RC not honoring booked fare.

Have you read your cruise contract? If you want to add to all your pre-cruise anxieties, read the contract carefully. This is not a camera.

That is not the contract which we are discussing. This is the same for any item or service you purchase.

That is not the contract which we are discussing. This is the same for any item or service you purchase.

Maybe you just can't read contracts, then, because this is from RCCL's contract which you agree to when you book or make a deposit or even just visit their website:

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination,

lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Carrier shall not be liable for any

claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement,

substitution or deviation.

Maybe you just can't read contracts, then, because this is from RCCL's contract which you agree to when you book or make a deposit or even just visit their website:

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination,

lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Carrier shall not be liable for any

claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement,

substitution or deviation.

I will admit that I have not read anything other than what has been posted here. But, having read the above excerpt from the cruise contract and the OP's situation, this is not the case. RC did not cancel a "scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity". RC cancelled an individual's reservation. My understanding of the above section means that we have no say or recourse if an entire cruise is cancelled or changed, like with a charter.

Just my $0.02.

That is a fair condition in the contract for the product you have purchased. You will note the clause you quote does not say that they can vary the price once it has been agreed.

Where the problem lies is with the Purchase Contract and that is separate.

I will admit that I have not read anything other than what has been posted here. But, having read the above excerpt from the cruise contract and the OP's situation, this is not the case. RC did not cancel a "scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity". RC cancelled an individual's reservation. My understanding of the above section means that we have no say or recourse if an entire cruise is cancelled or changed, like with a charter.

Just my $0.02.

I would also agree with you. That clause refers to cancelling a sailing or altering the sailing NOT cancelling 1 persons contract while allowing other contracts on the same sailing to remain.

I have always dreamed of coming across one of these crazy low rates. I'm glad I read this thread. Although I accept I may not get to keep the rate, I did learn to increase my odds I should book through a TA and immediately pay for it in full.

I just got a call from a rep in Micheal Baylee's office who said they are standing firm and this is the first time he recalls this happening, but couldn't explain the glitch. It is ironic that the same thing has been reported on the liberty of the seas April 9, 2017 sailing.

So once again it looks like no fare is safe any longer.

Edited by irishgal432

I booked 2 weeks ago. I KNOW it was a glitch - I got my D5 oceanview balcony stateroom for less than Inside Guarantee @ $625 per person. We were only kicking around the idea of travelling and I knew if I didn't book immediately it would get corrected, and it went back to $850 per person 30-60 minutes later. If they alter the price, I can't fault them. If they honor it (and all indications that they will), they've paid for my excursions.

Edited by MikeBTN

I booked 2 weeks ago sailing Allure 11-29. I KNOW it was a glitch - I got my D5 oceanview balcony stateroom for less than Inside Guarantee @ $625 per person. We were only kicking around the idea of travelling and I knew if I didn't book immediately it would get corrected, and it went back to $850 per person 30-60 minutes later. If they alter the price, I can't fault them. If they honor it (and all indications that they will), they've paid for my excursions.

Great deal. Looks they caught it quickly.

OP - If you think the three stages of the contract law have been completed and they are still not honouring the deal then you can take the matter to a Magistrate Court in Georgia

There are a couple of things at play here...

1) Lawsuits against Royal Caribbean must be presented in Miami, FL. Not in Georgia.

2) The Federal Trade Commission has ruled in favor of stores in the past, saying there must be proof of "intent to deceive" with a ridiculously low price. Bait and switch is illegal, such as a low price to get you in the store, and then no such prices on the showroom floor. But the FTC says if it appears to be a pricing error, or website glitch, the company does not have to honor the price.

This was stated by Royal Caribbean to be a pricing error. Therefore, according to the Federal Trade Commission they don't have to honor the price. The OP admits that the price was too good to be true...

That is a fair condition in the contract for the product you have purchased. You will note the clause you quote does not say that they can vary the price once it has been agreed.

Where the problem lies is with the Purchase Contract and that is separate.

And yet court cases in the US to make companies honor pricing mistakes are virtually never successful. Maybe those lawyers and judges don't understand contract law as well as you do?

There are a couple of things at play here...

1) Lawsuits against Royal Caribbean must be presented in Miami, FL. Not in Georgia.

2) The Federal Trade Commission has ruled in favor of stores in the past, saying there must be proof of "intent to deceive" with a ridiculously low price. Bait and switch is illegal, such as a low price to get you in the store, and then no such prices on the showroom floor. But the FTC says if it appears to be a pricing error, or website glitch, the company does not have to honor the price.

This was stated by Royal Caribbean to be a pricing error. Therefore, according to the Federal Trade Commission they don't have to honor the price. The OP admits that the price was too good to be true...

