Questioned by Security on the Navigator

My SO and I just returned from the Navigator (December 6-12). We are from Florida. I am 63 and still working (in the law enforcement field), he is 71 and retired. We look like a typical older Florida couple.

On Thursday, we arrived at Labadee around 10:00 a.m. We got off the ship fairly early and asked the Security Officer at the foot of the ramp about a wheel chair for my SO, as he has trouble with long walks. He had a cane with him to assist with the inclines in parts of Labadee. He was pushed from the ship to the tram stop; I walked. We took the tram to Columbus Cove, enjoyed the beach and lunch, took the small tram from Columbus Cove back to the circle and the larger tram back to the entrance. He was pushed from there to the ship. Nice day, nothing out of the ordinary or exciting.

When we returned to the ship about four hours after we left, my card was "dinged" in normally, but my SO's triggered a different sound. An employee from Security was called over and told us that there was a message for us in Guest Services and we needed to go there immediately. We headed right up to GS, knowing that only his daughter would have known to call the Navigator and leave a message, and thinking that it must be an emergency for her to call the ship. She and her family were camping (with their ATVs) the day we left, so we were even more worried.

We arrived at GS and a supervisor (not sure if he was from GS or Security) was called. He led us to a back room. My SO asked him what had happened while we were walking, and he said to wait until we were in the room. By then we were thinking that something really bad had happened if we needed complete privacy to be told.

We were led to a tiny (possibly 5' by 5') room with a small desk and two straight chairs, with a woman seated at the desk. It was obvious that the room was not used to work in.

The woman (whose name we were too rattled to ask for) told us to sit down and said, "What can you tell us about the situation on the beach this afternoon?" My SO asked her what she meant, and she told us that a golf cart had been taken on Labadee by a guest, Security had reviewed photos, and my SO met the description of the suspect. When I talked to somebody else at GS the next day, he read the report and filled in some of the details for me. Apparently a male guest had asked the driver of a golf cart for a ride and was told that the golf cart for only Pinnacle and suite guests. The driver then exited the golf cart and immediately the guest jumped into the golf cart and took off with it.

My SO stated that he was not involved in the "situation", and we voluntarily explained what we had done/where we had been that afternoon. They accepted our explanation, but offered no apologies or further explanation. As we left, I asked if they had a list of other guests to question, and the man said that he had to look at photos and find somebody else. Apparently they saw SO's picture and stopped there. His last name begins with "C", so possibly they searched in alphabetical order.

We were both very relieved that there was no family emergency and the idea of SO absconding with a golf cart was ludicrous, so we found the incident amusing at first. Later, the offensiveness hit us. Telling us there was a message for us at Guest Services and letting us worry about a family emergency seems like overkill; surely there were other ways to have us report to Guest Services. We didn't dwell on the situation and continued to enjoy our cruise, but I fully expected to find a note in our cabin later, with apologies for the inconvenience and appreciation for the immediate response. No, there was never a note or further communication. I asked at GS if the suspect had been identified late the next (last) day, and was told that the report appeared under SO's account, the suspect had not been identified and the investigation was continuing.

While I'm sure they don't want guests using their equipment...it's not like the golf cart could be taken off the beach....I'm sure they found it eventually....

You are right...they jumped to conclusions too fast, and worried you needlessly. I'm glad you didn't let this ruin your vacation...but I would think a letter would be in order...to maybe let them know how their handling of a situation such as this could be better handled in the future....

While I'm sure they don't want guests using their equipment...it's not like the golf cart could be taken off the beach....I'm sure they found it eventually....

You are right...they jumped to conclusions too fast, and worried you needlessly. I'm glad you didn't let this ruin your vacation...but I would think a letter would be in order...to maybe let them know how their handling of a situation such as this could be better handled in the future....

Yes, I will definitely be writing a letter, once I figure out who I should address it to.

I don't think you were treated poorly at all. They asked you to go to Guest Services and then they questioned you in a private room. You can't expect them to tell you on the way there that you are being questioned in a theft. They didn't embarrass you in front of everyone at Guest Services, they took you somewhere private. I wouldn't expect to be updated on the investigation as it was proven, you weren't involved.

You say you work in the "law enforcement field", how do you think they could have handled this differently? From what you have described, they were very professional and didn't put you in a room to stew over the situation.

It sounds like somebody else acted badly, and that your DH happens to resemble him...so much so that they though DH was the one involved and this felt the need to speak to your DH. Perhaps the other party also looks like part of a "typical older Florida couple." The more typical your husband's appearance, perhaps the more likely mistaken identity might occur. Although it took longer to do so, they questioned him in private, surely a better choice than embarrassing him in front of others. It does not sound as if he was detained or abused...just an uncomfortable case of mistaken identity.

