RC not honoring booked fare.

Just a cautionary tale for those who find "computer glitch" prices that they may be too good to be true. I have read here on CC many instances of computer glitches that changed prices on some sailings without having those reservations cancelled.

I booked a cruise (paid the deposit) on October 2nd on Adventure of the Seas leaving on March 12, 2016 for 190.00 pp for a D3 balcony.

Fast forward to today October 19th (2 weeks later), I get a call from Revenue saying they are cancelling the reservation because there is no price associated with the reservation even though I booked at 190.00 pp and it was a computer glitch and they were not honoring the price.

They did offer a 200.00 Future cruise credit for my inconvenience. The person in revenue could not answer any questions regarding the FCC and gave me the customer service number to call.

After calling customer service, I was told that my TA had to call to get since I transferred it to them. The TA confirmed they would not honor the price by stating it was in their terms and conditions they could change the price and category at their discretion.

So the morale of the story, if it's too good to be true, it normally is.:(

It's definitely in the T&Cs -- and it doesn't really surprise me. Had something similar to happen to a website I run where someone discovered that a certain coupon code could be entered repeatedly until the orders were all $0. Then they posted it on a forum and probably 200 people jumped on the deal. I cancelled them all once I got in on Monday and had to deal with probably 50 people threatening to sue me (lolol) so I just forwarded their emails to my expensive lawyer who explained nicely to them how much it will cost them when we win, ha.

It's always worth booking a mistaken fare in the event that they don't cancel it, but if they do, it's acceptable to me.

It's definitely in the T&Cs -- and it doesn't really surprise me. Had something similar to happen to a website I run where someone discovered that a certain coupon code could be entered repeatedly until the orders were all $0. Then they posted it on a forum and probably 200 people jumped on the deal. I cancelled them all once I got in on Monday and had to deal with probably 50 people threatening to sue me (lolol) so I just forwarded their emails to my expensive lawyer who explained nicely to them how much it will cost them when we win, ha.

It's always worth booking a mistaken fare in the event that they don't cancel it, but if they do, it's acceptable to me.

True. I wish they would have come back on Monday and cancelled instead of waiting 2 weeks. That is the upsetting part.

I would have your TA try again and ask for the Resolutions Dept. I am not saying that it would work but it can't hurt. I could be wrong but it sounds like your TA did not call them for you. Good luck

She got her supervisor on the phone and they called and talked with RC management and she was surprised that they were digging their heels in. She did say if I would have booked with them originally versus transferring, they could have had more pull. Even the RC customer service person said the ta is one of the largest that they deal with.

I was on the phone/hold with them for about 45 minutes.

Weren't you saying to yourself "this cant be right" If I actually saw a deal that seems so crazy good. It think I would have paid the entire reservation in full as opposed to a deposit. I wonder if the outcome would have been any different?

It was a crazy good deal, but I have seen other deals that were crazy good deals as well and those were not cancelled.

I think they are cancelling all of the rooms that were booked whether they were paid in full or not.

Weren't you saying to yourself "this cant be right" If I actually saw a deal that seems so crazy good. It think I would have paid the entire reservation in full as opposed to a deposit. I wonder if the outcome would have been any different?

That's what we did. We got a D2 on the FR for Christmas week last year for $369 per person. It had to be some kind of glitch and yes we paid it off in full IMMEDIATELY. They honored the price for those of us that booked it. It also lasted only a few hours.

It was a crazy good deal, but I have seen other deals that were crazy good deals as well and those were not cancelled.

I think they are cancelling all of the rooms that were booked whether they were paid in full or not.

Over New Year's weekend 2013/14 Royal posted crazy prices for balconies on some sailings. For Navigator it was a May 2014 sailing - Jr Suites for $600 or so and the like. Apparently about 250 people booked that weekend (prices were posted all weekend long) so they honored them but said any change at all would trigger repricing:eek:

This begs the question: how do you know if it's a glitch or just a good price?

