Balcony vs. Inside Alaska in September

Buzz12607

To me the main advantage of getting an outside cabin that few travelers mention is that while enjoying an Alaskan cruise a cabin with an ocean view or balcony is your ability to visually check out the weather outside and dress accordingly as you prepare to start your day. Enjoying your outside cabin you'll very likely say, "sure am glad we got a cabin with a view" but not as often as you'd think. Money wise an inside cabin is always the smart choice and booking one doesn't mean you loose any privileges (Princess and Queens Grill accommodations on a Cunard ship excluded).

If you really want to see Alaska it's not going to happen cooped up in a cabin, veranda or not. If you choose one of the mega ships an added bonus of choosing an ocean view or veranda cabin is that such accommodations affords one a recess from the sometimes large crowds swarming all the places you want be. If the extra charge doesn't wreck your travel budget go for an outside cabin so you'll be able to check out the weather ;).

We enjoyed coffee on our balcony (wrapped in a blanket) watching the whales as they "chugged" along next to the ship.... Of course this was early in the morning while still in our jammies :)

Gotta love Room Service!

Edited by JVilleGal

To me the main advantage of getting an outside cabin that few travelers mention is that while enjoying an Alaskan cruise a cabin with an ocean view or balcony is your ability to visually check out the weather outside and dress accordingly as you prepare to start your day. Enjoying your outside cabin you'll very likely say, "sure am glad we got a cabin with a view" but not as often as you'd think. Money wise an inside cabin is always the smart choice and booking one doesn't mean you loose any privileges (Princess and Queens Grill accommodations on a Cunard ship excluded).

If you really want to see Alaska it's not going to happen cooped up in a cabin, veranda or not. If you choose one of the mega ships an added bonus of choosing an ocean view or veranda cabin is that such accommodations affords one a recess from the sometimes large crowds swarming all the places you want be. If the extra charge doesn't wreck your travel budget go for an outside cabin so you'll be able to check out the weather ;).

Just a comment; I agree totally that an outside is essential, not only for the weather aspect but also just because waking up in a totally dark inside cabin can really be a problem.

Our first cruise was to Alaska in an inside cabin and we slept through several morning activities.

One other comment - consider an obstructed view cabin. You'll still get natural daylight and will still get your first hand weather report, yet still pay less than a standard outside.

Edited by Host Walt

Just a comment; I agree totally that an outside is essential, not only for the weather aspect but also just because waking up in a totally dark inside cabin can really be a problem.

Our first cruise was to Alaska in an inside cabin and we slept through several morning activities.

One other comment - consider an obstructed view cabin. You'll still get natural daylight and will still get your first hand weather report, yet still pay less than a standard outside.

Alternatively, take an alarm clock.

And you can have a look at the weather on your way to breakfast.

Save your money so that "next time" comes sooner!

We did North-bound Alaska (HAL) with three adults in an inside. Statendam did have nice big insides. We didn't know what we were missing, so my mom and I just spent our time on the window ledges in the Lido, drinking coffee and spotting wildlife out the enormous windows. Or in the Crow's Nest when there was commentary being shared.

Flash forward 15 years -- took mom around Cape Horn (which is sorta like Alaska on steroids) and surprised her with a balcony, a down-vest, a Kindle, and a new camera. She took the last three and spend HOURS on the balcony (with the down throw from her sofa bed as well)!

Then last spring we took an upsell to an OV, Main Deck, for a TransAtlantic. Discovered having natural light REALLY helps my DH... and since we can afford the difference -- looks like we won't be cruising inside anymore.

Hi,

I was fortunate to be upgraded to balcony on my Alaska cruise and for me, it absolutely made the whole trip. Even better, I was on the side of the ship facing the coast. Stunning scenery from the comfort of my chair! Sure I bundled up a bit, but with binoculars and the naturalist on the TV pointing out interesting sights, I had great views and was never smashed in the crowd on deck jockeying to get to the rail first to see and then try to photograph calving glaciers and otters. I went out on deck once to see if it was better, and headed straight back to my cabin. I spent hours out on that balcony.

Each person looks for something different on their cruise - only you can say what experiences call to you. Whatever you do, you are certain to be amazed and awed by the beauty of Alaska. Enjoy!

Kay

• 2 years later...
Trying to decide on deck 10 very front ocean view cabin on Ovation or a balcony cabin for Alaska.

Suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

In a sense I agree never to go inside. I did it once and hated it. However, we are going to Alaska next September and I booked an interior. For only one reason. We are going on Ovation of the Seas and it has the virtual balcony that shows what is going on outside. So, we can get the view and day/night cycle straight. I have only been on a couple cruises, but I have never spent much time in the cabin. We had balcony rooms on our last cruise and other than drying our bathing suits we hardly used them. I believe Ovation, and many other ships, have some spectacular viewing areas. I would rather sit in some of these areas where I can nature, as well as people, watch.

The 2 cruises regions that I would definitely recommend a balcony are Alaska & the Norwegian Fjords. The nonstop scenery is gorgeous.

We agree 100%. Have sailed both Alaska and Norway; we'd save for another year or two for a balcony if we had to. Would not sail there without one.

Even in bad weather, we enjoy the early morning coffee and tea on the balcony; there are also times when we just want to watch ocean and smell the fresh air and be by ourselves far from the crowds.

We had a balcony for our last Alaska cruise back in September. While it gave you wonderful views we only used it late in the afternoons for a couple of hours before dinner or an hour or so before breakfast. Most of our time was spent on the outside decks .

It was really cool outside on the balcony. I had a cup of hot chocolat or tea by my side at all times. Wore warm clothing and gloves everyday.

This August we are headed back and opted for an OV cabin. We will still be able to look out at the scenery and get morning light in the cabin, if there’s sunlight, you never know what Alaska weather will be day to day.

We booked a Verandah room on HAL for our Alaska cruise last September at my wife's insistence - Caribbean cruises are a no brainer but I thought an OV would be fine for late season in Alaska.

I was wrong - it was so well worth having one! We spent at least several hours most days out there, and almost all day while cruising through Glacier Bay.

A couple of day it was on the cool side but they provided us with heavy blankets to use while out there.

If cost is a factor, you should be perfectly fine with an interior. We prefer to have an OV at the very least - balcony is our preferred and to be honest, we made more use of the verandah in Alaska than on any of our Caribbean cruises.....

We had a balcony on our AK cruise, and we only used it once - an hour or two - during the entire 10 days. We spent all our waking hours on the sunny upper decks, with the full view in all directions. Even at the same price, we'd never do balcony again.

My first ever cruise i was in connecting cabins (mine was an inside connecting to a balcony) in Alaska. Every single dang time they saw whales, or a bear etc it was on the opposite side of the ship. So even though we had some cool sea views, if we wanted the expansive views and wildlife we had to go up on deck anyways. The next time we went to Alaska we just got the inside. We spent the majority of our time on the serenity deck. Balcony not needed for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

for us, no decision to be made, balcony all the way. We could just relax and not be crowded with everyone trying to get to the rail for a good view. I sat out on ours and wrote my postcards. wrapped up in a blanket if I needed to. Heard calving when I was on the balcony, saw polar bears on the shore and whales. We will never sail anything but a balcony now.