Transatlantic in September -- rough stuff?

jasbo49

Can anyone tell me whether a Transatlantic cruise in September is likely to be a lot rougher than other cruises? I know no one can guarantee and all that stuff. Just wondering whether those who've been noticed a big difference.

We're booked in a forward cabin on the Regal on a Sept. 10 Transatlantic and I'm beginning wonder whether we should pay a little more to move back. We've enjoyed a number of forward cabins, because we don't mind a little motion and we like to save a little money.

But I'm wondering whether it's a world of difference being in the middle of the Atlantic rather than on a California Coastal or a Mexican Riviera cruise.

Any thoughts?

Jim

We did a transatlantic a few years back, from London to NY on the Golden, it was a nice cruise, if it was windy not enough to recall, it was the same year hurricane hit New Orleans, so was watching news about the storm, i.e., wondering whether it would track north east.... didn't we enjoyed 4 nights in NYC over the Labor Day weekend. This was the most northern route we have done, left London late August got to NYC on Labor Day.

I did a TA back in 2007 on the Grand Princess. Coming out of Greenland we hit a Hurricane and spent two days sailing back towards Europe to keep the bow into the wind/seas and couldn't turn around. We were really moving around as seas were 40+ and wind 80+. Turned out to be a great adventure and one of my favorite cruises overall.

We just did a southern TA in September and it was too like glass. It was boring, but still. We did have some wind (we tried ping pong on the exercise deck of the Royal. That was a hoot. You would hit the ball into the wind an it would come back to you!)

Only once were there any waves and that was really nothing.

Looking at your itinerary, the night you leave Belfast sailing south to exit the Irish Sea just before Cobh--plus the first few hours the next night leaving Cobh--could be choppier than any time on the open Atlantic. With only five sea days between Cobh and Boston the ship will be sailing at a brisk clip, but still likely taking the 'Grand Circle' route off the coasts of Greenland and the Canadian Maritimes. The Captain will be able to steer around the worst of the seas--but that route will have plenty of rain and fog. So presumably you weren't planning on working on your tan, and since you have a forward cabin hopefully the sound of the foghorn will lull you to sleep each night.

Edited by fishywood

Looking at your itinerary, the night you leave Belfast sailing south to exit the Irish Sea just before Cobh--plus the first few hours the next night leaving Cobh--could be choppier than any time on the open Atlantic. With only five sea days between Cobh and Boston the ship will be sailing at a brisk clip, but still likely taking the 'Grand Circle' route off the coasts of Greenland and the Canadian Maritimes. The Captain will be able to steer around the worst of the seas--but that route will have plenty of rain and fog. So presumably you weren't planning on working on your tan, and since you have a forward cabin hopefully the sound of the foghorn will lull you to sleep each night.

Yes. Thanks for taking the time to look it up. I should have noted the actual crossing is Belfast to Boston. I actually liked the fact it was a northern route, since September is right in the middle of hurricane season farther south.

I think, given the lack of horror stories and the fact that the Regal is a bigger ship and should smooth out the bumps, we'll just stick with our forward cabin. Thanks, everyone.

Jim

It can go either way. We've done 4 Western Med T/A's which were southerly crossings and one North Atlantic crossing. Three out of the four southerly crossings were glass with one (Ruby 2011) being very rough. The North Atlantic crossing had both calm and somewhat rough seas.....:):):)

Bob

Southern Atlantic usually is calmer than North Atlantic but you just never know when you do crossing including the atlantic.

We prepare for the best and hope for the best.

In other words, we get a cabin more mid ship and we also bring remedies with us to prevent nausea.

Keith