It said on the page that you are entitled to present the case in the location of the local agent. I would have thought there would have been one of those in Georgia.

And yet court cases in the US to make companies honor pricing mistakes are virtually never successful. Maybe those lawyers and judges don't understand contract law as well as you do?

It may also confirm that the US system is tipped in the favour of corporations over the people. Who would have thought? :eek:

It may also confirm that the US system is tipped in the favour of corporations over the people. Who would have thought? :eek:

Where are you from, if not the US?

I travel all of the world, and the prices of EVERYTHING has gotten outrageous compared to the US. Why? Because corporations don't have to deal with as many idiotic lawsuits from angry consumers or idiotic regulations from angry governments, so the cost savings are passed on in lower prices.

Every time someone sues a corporation for a basic error, prices go up for all of those of us who aren't screaming "lawsuit!" when a problem happens.

It said on the page that you are entitled to present the case in the location of the local agent. I would have thought there would have been one of those in Georgia.

Maybe you are reading a different contract. Australian version, not US, perhaps? Nevertheless the case would not be heard in GA.

When people make honest mistakes, said people want individuals and corporations to be reasonable, not rake them over the coals for an honest misplacement of decimal point or such. Same goes for corporation. Tipped or balanced? The OP always knew the price was too good to be true, so this may be balanced though you always want it to be tipped toward consumer. Of course people who are shareholders in these corporations have a stake in corporations being treated fairly too.

Furthermore, posters keep trying over and over again to tell you that your international experience is not so relevant. Will you finally accept that and stop offering unfruitful advice, please?

Edited by Starry Eyes

Yes - Of course I am from the US. I think we are the 58th state or some such thing. :rolleyes:

I recall the catch phrase from Superman "Truth Justice and the American Way" Back then I thought they were all included, now I realise you get to pick just one. :D

Personally...I think it depends on how "good" the posted price is compared to prices previously charge by the company for similar cruises. I also think someone who tries to force them to honor the price could point to any number of times when the company raised the price of a stateroom category for a particular cruise and did not go back and charge that increase to everyone already booked as evidence that prices fluctuate (sometime greatly) up to final payment date.

I saw a story on the news about a court that invalidated a contract because it was too one sided. Does anyone know if someone has ever challenged a cruise line on those grounds? Given some of the wording and the freedom they grant themselves it seems you could make that argument.

I saw a story on the news about a court that invalidated a contract because it was too one sided. Does anyone know if someone has ever challenged a cruise line on those grounds? Given some of the wording and the freedom they grant themselves it seems you could make that argument.

You're talking about "Unconscionability" -- which you can read about here: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/unenforceable-contracts-tips-33079.html

There's nothing unconscionable in the RCCL contract that I've seen. In fact, their contract is really short, completely readable, and way better than most contracts I've seen at hotels or rental car companies.

There are a lot of other laws regarding voyages on the sea as well as transport of people that protect both the passenger and the cruise line.

Things get more complicated as well when you consider all the intermediaries involved (and all of them want to make money): travel agencies (including RCCL's own), insurers, credit card companies and merchant accounts, etc.

Using the courts to enforce a cruise line price is insane. So you got a $2000 cruise for $400 -- do you really have the time to go to court (even small claim's) over $1600? Do you want to risk losing and having the cruise line ask you to take your business elsewhere?

I hate the "lawsuit" types as are apparent even in these forums. I'd prefer to see them go do some other vacation hobby, because they're a pain to deal with on board the ship.

More than once I've had to go to customer service only to have a nitpicker arguing with a rep for an hour, holding up lines, and what not because they assumed they're due something that they aren't.

Out of curiosity, if there is a glitch, how would paying in full be any different from paying a deposit? Why is there an assumption that a reservation paid in full cannot be cancelled? Is there a protection to this in the contract?

Wishful thinking?

The people posting on the forum linked in a previous post clearly knew immediately they were seeing a pricing error. Hard to blame them if they took a shot; they got a $50 credit for their trouble.

So is this Oasis 7/16/2016 sailing, where D8s dropped from $1557 to $978 today, a good price or a glitch?

~ Judy

[Edit: Sorry pic is so small, but it shows Oasis 7/16/16 insides from $733 and balconies from $908 for a peak summer sailing - a few hundred below surrounding dates.]

image.jpg.e98ef252fce5450bb96be4be8ce7bad4.jpg

Edited by FloridaPalms

I would classify that as a good deal. $162 for solos is a glitch.

Actually, that's not even that great of a deal anyway. We have a JS on Freedom this coming March for 2 grand.

Edited by John&LaLa