Ship Security ....

dasania41

Hello All,

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the level of security on the ships as, I hate to say, the current state of affairs in this world....

Has anyone given this a thought? Would you change vacation plans or seem confident in the security (seen & unseen) that RCI probably has on their ships to keep everyone safe....

Edited by dasania41

Nope. Not changing any plans. If we start changing plans, they have won.

When it's your time, it's your time.

The leading cause of death is life.

I would much rather go out doing something I love - and actually living - than let myself be crippled by fear and miss out on LIFE. Journey on my friends!!

The cruise industry does not publically discuss security issues for varied reasons.

I would in no way be more concerned with cruise travel than with any other form of travel or accommodation.

RCI has security at several levels. They have the visible uniformed security that are notable around the ship and at the piers, they have security duties that are covered by other officers and crew in the case of an emergency or incident and then they engage private security consultants, with the most prominent being an Israeli firm that are considered to be the best in the world at the moment. They have agents onboard many sailings.

Each of the ships are equipped with security technology of varied degrees with the latest ships being fully covered by facial recognition technology with both shipboard and land based reporting of security issues.

The various ports around the world have varying degrees of security concerns and also have their own security and often contract additional security consultants for some cruise calls.

I agree with the others. We live in Chicago and I'm not overly concerned about security here so I'm definitely do not give a second thought about a cruise ship. I think you have to be aware of your surroundings, and if you notice something, say something to the proper authorities. Enjoy Life!!

Hello All,

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the level of security on the ships as, I hate to say, the current state of affairs in this world....

Has anyone given this a thought? Would you change vacation plans or seem confident in the security (seen & unseen) that RCI probably has on their ships to keep everyone safe....

Pffft

I agree with the others. We live in Chicago and I'm not overly concerned about security here so I'm definitely do not give a second thought about a cruise ship. I think you have to be aware of your surroundings, and if you notice something, say something to the proper authorities. Enjoy Life!!

They would not want to mess with Black Hawk Fans anyway!;)

Hi All,

Being for the UK and having lived through the IRA bombings in the 70's and 80's you get used to being "security aware" and it becomes a bit of a second nature.

As others have said if you give in to the terrorists then they have won. Just be sensible and aware of your surroundings. Don't take items on board that you don't need, such as hunting knives etc. (Yes, I was on a ship sailing from Ft Lauderdale where an idiot had brought several knives along).

Pete

Hi All,

Being for the UK and having lived through the IRA bombings in the 70's, 80's and 90's you get used to being "security aware" and it becomes a bit of a second nature.

As others have said if you give in to the terrorists then they have won. Just be sensible and aware of your surroundings. Don't take items on board that you don't need, such as hunting knives etc. (Yes, I was on a ship sailing from Ft Lauderdale where an idiot had brought several knives along).

Pete

Hello All,

Zero concerns.

I guess I am the only one. :confused:

I would NEVER even consider not cruising. (I have 2 booked right now) BUT....since the 9/11 towers being taken down, I HAVE thought, geeeezzzz, if they can do THAT, I would think it would be much easier to take out a mega ship in one shot, with over 6K people on board.

Yes, I do agree with the rest of you about NOT cowering in fear, but yes, it does concern me. Just being honest.

Hello All,

If so, I guess one may as well change every plan for every day. Which is exactly what the loser terrorists want.........:rolleyes:

I think getting on a big ship is safer than going to my local mall. All passengers and staff have to go through security screening/scanning and info on the manifest is checked against government data bases. It appears that terrorists look for the easiest way to do the most harm. Ship security also has the "big guns" around and we aren't privy to specific information.

I went to the Carolina Panthers game here in Charlotte yesterday and you saw a larger police presence than usual but after getting into the stadium the events of the world didn't even cross our minds. We were out to just enjoy the game and that is what we did! It would be the same on a cruise...probably would never even cross my mind! I won't let these events prevent me from going anywhere I really want to go unless there is really some serious security alerts at a particular event or place.:cool:

I guess I am the only one. :confused:

I would NEVER even consider not cruising. (I have 2 booked right now) BUT....since the 9/11 towers being taken down, I HAVE thought, geeeezzzz, if they can do THAT, I would think it would be much easier to take out a mega ship in one shot, with over 6K people on board.

Yes, I do agree with the rest of you about NOT cowering in fear, but yes, it does concern me. Just being honest.

While we are seeing human nature at play in this thread to a great degree, it is only wise to carry a rational level of concern.

There are many security threats against the cruise industry and they are being dealt with in the best way the industry possibly can.

Both Carnival Corp and RCL were led through the growth years by Israeli interests. The Ofer family of RCL and the Arison family of Carnival still hold substantial financial interest and both companies are very aware of the security concerns they must face.

While traveling recently on the Liberty repo and visiting St. Barts from St. Maarten, I noticed another security issue. I carry a European passport and when arriving at St. Barts was just waved through, while all 'non-European' passport holders were screened. I sure wanted that stamp in my passport that the others were getting, but did not want to be seen as a 'tourist'