Working in law enforcement, do you know what happens in your community when somebody (or even just their vehicle) resembles a suspect...are they not stopped and questioned? And perhaps thus made uncomfortable and inconvenienced? Maybe some are treated less kindly than your DH. I'd be unhappy if this happened to me, either on land or on a ship, but philosophically I know it could happen someday...more likely by police on land than at sea.

I don't think you were treated poorly at all. They asked you to go to Guest Services and then they questioned you in a private room. You can't expect them to tell you on the way there that you are being questioned in a theft. They didn't embarrass you in front of everyone at Guest Services, they took you somewhere private. I wouldn't expect to be updated on the investigation as it was proven, you weren't involved.

You say you work in the "law enforcement field", how do you think they could have handled this differently? From what you have described, they were very professional and didn't put you in a room to stew over the situation.

I think it could have been handled differently by leaving a telephone message on our cabin telephone or sending a note to the cabin, asking us to go to Guest Services at our convenience or before the end of the day. Being stopped as we entered the ship and a false sense of urgency insinuated does not seem appropriate to me. I would have preferred to be clean and dressed during the "interview" rather than covered in sunscreen in a wet bathing suit and sarong and carrying a beach bag with wet, sandy towels. Yes, they were very professional at the time they were causing unnecessary stress and worry. And I believe my SO should be advised if there is a possibility of an unresolved, permanent report on his account.

I think it could have been handled differently by leaving a telephone message on our cabin telephone or sending a note to the cabin, asking us to go to Guest Services at our convenience or before the end of the day. Being stopped as we entered the ship and a false sense of urgency insinuated does not seem appropriate to me. I would have preferred to be clean and dressed during the "interview" rather than covered in sunscreen in a wet bathing suit and sarong and carrying a beach bag with wet, sandy towels. Yes, they were very professional at the time they were causing unnecessary stress and worry. And I believe my SO should be advised if there is a possibility of an unresolved, permanent report on his account.

They were not trying to contact you and your SO concerning something trivial, there was a golf cart taken by an unauthorized individual who resembled your SO. In your line of work, if you are investigating a theft, do you ask the suspect to stop by at their earliest convenience? They knew were you were, they took you to Guest Services and dealt with the investigation immediately. I am sorry you got stressed out over the situation, but they were trying to find whoever took the golf cart so they could deal with them.

If you are concerned about something being in your SO file, then I would contact the cruise line so they can make sure there is record of your SO innocence but other than that, I think it is case closed.

Having spent a career in law enforcement, I'd say an apology for disrupting your day and taking up your time was in order at the end of the interview. It's pretty standard but they're not law enforcement so I'm not sure what their training entails. I have no problem with how they went about it. Better to get it done then and there. They had no way of knowing the situation with your family.

The first thing they should have done was say to you that they needed to speak to you regarding an incident that occurred on Labadee. (this would have stopped you from worrying about your family)

It does appear that they saw your SO's picture and stopped there, and I also agree they are security, not law enforcement there is quite a difference in training.

it was not a theft it was unauthorized use of the cart at best.

Edited by Mac303

At the time they thought your husband was involved in a theft. Yes, they had the wrong person, but they didn't know that at the time. Expecting them to leave a message for a suspected thief to come down at their own convenience isn't realistic.

One thing that I wish I had asked is, "Where did the description of the suspect come from?" I am curious if there was a surveillance video or just a description from the driver.

If there was a surveillance video, I am sure there were a lot of older men in baseball caps, Guy Harvey t-shirts and a bathing suit on the beach that day. Why would they stop looking at photos after selecting just one guest to interview? They had no idea that we would return to the ship during the early afternoon; it could have been just minutes before the ship left Labadee, leaving them little time to continue their search.

If the description came from the driver, did he make a random selection as he happened to reach the letter "C" on an alphabetical list in order to get on with his day? It had to be an enormous task to review so many photos. Or is there a possibility that he may have left the cart unattended briefly while chatting with a coworker, for instance, and had no idea who took the cart but needed to make up a description to cover his inattention?

I just can't imagine what criteria was used to select my SO as the first person to be interviewed, with enough certainty to stop looking further until after his interview. If they did indeed continue the investigation.

The first thing they should have done was say to you that they needed to speak to you regarding an incident that occurred on Labadee. (this would have stopped you from worrying about your family)

It does appear that they saw your SO's picture and stopped there, and I also agree they are security, not law enforcement there is quite a difference in training.

it was not a theft it was unauthorized use of the cart at best.

