Ramblings From Riviera

ORV

Wonderful as usual, internet slow.

We ate in Red Ginger a couple of nights ago, usually our favorite, it was a bit off. Tempura sauce tasted like it had sterno in it. Jacques the next night was good, although we're having a bit of trouble remembering it as it was after the Captain's Welcome party.

CD, Ray Michaels is a bit different. He has yet to host team trivia, which to me the CD hosting it is part of the O experience. 3 team trivia and haven't seen him yet. Team trivia in Martinis, not a good place for it at all. Only 10 questions, not the regular Oceania trivia experience, hope it's not a trend.

Yesterday was Kotor Montenegro, beautiful port. We climbed to the top of the mountain to the fort. Those that have been there know what I'm talking about. Our legs are sore today. Was worn out yesterday.

Our temperature in our room, deck 9 Concierge gets cooler than any room I've ever been in on a cruise ship. We're between the laundry door and the Concierge lounge, it's a bit noisy in the morning. Concierge lounge is very busy. 600 repeaters on board.

Weather has been great so far.

Our M & G was well attended, more than I expected.

Maybe I'll update later if I have a chance. Will try to answer any questions if there are any. Will be on till Dec 2nd.

We ate in Red Ginger a couple of nights ago, usually our favorite, it was a bit off. Tempura sauce tasted like it had sterno in it.

Though I have never tasted sterno maybe that is the same ingredient they used on DH spring roll back in 2014 :eek:

Hope you mentioned it to the Maitre'd

I appreciate your ramblings! Keep it up! :D With my own Riviera cruise only a few weeks away, I find myself compelled to live vicariously through such ramblings until I can get onboard and live it myself.

Also, do keep letting us know if there are particular dishes that we should avoid. I'll take some notes.

One question: I understand that this ship offers an Artist Loft where they offer arts and crafts classes. Can you share what kinds of activities and classes they are offering?

One question: I understand that this ship offers an Artist Loft where they offer arts and crafts classes. Can you share what kinds of activities and classes they are offering?

Lee

it will vary from cruise to cruise

Also, do keep letting us know if there are particular dishes that we should avoid. I'll take some notes.

Just some side comments ... I wouldn't take warnings about dishes to avoid all that seriously. You never know what you like that the person making the warning does not ... OTOH, I wouldn't totally ignore them either!

Besides, where the majority of posters here do seem to prefer Red Ginger, there is a significant minority (of which I am one) that does not.

As to the Artist Loft activities, that may depend on who is on board when ... the instructors who are on board Riviera right now may not be when you board even though you are leaving soon.

In the past I've heard of painting and drawing lessons, knitting, really all sorts of activities. (I haven't tried any of them myself despite always intending to do so.)

I think I've also heard that if there are a number of people experienced in a skill -- knitting comes to mind -- may get together on their own.

Lee

it will vary from cruise to cruise

Interesting! So they don't have a consistent set of art classes or workshops or whatever...it changes on each cruise?

Just some side comments ... I wouldn't take warnings about dishes to avoid all that seriously. You never know what you like that the person making the warning does not ... OTOH, I wouldn't totally ignore them either!

True, true. Although tasting of sterno is definitely a red flag! ;) I'm not sure how I'll feel about Red Ginger myself. I do love Asian Fusion, but we have a HUGE amount of some of the most awesome Asian restaurants around here, and my husband loves pretty much all Asian food, so we eat it a lot. I'm not sure if Red Ginger will be able to match up against all the awesome Asian food I already get to eat on a regular basis. What I never get enough of is good continental cuisine, or French cuisine, or high-end steak house food...so I'm most looking forward to Jacques, Polo, and of course the MDR.

As to the Artist Loft activities, that may depend on who is on board when ... the instructors who are on board Riviera right now may not be when you board even though you are leaving soon.

In the past I've heard of painting and drawing lessons, knitting, really all sorts of activities. (I haven't tried any of them myself despite always intending to do so.)

I think I've also heard that if there are a number of people experienced in a skill -- knitting comes to mind -- may get together on their own.

VERY interesting! This is one topic I've suddenly started wondering about, for a couple of reasons -- first, I've decided not to take a cooking class. I cook all the time, and consider myself a pretty darn good one, and to be honest I don't really need to take a class. I can pretty much follow any recipe given to me, so why cook when on vacation?

The other reason is that I realized I will probably spend more time on the ship than I usually do, as the only thing I'm planning on doing in the ports is scuba diving...and I'll be done with that by mid-day every day. So I figured I'd go back to the ship and take advantage of what they have to offer. I NEVER do that - I'm always cruising to places where I want to explore, tour and take excursions. And I always come home from every cruise feeling like I really didn't get to enjoy the ship itself! Well, not this time.

I would love to hear more about these artsy activities...but I don't want to hijack this thread. I think I'll start a new one.

Another beautiful day in Sicily today, Palermo, first time I've been here. If you come here take a tour, it's a big, noisy, dirty city. It seems you need to get out of town to enjoy anything here.

Yes, the artists change on a regular basis. It's currently Graham Denison. Probably won't be the same in the Caribbean

Wonderful as usual, internet slow.

We ate in Red Ginger a couple of nights ago, usually our favorite, it was a bit off. Tempura sauce tasted like it had sterno in it. Jacques the next night was good, although we're having a bit of trouble remembering it as it was after the Captain's Welcome party.

CD, Ray Michaels is a bit different. He has yet to host team trivia, which to me the CD hosting it is part of the O experience. 3 team trivia and haven't seen him yet. Team trivia in Martinis, not a good place for it at all. Only 10 questions, not the regular Oceania trivia experience, hope it's not a trend.

