Strange incident aboard the Regal last week

xavier

So we sailed on the Regal Dec 6-13, 2015. Gorgeous ship, outstanding crew, Captain Perrin is a gem, Cruise director Paul is hysterical and deputy cruise director Lynne is so cute you could just eat her up.

Took advantage of an upsell offer from a mini suite to an aft owner suite, how lucky were we!! Love love loved it!

So here the incident: Saturday at about 9 pm we were on our balcony having dinner and I see some LIVE EMBERS flying passed us and all around. Both hubby and I were stunned for a sec. It looked like they were coming from the horizon court. As one morning we woke up half a cigar dropped on our balcony I just assumed someone was smoking. Then I smelled fire. Hubby runs inside to call 911 the embers were flying around like crazy and I'm sure the ship,is going to catch fire. Apparently the 911 number is mainly used for medical emergencies. But the lady said she would report it to the bridge. In the meantime, I'm not moving from the balcony cause I'm sure by me staring at the embers will save the ship! A couple of minutes later a Princess employee is on our neighbors balcony saying he tried to knock on our door but there was no answer. When you are on the balcony it is very hard or impossible to hear anything inside the cabin over the sound of the wake. Anyways, he tried to tell us that it was just smoke from the smoke stack and nothing more when a few embers drifted by he ate those words. As my husband was going into the hall to take with him he met our cabin steward as our neighbors 2 doors down called him. The up shot is about a half hour later another employee knocked on our door to say they "were just doing some routine maintenance and everything was under control". Not sure what kind of maintenance you would be doing an a ship that involved fire but we are still here so it was just an exciting night, thankfully.

Anybody every experience this?

Wow , well soot is NOT embers and embers are extraordinarily dangerous as anyone with wood burning fireplaces knows, they will catch anything on fire ...as they burn so hot, heck embers melt metal :0

Will be interested if anyone can give you so REAL thoughts and not that old rear balcony soot thread blah blah

So we sailed on the Regal Dec 6-13, 2015. Gorgeous ship, outstanding crew, Captain Perrin is a gem, Cruise director Paul is hysterical and deputy cruise director Lynne is so cute you could just eat her up.

Took advantage of an upsell offer from a mini suite to an aft owner suite, how lucky were we!! Love love loved it!

So here the incident: Saturday at about 9 pm we were on our balcony having dinner and I see some LIVE EMBERS flying passed us and all around. Both hubby and I were stunned for a sec. It looked like they were coming from the horizon court. As one morning we woke up half a cigar dropped on our balcony I just assumed someone was smoking. Then I smelled fire. Hubby runs inside to call 911 the embers were flying around like crazy and I'm sure the ship,is going to catch fire. Apparently the 911 number is mainly used for medical emergencies. But the lady said she would report it to the bridge. In the meantime, I'm not moving from the balcony cause I'm sure by me staring at the embers will save the ship! A couple of minutes later a Princess employee is on our neighbors balcony saying he tried to knock on our door but there was no answer. When you are on the balcony it is very hard or impossible to hear anything inside the cabin over the sound of the wake. Anyways, he tried to tell us that it was just smoke from the smoke stack and nothing more when a few embers drifted by he ate those words. As my husband was going into the hall to take with him he met our cabin steward as our neighbors 2 doors down called him. The up shot is about a half hour later another employee knocked on our door to say they "were just doing some routine maintenance and everything was under control". Not sure what kind of maintenance you would be doing an a ship that involved fire but we are still here so it was just an exciting night, thankfully.

Welding comes to mind.

The illegal cigar smoker looks to be the suspect in your complaint.

Were you on the Marina Deck? We were in Baja 734 and experienced very bad Soot but for some reason I associated it with Friday night, not Saturday night but with my AIBP, maybe my days are running into each other.

Anyway, our cabin steward specifically mentioned Marina deck getting the worse of the soot on this particular night.

Were you on the Marina Deck? We were in Baja 734 and experienced very bad Soot but for some reason I associated it with Friday night, not Saturday night but with my AIBP, maybe my days are running into each other.

Anyway, our cabin steward specifically mentioned Marina deck getting the worse of the soot on this particular night.

