Best shampoo/conditioner for color treated hair

DonnaK

I am 100% grey and dye my hair a Coppery reddish brown color. Reddish tones are so difficult to maintain, even under the best conditions.

No matter how hard I try, I cannot prevent the color from fading, especially on a cruise when I am swimming and sunning.

I follow all the recommendations (wear a sunhat, rinse hair after swimming, etc) so I am not looking for that kind of advice.

I tried sulfate-free shampoo but they do not adequately clean my hair. (My hair is very oily and gets dirty quickly. Lots of build up from pollution - living near the city - and from styling products like mousse and hair spray). I just don't like the way sulfate-free shampoo works or makes my hair feel afterwards.

I've used, with limited success, the Pantene Pro-V Color Preserve product line, and the LOreal Color Vibrancy line. (I like the LOreal products better).

What is your experience with various brands and products? Is there one in particular that you've had success with? Cleaning well, and leaving hair in manageable condition, is just as important as keeping the color fresh!

I also have oily hair that I dye red. I use Bamboo Color Hold by Alterna. It is the first shampoo that I think really cleans my hair. Its not a drugstore brand I buy it at Ulta and its worth every penny. Also I wash my hair in the coldest water I can handle.

I also have oily hair that I dye red. I use Bamboo Color Hold by Alterna. It is the first shampoo that I think really cleans my hair. Its not a drugstore brand I buy it at Ulta and its worth every penny. Also I wash my hair in the coldest water I can handle.
thank you! I will see if my local Ulta has any in stock

(I also wash with cold water)

I like John Freida Color Protecting in Radiant Red. Some drugstores have it but I get mine at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I also use a hair glaze on the ends once a week, which helps keep it shiny.

I can't use that sulfate free stuff either. My hair likes the L'Oreal stuff with the yellow top best, even though I know it's full of silicones.

Have you tried doing a protein treatment? I may be having my logic backwards, but try the aphogee k-pak, it's about five bucks in Sally's. If your hair is porous, maybe it'll help it hold onto the dye better.

I colored my hair red for years (medium auburn ;-) and LOVED Aveda Madder Root. It's been a classic for a long time for a reason. Red color is odd because it's the quickest to fade but also the last tint to leave your hair.

These days I'm more a light golden brown color but my hair always pulls red. I'd go more red but my husband hates, so this is my compromise :rolleyes:

I am 100% grey and dye my hair a Coppery reddish brown color. Reddish tones are so difficult to maintain, even under the best conditions.

No matter how hard I try, I cannot prevent the color from fading, especially on a cruise when I am swimming and sunning.

I follow all the recommendations (wear a sunhat, rinse hair after swimming, etc) so I am not looking for that kind of advice.

I tried sulfate-free shampoo but they do not adequately clean my hair. (My hair is very oily and gets dirty quickly. Lots of build up from pollution - living near the city - and from styling products like mousse and hair spray). I just don't like the way sulfate-free shampoo works or makes my hair feel afterwards.

I've used, with limited success, the Pantene Pro-V Color Preserve product line, and the LOreal Color Vibrancy line. (I like the LOreal products better).

What is your experience with various brands and products? Is there one in particular that you've had success with? Cleaning well, and leaving hair in manageable condition, is just as important as keeping the color fresh!

It might not be your shampoo, it might be your coloring product. I have dark reddish brown natural color, but I've been a blond for 50 years. Now that I am about 60% grey, my stylist uses SoColor by Matrix. The colors are formulated for grey coverage and to hold the color. My blond looks good for a month, with just a little fading the last week.

I use Biolange shampoo and Nexus conditioner, both for colored hair. Avoid any shampoo with "brightning" effects: it's just like using mild bleach. I found John Freida's shampoo works well for color retention, and he makes a product for redheads.

Edited by pcur

I know u said u dont like sulfate free..... however, you DO like Loreal.

Have tou tried Loreal EverPure?

I cannot use anything that leaves or doesnt remove, buildup.

I have fine hair that HAS to be clean and clear or its gross.

Loreal EverPure smells beautiful, cleans my hair leaving soft and residue free.

Ive even used it as face soap when I forgot mine on a trip.

Soft face :)

I know u said u dont like sulfate free..... however, you DO like Loreal.

Have tou tried Loreal EverPure?

I cannot use anything that leaves or doesnt remove, buildup.

I have fine hair that HAS to be clean and clear or its gross.

Loreal EverPure smells beautiful, cleans my hair leaving soft and residue free.

Ive even used it as face soap when I forgot mine on a trip.

Soft face :)

I second this! I have VERY oily fine hair. When I did dye my hair I always used their line (both the color save version and the volumizing.) Both cleaned well and I did feel the sulfate free did help keep the color.

Red is very hard to keep, and some dyes do hold better than others. Other than the things you already mentioned, have you tried limiting the amount of hair washing you are doing? Are you washing it more on the cruise than you would otherwise?

I've found the Dove products seem to do the best job in helping my red hair keep it's color longer between root touch ups. I use the one for "aging" hair, I think it's called "Vitality".

I also think the Paul Mitchell colors seem to last longer for me, no matter what shampoos/conditioners I use.

Sherri:)

• 1 month later...

I had my hair colored 8 days ago with the SoColor by Matrix ( for coloring gray hair). I'm on day 5 of our Western Carib cruise, and the color is holding very well. My hairdresser at Penney's gave me travel size Biolange shampoo and conditioner for preserving the color.

Bed Head Dumb Blonde- even the saltwater, salt air, chlorine, sun and sand can't stand up to it.

I'm going to revisit that line. It's so hard to find conditioners that don't make my blond brassy. I remember using Dumb Blonde several years ago and really liking it.

Another rec, but it's kind of expensive, is It's a 10 for Blondes 5-minute miracle hair repair. It comes with purple pigments to help defend brassiness.

• 3 weeks later...

Although you were asking about a shampoo/conditioner to use, I have a suggestion. It helps to pre-wet your hair, ideally with leave-in conditioner, prior to going in the pool.

The reason being that your hair is like a sponge and soaks up the liquid. So if you pre-saturate your hair with conditioner it won't absorb the chlorine or other chemicals.

I have my hair dyed all kinds of colors, so I am speaking from experience that this will help. :)

I really like Living Proof. I recently made the change. I used to not be able to use sulfate free shampoos, but this line doesn't give me the same issues. I can also 4 days between washes which is something I never used to be able to do.