May cancel BI cruise

flannbarr

We are booked next summer on a British Isles cruise. I have been hesitant to go to Europe with the heightened terrorism and now Paris happens yesterday. Our cruise includes Le Havre. I am considering canceling the cruise. I hate to think that way but it's really getting scary. Ugh.

I know its scary, and Paris is France, and Le Havre is France, but they are actually quite a distance apart.

And terrorism can happen anywhere. Who knows where next?

But I am still convinced that statistically the most dangerous part of your vacation is going to be the drive from your home to the airport.

If we all cower at home scared to go anywhere then the terrorists have really won.

If there is a known anticipated threat close to any port a cruiseship is due to visit then you can be sure the itinerary will be changed.

More than that I can't say, and I admit that there are places I won't visit right now as there are constant daily terrorist events.

Anyway you have plenty of time to see how things go and how you feel about it before final payment is due.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a British Isles cruise. If one positive thing comes from this, there'll be heightened security. Keep in mind that the ship is movable plus there are only a couple of ways to get on the ship and those are guarded. If there's any possibility of an issue, the ship will skip the port. If you're concerned about being onshore, stay on the ship. I'd book independent tours in the British Isles: smaller groups, more flexibility.

I know its scary, and Paris is France, and Le Havre is France, but they are actually quite a distance apart.

And terrorism can happen anywhere. Who knows where next?

But I am still convinced that statistically the most dangerous part of your vacation is going to be the drive from your home to the airport.

If we all cower at home scared to go anywhere then the terrorists have really won.

If there is a known anticipated threat close to any port a cruiseship is due to visit then you can be sure the itinerary will be changed.

More than that I can't say, and I admit that there are places I won't visit right now as there are constant daily terrorist events.

Anyway you have plenty of time to see how things go and how you feel about it before final payment is due.

Well said!

I'd definitely go on the cruise.

If being in France bothers you, stay on the ship in Le Havre.

I agree with Griller.... if we all stop traveling, the terrorists win. I'm too old to fight on a field of battle but I can still fight with my $$ and continue to travel.

Also remember the British have been dealing with terrorism like this for a long time (thanks to the Troubles).. I wouldnt be stressed while youre sailing within the UK

I was in Paris days after Charlie Hebo attacks last year and I felt just as safe as I did as being in NYC days after 9/11. While in Paris, I did see loads of heavily armed police as well as a heightened (and visible) military presence on the streets and around particular monuments.

Edited by alternageek

I was in London after the Charlie attacks last year. I've never seen security like they had for the few weeks following the attacks.

Bottom line--terrorism can happen any time, any place. Europe is far more used to dealing with it than the US is, and they don't let "political correctness" prevent them from taking action.

Maybe I'm just being fatalistic, but I don't feel any less safe after yesterday than I did 2 days ago. If I crawl into my bed and refuse to go out, the terrorists win. I choose to live life as usual. If my number is up, well, there's nothing I can do about that.

Bottom line--terrorism can happen any time' date=' any place. Europe is far more used to dealing with it than the US is, and they don't let "political correctness" prevent them from taking action. [/quote']

Totally disagree....the US has way more gun violence then Europe and Europe is much more politically correct then the US.....

Totally disagree....the US has way more gun violence then Europe and Europe is much more politically correct then the US.....

The US has more gun violence than Europe but this is because citizens may own and possess guns some also have special permits to carry guns on their person. In the British Isles, which include Ireland you have a couple of nations which do not let citizens own guns in general except if they apply for special licences which require a lot administration to apply to get them and also special safes to keep them in with the police keeping an eye on you. Most problems we have had revolve around terrorism almost never domestic shootings or armed robberies because of lack of supply. Our security forces have relevant experience with and are familiar with dealing with threats. Londoners seem to have recovered from the 7/7 attack without anyone having the jitters. Have you seen the Glasgow Airport attack on Youtube by Billy Conolly.

Regards John

In the end, like most things each person needs to figure out what is best for them.

Yes, some people will change their travel plans. And I respect that.

It took some many years just to get into an airplane after 9/11 and to this day some don't do that.

Anytime there is a terrorist act, tourism goes down whether that is NYC, Israel, Athens, Istanbul, Paris, Bangkok or other places around the world including those in the USA.

