Proper/matching ID to board a ship. HELP

bbryan5

Ok, we have a cruise booked for January on the Gem out of NYC. We have both cruised with NCL several times. Here's the situation. We are recently married. Our current reservation has my wife's maiden name listed on it. Her current/valid passport ALSO has her maiden name on it (so the reservation name, and passport name MATCH) but she has gone ahead and changed her name on her drivers license to my last name. If you show a passport at check-in, are you still required to show another ID? If so, her last name on the passport (maiden name) and last name on the license (my last name) WON'T match. Below is what I found on NCL's website. I'm wondering if we should expedite a new passport with her "new" married last name to match her drivers license, and switch the name on the reservation. Anyone have any first hand experience with this? Or does anyone know if we will have a problem if we don't get her an updated passport with the "new" married name? Thanks a lot for any and all insight, I really appreciate it.:D:D:D

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For closed-loop sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other valid WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad

Ok, we have a cruise booked for January on the Gem out of NYC. We have both cruised with NCL several times. Here's the situation. We are recently married. Our current reservation has my wife's maiden name listed on it. Her current/valid passport ALSO has her maiden name on it (so the reservation name, and passport name MATCH) but she has gone ahead and changed her name on her drivers license to my last name. If you show a passport at check-in, are you still required to show another ID? If so, her last name on the passport (maiden name) and last name on the license (my last name) WON'T match. Below is what I found on NCL's website. I'm wondering if we should expedite a new passport with her "new" married last name to match her drivers license, and switch the name on the reservation. Anyone have any first hand experience with this? Or does anyone know if we will have a problem if we don't get her an updated passport with the "new" married name? Thanks a lot for any and all insight, I really appreciate it.:D:D:D

I believe you can bring your marriage license that shows the connection from her maiden name to the marrried name on the license.

You will be fine with the current passport and reservation. Other than check-in, the only time you will need to show picture id is returning to the ship in port. In this case it is not NCL that needs to see it, but the port security. I would make sure that she take her passport ashore to use as her id to get back into the port.

Never once have we been asked for a DL if we had a passport. Passport trumps. You should be fine. If you don't really need the DL, just leave it at home. It's actually more important that the name on the reservation, the name on the passport AND, interestingly, the name on the credit card you attach to the cabin all match. Or make sure you have a credit card in your name only and just charge everything to your card.

Edited by drvalo

If you bring a certified (or whatever your jurisdiction does) copy of your marriage certificate, nobody will bat an eyelash at either name. In reality, the passport is all you need, but I would bring my Driver's license and proof of marriage just in case of emergency. Anything can happen from missed ship to accident to mechanical failure so best to be prepared. I call preparedness insurance against chaos because when I am well prepared everything goes smoothly. But if I missed anything, you bet your butt the one in a million chance that I would need it happens.

I would definitely change the reservation. Name on reservation and passport must match.

Our travel agent once rebooked my husband, his middle name is spelled Erickson and the TA had spelled it Erikson. TA felt it was important enough to go and rebook to make sure it was exactly right.

Edited by NYteacher

I would definitely change the reservation. Name on reservation and passport must match.

Our travel agent once rebooked my husband, his middle name is spelled Erickson and the TA had spelled it Erikson. TA felt it was important enough to go and rebook to make sure it was exactly right.

The op already said the name on reservation and the name on passport match. They were worried about DL name not matching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She won't need to show her license, her passport will do the trick. Of course when you go ashore you'll need to carry her passport with her since the ID she presents to get back into the pier area will need to match her key card.

So, in reverse, son and new DIL are traveling about 5 months after the wedding. Passport is in maiden name and reservation is in married name. Change reservation or bring marriage license?

Are they planning on changing her name on her passport or will they wait until renewal to take care of that? If not then binging a copy of the marriage license should do it (provided of course that her drivers license has her married name on it).

The passport name must match the reservation name.

The reservation name must match the passport name.

The only issue the wife may have is carrying her picture ID that doesn't match her ship card when off ship and returning to ship.

Does she have a picture ID (like work card, etc) having the same name as her ship card?

If not, make a photocopy of her passport for her to carry as picture ID when off ship.

I believe you can do a name change on your passport for free if it is in a certain timeframe. I did it and it was quite easy.

That's my recommendation. It's not that hard to do. You don't actually get a new passport, just a note in there that the name was changed.

Don't forget if you're flying that you'll need to have ID to match the tickets as well. Best to pick one name and get everything in that name.

The passport name must match the reservation name.

The reservation name must match the passport name.

The only issue the wife may have is carrying her picture ID that doesn't match her ship card when off ship and returning to ship.

Does she have a picture ID (like work card, etc) having the same name as her ship card?

If not, make a photocopy of her passport for her to carry as picture ID when off ship.

Yes, if the two do not match, one or the other must be changed. The easiest and fastest to change is the reservation name. Forget bringing a marriage certificate to prove a link between two documents. Is it even mentioned in the NCL information on boarding requirements? Don't risk being left on the dock with a reservation and ID that do not match.

When off the ship, in order to re enter, the port authority must obviously see ID that matches the ship card. Whichever matches the ship card, either passport or DL, should be carried. I don't know about paper copies. I would think the port authority would want an actual piece of ID. I would never assume I could get back on the ship with a copy of a passport or DL without a hassle.

According to the CBP website, which trumps NCL, you can travel when your name on travel documents don't match, provided you bring the bridging documentation.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/~/us-citizens%2Flawful-permanent-residents-name-does-not-match-documents

"US Citizens: US Citizens who change their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using your US passport or other WHTI approved document in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change."

This is why I always say that you should bring your marriage license when travelling on BC/DL ("other WHTI approved document" as mentioned in quote above) when the two documents don't match. Generally, and typically, CBP will not ask for this, but they have the right to do so.

I believe you can do a name change on your passport for free if it is in a certain timeframe. I did it and it was quite easy.

If you have renewed a passport within the past year, a name change can be done for free. If the passport was renewed more than one year ago, you have to pay the renewal fee for the name change. I checked on that last year, because I was recently married and wanted a passport in my married name, even though my passport was recently renewed in the last couple years.

Super easy to renew passports!

I NEVER have shown, my "license". Only my passport, sailed 17 times last year on 4 different lines. In your current situation, there is NO problem or issue. I never changed my name, made everything a whole lot easier, including being "anonymous" with using my husband's name and number. Came in very handy a numerous amount of times. :)

Passport and reservation must match. You have no problem. Everyone from Europe uses their passports all the time when travelling. Lots of people I know use to use their passports for I.D. when clubbing including myself. No matter what people say on this site there are not mobs of muggers waiting for you at your port to steal your passport. Just be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to your belongings.

Your port ID does not have to be a drivers license, they just want to see a photo id that matches your cruise card. This pass year my Aunt used her bus pass for port id and I used my social security card and no one questioned the ID.