Mariner Status on Holland America

lcimba

Also different from what I have experienced but do admit some may have different experiences. Maybe attitude has something to do with the differences - just saying. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Okay, yes I can feel the flames .....

I cruise for the experience, relaxation and adventure, not medallions, pins or a magazine subscription. Fruit and just about everything else was available if requested only (I also leave the note on the bed) which is fine with me and yes, I do read the info left the 1st day as things do change over time.

Do know that the stewards may seen to hover but would guess it is so they are readily available for assistance if needed. I sometimes use space bags to pack for home and just have to stick my head out to ask the steward to bring "Henry" and he is there is a second with vacuum in tow. My mom would ask them to help with her suitcases.

It is a vacation, enjoy it!

Yes, of course experiences vary. I'm just wondering how stewards have time to hover when they have 30 cabins to clean.

I'm not saying people should or shouldn't like it. It's of no concern to me. I'm just responding to the folks that are complaining about not getting one. I know you can get it elsewhere on the ship.

You are right, of course. It was off topic.

Do not be too much of a brainwashed follower of HAL. Not everyone gets the same service or has had the same experiences.

I'm guessing the difference in most cases is just being nice to the staff you talk with. I had one small issue and brought it to someone's attention, within 24 hours it was not only addressed but compensated (I didn't ask for compensation).

I'm guessing the difference in most cases is just being nice to the staff you talk with. I had one small issue and brought it to someone's attention, within 24 hours it was not only addressed but compensated (I didn't ask for compensation).

You are absolutely right. As frustrating as some things might be, it is usually not the fault of the staff person you are talking to so courtesy and politeness should always be extended. You get back what you give out.

Oh so true! WE don't always get our pins, haven't seen the Mariner magazine in years, etc. And we Really. Don't. Care. This 1st world sense of entitlement is so grating.

Didn't get a pin? No need to rant and rave. An email to the Mariner Society will bring it to you.

Didn't get a glass of dreadful sparkling wine? Consider yourself lucky, that stuff will take rust off your car.

Had to actually wait for embarkation? Move over to the non-entitled line - it's moving faster. Oh, but then people might think you're one of the great unwashed rather than the elite person you really are. Not.

Thank you.

I can understand a little angst in a situation like the OP's, still on board for ten weeks after earning the new level, yet having no real change during that time. However, it sounds like HAL handled it fairly well. If I were in the OP’s shoes, on my better days I’d try to apply a bit of spirituality to such a situation, in the hope that if I managed to do so, maybe I’d grow from the experience.

For all we know, the program could see major changes, like airline frequent flyer programs, now spending-based instead of mileage-based. Not counting days at sea would affect the sense of romance behind the word “mariner”, though. (And free laundry would be no more than a dream for frugal mariners such as myself.:o)

I wouldn't worry about. You do not get much of anything as a 3 star mariner

No one is going to make a $25,000 or more vacation decision on whether they get a free photo of the ship or have to wait 10 days.

Edited by Jade13

I wouldn't worry about. You do not get much of anything as a 3 star mariner

No one is going to make a $25,000 or more vacation decision on whether they get a free photo of the ship or have to wait 10 days.

Totally agree. :)

• 1 month later...
If you book back to back, are you given next level for the second portion if you make it during first part? I would think yes because there is an embarkation for the second portion.

Yes you do. Two years ago we booked a B2B and got our 4* for the second portion. The biggest advantage was the free laundry. Enjoy your cruise what ever level.

Allan

If you book back to back, are you given next level for the second portion if you make it during first part? I would think yes because there is an embarkation for the second portion.
I would "remind" the front desk, because ordinarily the credits aren't posted until 5 to 7 days after the completion of any cruise, and therefore you aren't officially changed until then.

If you are on a true b-to-b vs. a Collector's Cruise, you should be able to have the benefits of your new star level on the second segment.

Here's the rub of it...

On Carnival Cruise Line if you will change levels during the cruise then they give you the recognition and benefits from the start of the cruise.

Too bad Carnival Corp doesn't apply this to HAL, Princess, Costa etc.

Wondering -------

Same procedure possibly apply to medals???

No, medals are given on the cruise where you earn them ... in our case two days before ... and carry no benefits.

On Carnival Cruise Line if you will change levels during the cruise then they give you the recognition and benefits from the start of the cruise.
Does Carnival give "bonus credits" for spending? That could make a difference. Say I start a 7 day cruise needing 10 or 11 credits. I may or may not cross over depending on spending. HAL avoids that question by saying "next cruise" in all cases.

However, if the spending bonus credits are not needed to make the next level, then I think it would be nice for HAL to recognize the upgrade from the start of the cruise.

Edited by jtl513

Wondering -------

Same procedure possibly apply to medals???

Medallions are presented on the cruise during which the new level is achieved. If you reach 500 days on your cruise, you will be awarded the Gold Medallion. Obviously, same for all the various level Medallions.

Here's the rub of it...

It's really not a rub because as you say they are different cruise lines. Carnival Corp. may own them all but they operate under their own rules, for the most part.

While the perks that I get while accumulating star status are nice and I appreciate them I can't say they are a deal breaker like the OP suggested for me. I think I was 4 days into a cruise when I achieved 3 star status-ok. I enjoyed those perks on my next cruise last summer.

As for the pins- the first was mailed and the second I got onboard. In both cases it reminded me off the good memories and adventures I have has on HAL ships.

No, medals are given on the cruise where you earn them ... in our case two days before ... and carry no benefits.

Does Carnival give "bonus credits" for spending? That could make a difference. Say I start a 7 day cruise needing 10 or 11 credits. I may or may not cross over depending on spending. HAL avoids that question by saying "next cruise" in all cases.

However, if the spending bonus credits are not needed to make the next level, then I think it would be nice for HAL to recognize the upgrade from the start of the cruise.

On Carnival no bonus points for spending and no bonus points for suites either. I agree if you do not need spending bonus points to get to the next level then you should get it at the start of the cruise.

I am taking two cruises which are almost back to back (2 day layover in between). I will move up a level at the end of the first cruise. I e-mailed the Mariner Society and their response was that I would get the benefits of the next level on the second cruise BUT I would need to go to guest services and let them know because the credits do not usually get updated in HAL's system that quickly.

I am taking two cruises which are almost back to back (2 day layover in between). I will move up a level at the end of the first cruise. I e-mailed the Mariner Society and their response was that I would get the benefits of the next level on the second cruise BUT I would need to go to guest services and let them know because the credits do not usually get updated in HAL's system that quickly.

Happy to hear you will get the benefits on your second cruise. According to Mariners Society rules, you should. Be sure to go to the Front Office as suggested. :)

So, it would seem that you expect Carnival Corp to apply the benefits you like to all the family cruise lines. What about the policies you don't like? If Carnival Corp applied all the same policies to all of the family cruise lines, then there would be no difference between the cruise lines, would there? The food would be all the same, the suite benefits, etc...

Not much about Carnival appeals to us. We don't want to sail on Carnival, or a cruise line that is like Carnival. We are happy Carnival Corp doesn't make all the family cruise lines the same.

Edited by CruiserBruce

So that's something else for us to celebrate on that second cruise.;)