I often find that after a horrific act that security is substantially better and often these places become the safest and the next horrific act takes places somewhere else.

Who expected Australia to have the horrific act they did, or London, or The Taj Mahal Hotel in Mumbai, or Madrid.

Anyway, there is no right or wrong on this. Figure out what you want to do and do it.

For us, at this point in time we will not change our travel plans because for us that let's the terrorists win. We won't do anything to put ourselves in harms risk but anytime you leave the house you never know and includes being at the wrong place at the wrong time in our own country.

Keith

Hi All

Visited this cities before, during and after attacks

Been to New York,

Been to Ottawa,

Been to Boston

Been to Paris

Been London

Been to Belfast

Been to Copenhagen

Will visit Madrid

Will visit Bali

Will visit Australia

yours Shogun

We're also taking a BI cruise in May. I'm more worried about remembering which way to look before I cross the street since they drive on the wrong side of the road..

No, I think you'll find we drive on the proper side of the road :D ;)

Tragic events in Paris, and I'm feeling very sad today

.......but, cancelling travel plans and causing fear and panic is what the terrorists want

Please don't let them win

I refuse to let those subhuman terrorist animals change my lifestyle. I will continue to travel, continue to be alert and aware of my surroundings no matter where in the world I am, and continue to enjoy seeing the parts of the world on my bucket list that matter most to me. They are not going to make me give up what I love doing.

US has far more gun violence than Europe because US has far more guns.

Even "fake" guns (as in movie props that look almost real) are difficult to obtain or transport in UK.

As to crossing the street....London makes it easy. Painted at the crosswalks you will find instructions "Look Left" and "Look Right." On the other hand, outside of London just look both ways before crossing, just like your mum taught you many years ago.

I was in London after the Charlie attacks last year. I've never seen security like they had for the few weeks following the attacks.

Bottom line--terrorism can happen any time' date=' any place. Europe is far more used to dealing with it than the US is, and they don't let "political correctness" prevent them from taking action.

Maybe I'm just being fatalistic, but I don't feel any less safe after yesterday than I did 2 days ago. If I crawl into my bed and refuse to go out, the terrorists win. I choose to live life as usual. If my number is up, well, there's nothing I can do about that.[/quote']

Well said.

US has far more gun violence than Europe because US has far more guns.

Even "fake" guns (as in movie props that look almost real) are difficult to obtain or transport in UK.

As to crossing the street....London makes it easy. Painted at the crosswalks you will find instructions "Look Left" and "Look Right." On the other hand' date=' outside of London just look both ways before crossing, just like your mum taught you many years ago.[/quote']

The painted crosswalk warnings in London are to help tourist who come from countries where drivers drive on the other side of the street then the English. Same in Australia.

It is to help them from not getting hit because we tend to develop habits and may not adapt right away to change and look the proper way when crossing a crosswalk. It has nothing to do with what our mothers taught us IMHO.....nice try....:)

The painted crosswalk warnings in London are to help tourist who come from countries where drivers drive on the other side of the street then the English. Same in Australia.

It is to help them from not getting hit because we tend to develop habits and may not adapt right away to change and look the proper way when crossing a crosswalk. It has nothing to do with what our mothers taught us IMHO.....nice try....:)

It is still important to remember what your Mum taught you. What if the warning signs are worn away, or covered with leaves or snow?

...Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother :) :) :)

I am going to take a more middle of the road approach, use sensible precaution, but I would say go on this trip at this time, if these attacks were happening at popular tourist spots every month it might be different, but so far they are all isolated events. Back in 2002 when president Bush declared war against Iraq my teenage son had a school field trip planned to DC the week after the ground war started and I did not let him go. I don't feel that was giving in to terrorism, but sensible precaution. Sure nothing happened on the trip, but I felt and still do feel it was an unnecessary risk. In this case there was not only concern about direct involvement, but also the much higher chance of him simply being in the city during an event with limited adult supervision over a large group of kids.

Wow - what an incredibly [insert appropriate word here] thing to say. "Politically correct"? What does that mean? I'm assuming you're, again, dissing the U.S. I wouldn't hesitate to visit London, Paris, New York City, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Berlin, Barcelona [insert numerous cities here]. Why not stop painting countries with generalizations and furthering stereotype and, instead, post something worthwhile.