That Dreaded Tipping Thread

ShawninFL

We are long time cruisers and have experienced the industry change from handing out envelopes on the last night, to the option of prepaid gratuities, to pretty universal automatic tips. Our question arises on bar tips. Drinks have always had a gratuity added to the bill automatically and now with the drink package tips are also included in the price. What we'd like to get an idea of is how much people tip over the automatic tips that are included for bar service. In our younger years we both worked at some point in the service industry and tend to always tip over and above the norm, but my other half goes way above what I do. So on average, how much do you tip over if anything for a drink at the bar?

I'll admit we're trying to come to happy medium between our two "tipping points" and thought since Celebrity is our preferred line that the Cruise Critic community here would provide a wide array of people to give a general average of what others do.

Thanks!

I don't usually tip above the 18% that's already included. However, if the same server/bartender has provided me, say, a third drink in a row, I WILL give him an extra buck or two on that third service to me. They are appreciative and will almost certainly remember it when I return the next day. I like good and quick service... And they always remember what I drink. I like that.

If I have had a majority of drinks throughout a cruise served by one or two at a favorite venue (or more), I give those couple of servers an additional five dollars (in cash) on the last evening as a token of my appreciation for attentive service.

Edited by Constance331

I really thing 18% is MORE than enough.....adding anything more means you are actually tipping anywhere form 30 to 60 % of your bar bill.....totally insane in my book....if the bartender makes you laugh and basically increases your enjoyment of the night...sure toss him a few bucks....but, otherwise keep your money...jeeze...if you have to tip someone extra...tip the guys that clean your cabin....lot's more effort going into that then pouring a drink.

We are long time cruisers and have experienced the industry change from handing out envelopes on the last night, to the option of prepaid gratuities, to pretty universal automatic tips. Our question arises on bar tips. Drinks have always had a gratuity added to the bill automatically and now with the drink package tips are also included in the price. What we'd like to get an idea of is how much people tip over the automatic tips that are included for bar service. In our younger years we both worked at some point in the service industry and tend to always tip over and above the norm, but my other half goes way above what I do. So on average, how much do you tip over if anything for a drink at the bar?

I'll admit we're trying to come to happy medium between our two "tipping points" and thought since Celebrity is our preferred line that the Cruise Critic community here would provide a wide array of people to give a general average of what others do.

Thanks!

If I get a beer, the include tip is more than enough for opening the bottle for me! If we sit at a bar for a while, we will tip at the end, if we were getting good service and fancy drinks...18% is more than ample, IMO!

They do the "included" tip, because folks don't pay attention, or don't realize how much they've already paid....it's a huge scam that many cruisers fall for.

When we are at a land-based bar, and have to get our own drinks, I tip $1 per order, for beer or a simple drink......doesn't matter if it's one beer or 4! If we have table service, we tip 15-20 % of the bill....on a ship, you are likely to get your own drink.

Edited by cb at sea

I really thing 18% is MORE than enough.....adding anything more means you are actually tipping anywhere form 30 to 60 % of your bar bill.....totally insane in my book....if the bartender makes you laugh and basically increases your enjoyment of the night...sure toss him a few bucks....but, otherwise keep your money...jeeze...if you have to tip someone extra...tip the guys that clean your cabin....lot's more effort going into that then pouring a drink.

My post was MY personal view. I do what I do for the enjoyment and good laughs they bring to me. As a solo cruiser this means a great deal.

In addition I never forget the good service received from other hard-working members of the crew as well. In the scope of things, it is a small amount to show my gratitude to those whose efforts make my cruise enjoyable. Really, after plunking down a couple of thousand dollars for a cruise, what is a few dollars more? In addition to the minimum that is prepaid for crew. In many cases it can mean the difference between a struggle to make ends meet and just making a decent living. Again, this is JMHO.

I know, I know... Leave this one alone, I said to myself. 18% is a nice gratuity, but with the way to actual distribution of the gratuities are with the drink packages the gratuity is not 18% for each and every drink. As with everything in cruising, we say do whatever you want. :cool:

Any thing in addition is based on the service received.

On the Reflection the wine the wifester liked was not stocked at the Sunset Bar.

One of the Bartenders stepped up, said for us to stop by after dinner. When we did, he had it. 2 other bars did not stock it, and made no effort to do so. Our SOM in the MDR said it was only by the bottle not by the glass. I excused my self, went to the Sunset, fetched her another, and returned with the ugly blue plastic glass. The SOM got the hint. At the end of the cruise we made sure to let the young man at the Sunset know he went above the norm with a 'firm' parting handshake.

Service received.

Foot note: my wife is a server in the restaurant of a major hotel in Dallas, and averages more than 18% grat.

Edited by wallie5446

Thanks!

Tipping is personal. Everyone has their own ideas about what is appropriate or not, so you will be reading all kinds of responses. I would just suggest that you and your other half try and reach a happy medium! ;)

Heck, I've even tipped the washroom attendants and the guys/gals cleaning all the mirrors, railings, etc. in the stairwells and hallways. Have struck up conversations with them (since I see them almost every day) and just happen to appreciate what they do. They are nice (underappreciated) people and are part of what makes the ship experience a good one.

We frequent the Martini Bar and always leave about $20-30 extra at the end of the cruise. The bartenders are very entertaining with their multiple pours and other little "shows". I, too, am in the service industry and tend to be a good tipper.

If we have the drinks package, we understand that we are paying the tip based on the drink package price, not our actual drink price. We tip $1 for every drink in cash, the same as we would if we went to a bar here at home. For the sommelier, we will tip at the end of the cruise appropriately based on service, generally $40 per week.

Tipping.......

To the original poster, my question is for you:).......what is about

tipping that makes you want to know what other people do or don't do

about tipping? Just curious. You asked.....I am in the category of

not tipping anything extra for every drink.....but at the end of the

cruise I will tip my bartender and/or server if I have one that has

served me all week. I usually stay in 1 or 2 venues all cruise for my

libations;)

..jeeze...if you have to tip someone extra...tip the guys that clean your cabin....lot's more effort going into that then pouring a drink.

Or perhaps the bathroom attendants, these folks have really crappy jobs. :o Probably the most under appreciated employees on the ship.

Or perhaps the bathroom attendants, these folks have really crappy jobs. :o Probably the most under appreciated employees on the ship.

Speaking of underappreciated - near the end of the cruise I always slip some green to the pizza-makers and the omelette-makers.

I always add an extra $1 or $2 per drink. On the first day of my cruise I find my favorite bartender and throw him $50 and he will make sure you never have to wait in line for a drink. I give my room steward $50 on the first day as a bonus and I give the servers at the specialty restaurants an extra $10 per person.

These people work hard and 7 days per week sometimes for 6 months or longer with long hours. They work much harder than I do so I make sure I let them know I appreciate them being there for me.

Tipping.......

To the original poster, my question is for you:).......what is about

tipping that makes you want to know what other people do or don't do

about tipping? Just curious. You asked.....I am in the category of

not tipping anything extra for every drink.....but at the end of the

cruise I will tip my bartender and/or server if I have one that has

served me all week. I usually stay in 1 or 2 venues all cruise for my

libations;)

They can answer for themselves. But I like the idea of getting a feel for what others are doing. Obviously it is totally a personal decision, and there is no right or wrong response.

I always add an extra $1 or $2 per drink. On the first day of my cruise I find my favorite bartender and throw him $50 and he will make sure you never have to wait in line for a drink. I give my room steward $50 on the first day as a bonus and I give the servers at the specialty restaurants an extra $10 per person.

We find service to be wonderful. Not sure I could think of a whole lot more to PREarrange with a tip.

Edited by eandj