Hotel recommendation - Fort Lauderdale

Fnigro07

I am writing this from our room at the Embassy Suites on 17th right now. Waiting to board the Navigator tomorrow. I usually love the service and decor at ES around the country. But...this one just seems unfriendly.

No smiles at the front desk, no thank you for being a loyal HiltonHonors member, and simply no joy in the reception lobby, darker than most funeral homes.

When they say check in is at 4:00 pm, they mean it! We sat in the lobby until our room was ready at four, even though I checked in online yesterday. Sitting in the lobby and water started to fall on my head from an overhead air conditioner vent. The rooms are musty and old looking. The bathroom looks like something out of the 1940s.

Internet did not work using my loyalty access. Called and did receive a new code. I went to this hotel based on ES experiences elsewhere in the country. I should have done more research.

Thank you so much! We stayed at the embassy 2 years ago and loved it. Prob. Because we had a friend and family rate. We tried booking this year but they are completely sold out.

We also wanted to find a place with complimentary parking.

Have a blas on your cruise!!

I am partial to the Hilton on 17th St, we have stayed there several times recently after it turned into a Hilton and before when it was a Marriott.

There are several restaurants within walking distance, along with a Publix and a Total Wine.

Also there is a passenger ferry stop very close which can take you to Los Olas etc.

I am writing this from our room at the Embassy Suites on 17th right now. Waiting to board the Navigator tomorrow. I usually love the service and decor at ES around the country. But...this one just seems unfriendly.

No smiles at the front desk, no thank you for being a loyal HiltonHonors member, and simply no joy in the reception lobby, darker than most funeral homes.

When they say check in is at 4:00 pm, they mean it! We sat in the lobby until our room was ready at four, even though I checked in online yesterday. Sitting in the lobby and water started to fall on my head from an overhead air conditioner vent. The rooms are musty and old looking. The bathroom looks like something out of the 1940s.

Internet did not work using my loyalty access. Called and did receive a new code. I went to this hotel based on ES experiences elsewhere in the country. I should have done more research.

We stayed there in September. While it is no a new hotel we had no issues. We stayed before and after our cruise. Before, we checked around noon, after the cruise we were in our room before 11 a.m.

Never had a problem with the Embassy Suites and have stayed there several times. It is old, and often seems to be "under renovation ", but never had any problems with hotel or staff. Any hotel in the 17th Street area is very convenient.

Usually cheaper to take a cab to the port, unless hotel has a free shuttle. A lot of the hotels charge $10 a person for hotel shuttle.

Hello -

Anyone have any recommendations where to stay near the Ft Lauderdalr port.

I got an excellent rate recently at Quality Inn & Suites, Stirling Rd. It's nothing fancy, but it provides free shuttle from airport and to the cruiseport, plus breakfast. Lots of eateries close by.

Just stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th myself, and would recommend it. We stayed one night after our cruise and were in our room the minute we walked in at about 9:30am, not a new hotel but clean and accommodating. Would stay there again or recommend it.

I got an excellent rate recently at Quality Inn & Suites, Stirling Rd. It's nothing fancy, but it provides free shuttle from airport and to the cruiseport, plus breakfast. Lots of eateries close by.

Ditto!

We have stayed there several times. Not fancy but the best value for the price. Also has pay for parking if you want while you are cruising. Most guests are cruisers.

Never had a problem with the Embassy Suites and have stayed there several times. It is old, and often seems to be "under renovation ", but never had any problems with hotel or staff. Any hotel in the 17th Street area is very convenient.

Usually cheaper to take a cab to the port, unless hotel has a free shuttle. A lot of the hotels charge $10 a person for hotel shuttle.

E/S is our hotel of choice for port everglades. When we arrived for our last visit at around 1500, we were given a choice, we had pre-registered but that room wasn't ready but we could take another room that was immediately available. We switched rooms and were very happy.

I've been travelling professionally since 1975. Nothing at all wrong with E/S. I've stayed in a lot worse. (Any one want to hear about the tent I lived in for 3 weeks in Korea? It was only a mile and a half to the showers.)

We stayed at the Embassy suites for the third time this past August.

And although it is an older hotel the renovations are clearly obvious.

Upon arrival we are members in the Hilton Honors program and the room we picked out the day prior was not ready, so they offered us one of the ready rooms (we were in our room by 1pm).

The attendant told us which ones were newly renovated and we picked one on the port side 10th floor.

Everything was new from the previous year, curtains, fluffy towels, bottled water in room.

Bathroom was completely new from tile to modern spray shower.

Went to managers free cocktail hour and got "Free Pour" drinks.

I had my Captains and DH had his 7/7.

We tipped the bartenders to start and only needed two drinks to be buzzed:eek:

The snacks were poplcorn, some kinda chex mix and cheese and nachos, it was just ok.

The pool was landscaped nice. Clean and many were swimming.

And the breakfast was unbelievable, fresh made eggs to box cereal and everything in between. Free

We are booked for next year again.

Enjoy we do.

Edited by Lionesss

We have stayed several times at springhill suites at Dania beach. Nice hotel, great staff, great breakfast and great shuttle to ships.

We have stayed there several times. Free airport and cruise terminal shuttle.

Thank you OP and thank you all other posters. We have four rooms booked for December 27 prior to our family NYE Indy cruise and I am the planner for the trip and everyone just goes where I tell them. We are ages 8-70 and read reviews, got what I hhought was a great rate on lmtclub compared to other hotels. Limed that we can walk to Duffys sports bar for dinner and the free breakfast.

My dd and I are arriving on December 26 a day prior to my dh/ds and the rest of my family and will be getting to the hotel about 10 am. I would love to get in our room early but I know even at Disney its not always possible. I had no clue about checking in early until reading this post. Ill do that on Christmas and do the rest of my group when I check in since they arrive a day later since they wont do it. My sister didnt even know she was staying in a balcony cabin until we went out to dinner last week. She really thought she was booked in two insides. They just listen to what I tell them to do lol

For those that have stayed, would you suggest we get a van to take us all to port (there are 11 of us) or just cabs individually.

OP, I hope your trip gets better.

When they say check in is at 4:00 pm, they mean it! We sat in the lobby until our room was ready at four, even though I checked in online yesterday.

When you say that, do you mean you didn't get a room until 4, or they woudn't let you approach the desk until 4? We were definitely allowed to do the checkin process before official checkin time. And I don't remember waiting for a room.

But we didn't do any sort of checkin online. I wonder if doing that caused you to have A room, and so you had to wait for that room?

Anyway, I'm glad to say that we had a much better experience at the ES than you did! Sorry about your experience, absolutely.

DH stayed, for work, at a hotel right near by...a Hyatt, maybe? I mean right next to the ES. And he said he would stay there again, that it was about equal to our leisure experience at ES.