Denied

kkimber2

Yeah, it feels very similar to another recent thread about being denied booking for vague reasons.

It does feel very similar and actually there was another thread, this is the third one I've seen on this topic in about 10 days. Others were deleted and I think they were both referring to Carnival cruises.

Odd.....

a friend of mine was denied boarding on the NOS this Sunday and is getting a full refund does anyone know why this would happen?

was your friend denied boarding for this past sailing or the upcoming one on the 25th? Did he file on his insurance policy (assuming he got one) and got refunded that way? I think there is more to this story.

If I was going to try to drive you insane, I'd post a story about how I just booked the same cruise you're on and got the cabin next to yours and how happy I am that RCCL approved me bringing my 18 "assistance" cats and said they'd also open the wall between our balconies so the cats would have room to roam.

Oh, how I wish it were true! I love cats and this would make the cruise extra special. LOL

I just find it interesting that the OP is asking us when they can ask their friend. The halfway reason that was given means nothing. I also agree the OP's "friend" knows exactly why. If the OP cares to come back and tell the truth, then we'll know, otherwise, meh.

Since we are all playing the speculation game...

My best guess that would still get him a refund is that his name is on a no-fly list but the no-fly name isn't your friend it is someone else.

So now we have a ship that flies. And passports with less than 6 months to expiration.

My Guess: They are on a new top-secret flying cruise ship flying to Brazil, Cuba and on to Russia where it will tie up in St. Petersburg for 27 weeks before returning to the US to home port in Mobile.

This has Customs & Immigration totally baffled and much to the chagrin of the angry passengers, debarkation is delayed.

If I was going to try to drive you insane, I'd post a story about how I just booked the same cruise you're on and got the cabin next to yours and how happy I am that RCCL approved me bringing my 18 "assistance" cats and said they'd also open the wall between our balconies so the cats would have room to roam.

This one gets my vote for post of the week.

As long as we are engaging in idle speculation, I'll go with:

The friend recently received a medical diagnosis that is keeping them home for treatment (or home to be near a loved one in final days) but does not want to share that with the OP so made up some flimsy thing about being denied boarding to tell the OP.

or

The friend has an outstanding warrant for his arrest, likely for unpaid child support, and just found out about the very real possibility of being arrested upon return, so is backing out but does not want the OP to know he is a scumbag, so made up a flimsy story about being denied boarding.

or

The recent set of vague "denied boarding" threads are really someone who wants to back out of a cruise and is looking for a plausible excuse to give those sailing with them (or maybe they lied and never booked and do not want to be exposed and need a plausible excuse).

Well my friend said he was denied to board due to some port laws. He told them that he had his passport and was still told he was not able to go. Which he thought was weird considering he had been to the countries we are sailing to already before. Which made him a little upset was they waited till the friday before we sail to notify him of this. I asked him if he had a criminal record and such he had told me was arrested once but it was dissmissed. So he still isn't sure what the law is that is prohibiting him to sail

How recent is the arrest/dismissal? That may be the reason. Arrest and/or police records have been known to affect travel.

What's with all the wild speculation.

The obvious answer is usually correct. He is an alien and wanted by the inter-galactic council.

But surely that wouldn't deny him boarding, they'd just beam him up.:confused:;)

Ok everyone, thanks for your input. I have talked to my friend since I posted the question the first time. We are set to sail this Sunday to Cozumel, Belize and Honduras. He was called by "security" last friday and was told due to some port laws he is unable to board and will be given a full refund. I did ask what port law he gave me a vague excuse and said he had the same problems when going to and from Canada. This guy has a passport and explained to them that and was told he still could not board but that he could go by air. The reason I asked originally was is because I have never heard of this before and just seem odd. I believe he is not telling me everything which is well with in his rights and respect his privacy. I was just curious to what would be the reason and if anyone had experienced this sort of thing before. They are still going on vacation to Playa de Carmen but flying and we will meet up there this week. Thanks for all the info and some of you are very funny!

Ok everyone, thanks for your input. I have talked to my friend since I posted the question the first time. We are set to sail this Sunday to Cozumel, Belize and Honduras. He was called by "security" last friday and was told due to some port laws he is unable to board and will be given a full refund. I did ask what port law he gave me a vague excuse and said he had the same problems when going to and from Canada. This guy has a passport and explained to them that and was told he still could not board but that he could go by air. The reason I asked originally was is because I have never heard of this before and just seem odd. I believe he is not telling me everything which is well with in his rights and respect his privacy. I was just curious to what would be the reason and if anyone had experienced this sort of thing before. They are still going on vacation to Playa de Carmen but flying and we will meet up there this week. Thanks for all the info and some of you are very funny!

That is what has us baffled and reaching for intergalactic aliens- the whole thing makes no sense at all. What country would deny you entry via a cruise ship but allow you to visit by air? Having the same difficulty when visiting Canada means it may be a past DUI, but again why would they deny him if he's on a cruise but not if he's on a plane?

My guess now- he missed final payment and his cruise was cancelled so he comes up with this to cover his embarassment.

Before you were saying "he". Now you are saying g "they" will meet you. ow many were in his cabin? Were they all denied? All refunded due to the one person's issue? I have never experienced this but I didn't know they would deny all parties in the cabin if one person had the problem and I am surprised they

Would refund everyone if they only denied one person. Luckily I don't have any experience with this...so just curious.

That is what has us baffled and reaching for intergalactic aliens- the whole thing makes no sense at all. What country would deny you entry via a cruise ship but allow you to visit by air? Having the same difficulty when visiting Canada means it may be a past DUI, but again why would they deny him if he's on a cruise but not if he's on a plane?

My guess now- he missed final payment and his cruise was cancelled so he comes up with this to cover his embarassment.

That seems likely.

I agree, I cannot come up with any scenario in which a person would be denied entry to Canada, Mexico, and the Bahmamas via cruiseline and land crossings but allowed to fly to those areas.

Nor can I really believe that is such a scenario exists, and a passenger was aware of prior problems with border crossings but booked the cruise anyway without checking into if those problems would extend to the cruise, that the line would refund that passenger'S full fare, 2 days before sailing as a gesture of goodwill (it's not like the person will be a future passenger--since they cannot sail)

Since there are multiple members of your friends party, there must be an issue affecting all those members and not just your friend. Otherwise only your friend would be denied boarding. Were all the members of his party given refunds?

Question. I've not seen where anyone has asked this question. Has your friend, or one of his companions, cruised before? Were there issues on that cruise which might cause the cruise line to ban him or his party?

Bingo!!