Formal dining question

MrsLH

DH is in Service Mess Dress (More than one he has been mistaken for a Ship's Officer)

me, either a formal gown or Palazzo pants/spangly top.

that being said, this upcoming cruise will probably be the last of the Uniform. he retires 2 days before the cruise begins. he has mentioned buying a tux. although I suspect he will end up with a dressy 3 piece suit. I will adjust my wardrobe accordingly.

We enjoy dusting off the nice clothes. DH will wear a dark suit and tie on formal night. My son wears his tux (note to self ... try on the tux tonight and make sure it still fits!!! :D).

My 9 yo DD will wear a party dress and I will usually wear a full-length dress (would not go so far as to call it a gown!) or a cocktail dress. My clothing selections for most nights will pass the formal standard.

This past October on FOS was the first time in 13 cruises that I did not bring a suit for formal night. Black dress slacks and a nice long sleeve button down shirt for formal night in the MDR. I do enjoy dressing up but I personally feel the formal night suite/tie/gown/dress "participation rate" has gradually decreased over time so I said screw it, no suit for me this time around! The second formal night, we ate in the Windjammer :)

Is almost dead, formal night should be just what it says, but not many truly are formally dressed and a dark suitor or Cocktail dress is not "Formal". On our Snow bird cruise last week, there were a few TRULY formally dressed people, but over all many were in groups that do the formal thing. I walked past a table of 8 and at the table were one couple dressed to the nines, two in ugly shirts and ties one in Caribbean casual and one in jeans and other in something. I would have been upset if I went to the trouble to dress accordingly to the "Suggest Dress Code"

I wish they would make a area on all ships for those who chose the Formal dress, and I wish they would call it DRESS UP night which would make many of us happy, with at lest no t shirt, no baseball hats and a collared shirt. shorts etc. Jeans are OK if not bib overhauls.

Is almost dead, formal night should be just what it says, but not many truly are formally dressed and a dark suitor or Cocktail dress is not "Formal". On our Snow bird cruise last week, there were a few TRULY formally dressed people, but over all many were in groups that do the formal thing. I walked past a table of 8 and at the table were one couple dressed to the nines, two in ugly shirts and ties one in Caribbean casual and one in jeans and other in something. I would have been upset if I went to the trouble to dress accordingly to the "Suggest Dress Code"

I wish they would make a area on all ships for those who chose the Formal dress, and I wish they would call it DRESS UP night which would make many of us happy, with at lest no t shirt, no baseball hats and a collared shirt. shorts etc. Jeans are OK if not bib overhauls.

Hats are frowned upon in MDR

1446601101054.jpg.600919984430ef941045bf84dd714227.jpg