Formal night

comp_hop1

From the Princess website:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Information can be found here:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

For formal Night will slacks, dress shirt, bow tie be ok or does he have to wear a jacket too?

You should be allowed into the DR, but you will be one of the few without a jacket. If that is ok with you then it is ok.

Edited by sknight

I was asking for my two teenage sons. I have jackets for both but you know how teens can be. I will tell them it's for two nights only and they can just suck it up. I'm with everyone else it looks so nice when every one has a jacket on. Thanks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was asking for my two teenage sons. I have jackets for both but you know how teens can be. I will tell them it's for two nights only and they can just suck it up. I'm with everyone else it looks so nice when every one has a jacket on. Thanks

Teens frequently do not have jackets. Also, in case you don't realize, formal is only for the MDR's. The surcharge restaurants are smart casual every night although you will see passengers dressed up of formal nights. All other areas of the ship are casual in the evening, and on formal nights you will see passengers around the ship in casual wear as well as being dressed up. Some change after they dine.

Why not tell them that the smartly dressed classy girls will all be with guys wearing jackets and that might not be you two.

Lol John

They have jackets, tell them to suck it up and put them on. Good practice for following the rules instead of "well they aren't wearing any...." crap. Tired of folks following the rules they like and the heck with the rest.

Things have become less formal over the years. People don't want to pack formals in their one suitcase due to airline restrictions. Nobody dressed nicely gets turned away from the dining room. I see more and more people dressing down so you will be fine.

They have jackets, tell them to suck it up and put them on. Good practice for following the rules instead of "well they aren't wearing any...." crap. Tired of folks following the rules they like and the heck with the rest.

What rules??? It's only a suggestion.

There was a man (about 60ish or so) who wore a dress shirt -- no jacket, no tie -- in strange solid colors (like mustard) for all three formal nights a few tables over.

I would think a jacket even without a tie, or a tie without a jacket should be fine. The teenage girls tended to dress up even though my 15-year-old came up with her own style for formal nights.

We were just on a B2B2B on the Emerald....2 formal nights and a "dress to impress" night. Although many people including us were dressed consistently with the dress code...I have concluded based on the dress of many, many, many passengers that the only decision required prior to dressing for formal night is whether to wear nice Bermuda shorts, sweat pant cut offs or bootie shorts! No one was turned away from the dining room. The Patter now states "dress for the dining room ......" the old statement about " no ball caps, shorts etc" after 6 pm has been removed. All this to say...wear whatever you like....very few people care anymore!

For formal Night will slacks, dress shirt, bow tie be ok or does he have to wear a jacket too?

For any male, yes it will be fine and they don't need the bow tie. For teenage males this is more than fine as they typically don't wear sport coats they soon will outgrow. Any male will not be alone by any stretch of the imagination dressed that way.

I really could care less what others wear and I have never had it make my meal less tasty.

That's not a lie. The classy girls WILL be dressed up and quite probably not interested in guys who dress less than classy.

That depends on what girls that age call "classy" I am sure boys that age know that better than adults. So I repeat why lie to them.

That depends on what girls that age call "classy" I am sure boys that age know that better than adults. So I repeat why lie to them.

Smartly dressed girls being with the guys wearing jackets is both subjective and an opinion. What is "smartly dressed" regarding the relevant aged girls? "You might not be with them" is another opinion. One is not proffering facts; just opinions and in this respect parents say things to try and influence their children. This would typically be such that their children should behave in a way the parents might believe that they would be moving towards being a better person on the way to adulthood. This is not telling them lies.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Well said.