Exactly! As a consumer, you are not privy to cost structures. A computer glitch is simply someone programming/coding wrong and no one is in Quality Assurance catches it and it being blamed on the computer.

This begs the question: how do you know if it's a glitch or just a good price?

That's true

There was also a price last year on the FR of $369 for a PR room. Someone was told by RCL that the price was inverted and was supposed to be $639- or so the rumor has it;)

Those prices were honored as well

That's what we did. We got a D2 on the FR for Christmas week last year for $369 per person. It had to be some kind of glitch and yes we paid it off in full IMMEDIATELY. They honored the price for those of us that booked it. It also lasted only a few hours.

You are absolutely right. We've booked a cruise at a crazy low price. It was so cheap, we booked solo adjoining cabins and it landed up being the same price as our friends who booked one cabin. We hurried and paid in full. They did try and send us an invoice a few weeks later, but resolutions handled it for us. No extra charges :D

I think if it was a mistake it's fair for them to correct the mistake and, it seems, in this case they even gave you a bonus for your trouble. If you'd booked air fare or something else that costs you extra then you should try to pursue getting reimbursed for any changes you may need to make.

I think it's unfair for people to take advantage of "computer glitches" and expect the company would have to honor that mistake. It's like a misprinted ad in a newspaper. Mistakes happen.

At least RCI was willing to own the mistake by giving you the future cruise $$$ to help offset another booking.

Tom

I think if it was a mistake it's fair for them to correct the mistake and, it seems, in this case they even gave you a bonus for your trouble. If you'd booked air fare or something else that costs you extra then you should try to pursue getting reimbursed for any changes you may need to make.

I think it's unfair for people to take advantage of "computer glitches" and expect the company would have to honor that mistake. It's like a misprinted ad in a newspaper. Mistakes happen.

At least RCI was willing to own the mistake by giving you the future cruise $$$ to help offset another booking.

Tom

Totally agree

I totally disagree. If you didn't cheat to get the price glitch, (as in repeatedly entering a code, as above), I think you are entitled to it. If you have a valid invoice, they should honor it.

Just a cautionary tale for those who find "computer glitch" prices that they may be too good to be true. I have read here on CC many instances of computer glitches that changed prices on some sailings without having those reservations cancelled.

I booked a cruise (paid the deposit) on October 2nd on Adventure of the Seas leaving on March 12, 2016 for 190.00 pp for a D3 balcony.

Fast forward to today October 19th (2 weeks later), I get a call from Revenue saying they are cancelling the reservation because there is no price associated with the reservation even though I booked at 190.00 pp and it was a computer glitch and they were not honoring the price.

They did offer a 200.00 Future cruise credit for my inconvenience. The person in revenue could not answer any questions regarding the FCC and gave me the customer service number to call.

After calling customer service, I was told that my TA had to call to get since I transferred it to them. The TA confirmed they would not honor the price by stating it was in their terms and conditions they could change the price and category at their discretion.

So the morale of the story, if it's too good to be true, it normally is.:(

Yup, it is definately a glitch. It is too good to be true! RC is not bound to honor anything like that!

Edited by Arzeena

I totally disagree. If you didn't cheat to get the price glitch, (as in repeatedly entering a code, as above), I think you are entitled to it. If you have a valid invoice, they should honor it.

If you listed something on Craigslist for $100, but made a mistake and put down $10. Then someone shows at your door expecting to pay $10 for your item. Will you honor it?

I purchased expensive power tools at Lowes on line for in store pickup last summer at about 10% of what they normally cost.. Absolutely an error. When I showed up at the store with my paid invoice, do you think I waked out with the tool? NO

Stuff happens all the time.

Edited by SeaUs

So if RCCL didn't "cheat" and a glitch caused your sea pass to be over billed that would be okay too?

There is no way they can honor this, no company does. If they did they would be hacked and be giving almost free cruises away constantly. Fair play has to win out, and RCCL offering the $200 credit definitely falls into the fair play catagory.