Yesterday was Kotor Montenegro, beautiful port. We climbed to the top of the mountain to the fort. Those that have been there know what I'm talking about. Our legs are sore today. Was worn out yesterday.

Our temperature in our room, deck 9 Concierge gets cooler than any room I've ever been in on a cruise ship. We're between the laundry door and the Concierge lounge, it's a bit noisy in the morning. Concierge lounge is very busy. 600 repeaters on board.

Weather has been great so far.

Our M & G was well attended, more than I expected.

Maybe I'll update later if I have a chance. Will try to answer any questions if there are any. Will be on till Dec 2nd.

Hi Orville,

Look forward to meeting you next week, the last two cruises that I have been on with Ray Michaels the trivia has only had 10 questions and has been in Martini's .

I did complain to him on our last cruise looks like he has not changed it, as it will be a Trans Atlantic he might have more time?

Rogerb

Hi Orville,

Look forward to meeting you next week, the last two cruises that I have been on with Ray Michaels the trivia has only had 10 questions and has been in Martini's .

I did complain to him on our last cruise looks like he has not changed it, as it will be a Trans Atlantic he might have more time?

Rogerb

I do plan on mentioning it on my mid cruise comment card. It just completely changes the trivia culture, especially the camaraderie between team members

I do plan on mentioning it on my mid cruise comment card. It just completely changes the trivia culture, especially the camaraderie between team members

Wow. I will happily eat Sterno, but 10-Question-Trivia is a deal breaker for me!

(only half kidding)

Donna

As I recall when fondue pots were all the rage we used sterno as fuel to keep them hot. They are also used with chafing dishes.

Good for keeping food warm but wouldn't taste very good, I imagine ...

Mura

True, true. Although tasting of sterno is definitely a red flag! ;) I'm not sure how I'll feel about Red Ginger myself. I do love Asian Fusion, but we have a HUGE amount of some of the most awesome Asian restaurants around here, and my husband loves pretty much all Asian food, so we eat it a lot. I'm not sure if Red Ginger will be able to match up against all the awesome Asian food I already get to eat on a regular basis.

It won't - so don't even expect it lest you be disappointed. Ditto for French, Italian and steak restaurants.

How could they possibly complete with their top rated counterparts on land, in all fairness.

However, they compare very favorably with any restaurant on any cruise line and, IMO, they beat them all :D.

After all, that is the only fair comparisson.

Enjoy.

Hi Orville,

Rogerb

Are you referring to the afternoon Trivia? Our limited experience is that the afternoon Trivia is located in the lounge and has about 20 questions. The evening Trivia was in Martini's and was much more limited.

So, is there only one on your cruise?

Two things:

1) as a Swiss I am appalled with the idea of using Sterno for a fondue "rechaud" as we call it (the thing you put the fondue pot or caquelon on...don't know how to say it in English). You need really adjustable heat. Keep the cheese bubbling and as the meal goes on let it cook through enough to form a crust on the bottom of the "pot" which we call "la réligieuse" (the nun, I think...) Sterno is not adjustable. Keeps things warm, yes.

2) Trivia in Martinis ?? Awful. Only 10 questions? The CD is lazy (or his/her staff are...)

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who does not care for Ray Michaels. We didn't even bother going to Trivia as I felt as if I was being talked down to by Ray all the time. He was just too bubbly and did not feel sincere to me. Ray to me would be a better fit for a large cruise ship rather than Oceania. IMO.

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who does not care for Ray Michaels. We didn't even bother going to Trivia as I felt as if I was being talked down to by Ray all the time. He was just too bubbly and did not feel sincere to me. Ray to me would be a better fit for a large cruise ship rather than Oceania. IMO.

How interesting, exactly the way we thought in September. He was altogether too "Hi de Hi" for our taste. He was fine if you talked to just him, but in CD mode he was chivvying the theatre audience in a way that made us cringe. We did not go to Trivia.

I liked Ray Michaels , he was most kind to us. He made a special effort to get our private tour ashore and on another occasion he physically walked us beyond the ship to point out where to go for something.

I didn't particularly care for his theatre show style.

We didn't go to trivia as the cruise was very port intensive.

Forgot to say that Ray was outside beside the gangway helping people get on their way every single morning. He was also outside many afternoons, early evenings welcoming people back to the ship. One afternoon he and the band stood outside for several hours serenading every passenger as they came in. We had so much fun watching from our verandah. This was on a typical port intensive O cruise in the Med., he worked very hard interacting with passengers.

Ray was our CD on our last cruise. He didn't make it a secret he disliked Trivia, and would often have one of his assistants run it when he could. He aggressively busted, and called out, some cruisers for cheating one day and essentially banned them from playing after that. Even though many of us liked his actions, others were pissed. The main trivia was played in the Lounge in the afternoon at 4 pm, with a smaller 10 question version in Martinis in the evening. The latter was always scheduled to end before the show started in Lounge.

As I recall when fondue pots were all the rage we used sterno as fuel to keep them hot. They are also used with chafing dishes.

Good for keeping food warm but wouldn't taste very good, I imagine ...

Mura

Basically, or substitute any type of fuel. Went back to Red Ginger a couple of night later and the sharing appetizer was great, more than made up for the first night.

Ray says he will be hosting the trivia on the crossing. I got a nice message from him after my mid cruise comment card. At least he's aware not every likes it this way. He said apparently I"m used to "non performing" CD's. Okay. Not a deal breaker, just disappointing, I'm not going to stop cruising O over it.

Weather continues to be fabulous here everyday. Monte Carlo today, Marseille tomorrow. I'm curious how the security will be there.

The buffet is busy in the evenings every time we've been there. MDR has been quite quiet the night or two we've been there. Concierge lounge continues to be busy most of the time, obviously many cruisers like it.

Off to trivia here in a bit.