I have to believe that most people have family back home that at ANY time, could have a need to reach a cruiser in an emergency. What you suggest would have taken the worry about a 'situation back home' off the table for anyone. If the person they was involved in 'something on Labadee' they would start to get 'nervous or display some other type of behavior' -- at worst, the interview would have continued as it did and it would have been determined that these people had no involvement, and time to move on.

But to stop looking through the cruiser list simply because they found a person who fit the description, seems foolish....and in the end, they did not find the right person with this delay.

Yes, it would have been appropriate to have an apology.

One thing that I wish I had asked is, "Where did the description of the suspect come from?" I am curious if there was a surveillance video or just a description from the driver.

If there was a surveillance video, I am sure there were a lot of older men in baseball caps, Guy Harvey t-shirts and a bathing suit on the beach that day. Why would they stop looking at photos after selecting just one guest to interview? They had no idea that we would return to the ship during the early afternoon; it could have been just minutes before the ship left Labadee, leaving them little time to continue their search.

If the description came from the driver, did he make a random selection as he happened to reach the letter "C" on an alphabetical list in order to get on with his day? It had to be an enormous task to review so many photos. Or is there a possibility that he may have left the cart unattended briefly while chatting with a coworker, for instance, and had no idea who took the cart but needed to make up a description to cover his inattention?

I just can't imagine what criteria was used to select my SO as the first person to be interviewed, with enough certainty to stop looking further until after his interview. If they did indeed continue the investigation.

The ships have facial recognition software that could have been used to try to match a surveillance photo, it one existed, with a sea pass photo. The could have shown the driver surveillance film of the area he had parked in and your SO was wearing the same beach attire as who they were looking for and then they ran it through and came up with a match. Really just total speculation but the facial recognition software is on the ship, that is how they can match up photos taken by the ship photographers with your account without running your sea pass card.

I am sure the whole situation was stressful, but I really don't think they could have said anything to you before they did because if you and your SO were involved, they had no way of knowing how you would have reacted to being "caught". A sorry for the inconvenience would have gone a long way, however.

Just as cruise ships have enforced their code of behavior....................

It sounds like the both of you are a couple that keep your standards high.

You even conducted yourself in a professional manner when questioned.

Now, RCI definitely owes you an apology.

Some times someone gets a little "title" and gets carried away with their responsibilities.

Also, they should have evaluated the situation before falsely accusing you.

Good luck with resolution.

Safe travel.s

The (slightly) amusing thing about the incident is that SO had back surgery many years ago that causes him to walk rather slowly and stiffly and avoid bending over. He also had a cane with him because he wasn't sure he would be able to get a wheel chair ride on the pier and he was familiar with the terrain in Labadee. When a 71-year-old man with a cane slowly walked towards the questioning area (please notice that I refrained from saying "the interrogation room" :D ), did they really believe that he was the one who, to quote the report read to me the next day, "just that quick jumped into the golf cart and took off with it"?

If the security team, had the driver of the cart standing by at the sea pass check point as you leave Labadee the driver could have made a direct identification of the person that took the cart.

While the facial recognition software is good, an eyewitness is better, and as we all know as you enter the ship for the first time and security takes your photo it is without a hat on .

Edited by Mac303

If the security team, had the driver of the cart standing by at the sea pass check point as you leave Labadee the driver could have made a direct identification of the person that took the cart.

While the facial recognition software is good, an eyewitness is better, and as we all know as you enter the ship for the first time and security takes your photo it is without a hat on .

When you board the ship from any port, you are required to take your hat off too.

I wonder where he thought he was going to take a golf cart? Isn't Labadee fenced off?

On Catalina Island, most people have Golf Carts instead of cars. So, someone may be interested in it for a small car. How many miles can a cart run on a charge/fill up?

We used to leave our ship number when we cruised, and the only time we got a call was when the Mother-in-Law fell, and they called my Domestic Cell Phone to give the report. That $10 a minute price really discourages people from calling. I gave the number out, along with the ship, sail date, etc. But I was never sure they'd call the right ship.

That alarm is really off putting. I had it go off on me when we were leaving the ship two days after my norovirus attack. They hadn't released my quarantine.

Edited by knittinggirl

Except that his sea pass triggered the alert which is strange itself. Maybe it was just a case elderly profiling. :D As for the notification, the security person at the security check may not have had a clue why there was an alert on the SO's card and therefore only told them there was a message at Guest Services.