the roll call to see if anybody has gotten calls.

Yes, it's dissapointing for those that the pricing wasn't honored, but I'm not at all surprised and can't blame RCI in the least.

In May of this year, the US DOT has stated that airlines do not have to honor fares that were listed incorrectly.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83516284/

Can't blame cruise lines for following suit.

Edited by tropiclvrs

Correct. I hope not. I have 2 rooms booked on that as well. Funny thing is I normally book Grand Suites or higher when cruising, so they get my money from those bookings When I saw these great deals for the Jewel balcony, I thought I would lock in the price and eventually upgrade to the Royal Suite (since it was available) since it was my 25 year anniversary. After this, I don't think I will upgrade and give up my price on the Jewel room, so they can charge 2- 3 times more for the room.

Edited by irishgal432

Do you realize that Australian law re: a camera applies not to other items elsewhere? Hope so.

The camera was offered by a US company in the UK and I was in Australia. The contract law which I talked about is common to all three countries and I checked that before making my post.

Actually, there are consumer protection laws that apply to all businesses operating in the US. Now, I am not an attorney...don't play one on television and did not stay in that hotel chain last night...but if you are determined you may want to see if the elements of a contract exists. There are not many...just offer, acceptance and consideration. The offer part is easy...it was posted on THEIR site. Acceptance happened when you made the booking so if you paid a deposit that should meet the consideration requirement. Might be worth fighting them if you did nothing to trigger re-pricing according to the terms of the contract.

Ask yourself, can they charge the higher price of everyone who is already booked when the price goes up?

That is the same thing I was saying. If a mistake puts up a ridiculous price through an error and you decide to take up that offer but the company realises their mistake then you have no claim. Only two of the three aspects of the contract have been completed. The third and final part was not successful. The problem is that many companies automate the process these days and their IT system does the third part without review. The consumer then has a valid contract. You may say that as it's an error then it should not be valid as the company is losing money but that is the risk they take when making money by not spending the time to review each sale before confirmation. It's a risk that they are prepared to take and sometimes it goes against them. That is their business model and overall it would be profitable for them. In this rare case it wasn't. Of course there is being right and then there is the hassle of enforcing it. I was lucky in that the camera I purchased was one of thousands sold. There was a large group and it resulted in the law being enforced. The OP here probably will be alone. One avenue that they could investigate is a small claims court. I do not know if they have them there but they do exist in many places. It will be a court set up to deal with matters below a certain amount, here I think it may be $10000, and there is restrictions on costs too.

The camera was offered by a US company in the UK and I was in Australia. The contract law which I talked about is common to all three countries and I checked that before making my post.

Have you read your cruise contract? If you want to add to all your pre-cruise anxieties, read the contract carefully. This is not a camera.