We were on deck C. Did notice soot was REALLY bad Friday night too.

CruiserBruce I do know the difference between soot and live embers.

This is why you shouldn't leave your towels, bathing suits, and hand laundry on the balcony....a stray ember could have been bad news!

OMG! You reminded me of something. When we were on the top deck at the back of the ship looking down someone had a clothes line strewn with clothes draped across their balcony! I took a picture because I thought it was so funny. Now I realize it could have been not so funny. I'll post the picture once I get home from work.

Hi All

Remember being on deck at silly o clock in the morning still dark, engine room

guy was on deck with radio, loads of black smoke and glowing bits coming out

of the stack, turns out it was maintenance they do something that cleans

the stack, may be something similar.

yours Shogun

The stack like a fireplace flue has to be cleaned out periodically. They both collect flammable material that was not completely ignited. One can have a fire in their chimney/flue if it is not cleaned out. I would expect the ship to have the same issue and it sounds like they were cleaning out the ship flue which may cause live embers to be emitted. There should have been crew watching the stern to make sure no problems were created.

Ding, ding, ding. Shogun is the winner.

Late at night, the ship will "blow tubes" to clean the flue pipes of the boilers. This uses steam to power off the soot that stick to the tubes, and these flakes are usually so hot they glow like embers. Another maintenance that is done at night is to clean the turbochargers of the diesel engines. Ground up walnut shells are blown into the exhaust side of the turbocharger to "sand blast" soot from the turbo blades. These bits of nut shell are in exhaust gas at about 400*C, so they tend to burn up as well. Sometimes late night strollers will comment about the smell of roasting nuts. Obviously, the engineers and the bridge officers didn't get on the same page about wind direction, as there is normally a change in ship's heading to ensure the embers trail away aft of the ship.

These embers are not hot enough to melt metal. Due to their large surface area to mass ratio, they cool very quickly when removed from the heat source. Even aluminum melts at 660*C, and steel much higher.

No welding would be done on open decks while underway. There are strict protocols to be observed when cutting or welding, and adequate fire watches in surrounding areas to detect insipient fires from sparks is required. For this reason, outside welding would be done when the ship is stopped and the relative wind speed is minimized.

Scary!!

In 40 years of doing this, I think I've seen one fire started by these embers. You have to have the "perfect storm" of a mass of extremely combustible material located in a spot that is sheltered from the wind of the ship's passage. Generally, these things will burn little holes in things and then self-extinguish due to cooling.

OMG! You reminded me of something. When we were on the top deck at the back of the ship looking down someone had a clothes line strewn with clothes draped across their balcony! I took a picture because I thought it was so funny. Now I realize it could have been not so funny. I'll post the picture once I get home from work.

We saw this too. My wife commented about how Beverly Hillbillies it looked.

:cool:

Sparks coming out of a smokestack, hardly strange.

That may be true but from the vantage point of sitting on a balcony at the aft of the ship you can't tell the origin of the Sparks. We had no,idea where they were coming from other than up.

Ding, ding, ding. Shogun is the winner.

Late at night, the ship will "blow tubes" to clean the flue pipes of the boilers. This uses steam to power off the soot that stick to the tubes, and these flakes are usually so hot they glow like embers. Another maintenance that is done at night is to clean the turbochargers of the diesel engines. Ground up walnut shells are blown into the exhaust side of the turbocharger to "sand blast" soot from the turbo blades. These bits of nut shell are in exhaust gas at about 400*C, so they tend to burn up as well. Sometimes late night strollers will comment about the smell of roasting nuts. Obviously, the engineers and the bridge officers didn't get on the same page about wind direction, as there is normally a change in ship's heading to ensure the embers trail away aft of the ship.

These embers are not hot enough to melt metal. Due to their large surface area to mass ratio, they cool very quickly when removed from the heat source. Even aluminum melts at 660*C, and steel much higher.

No welding would be done on open decks while underway. There are strict protocols to be observed when cutting or welding, and adequate fire watches in surrounding areas to detect insipient fires from sparks is required. For this reason, outside welding would be done when the ship is stopped and the relative wind speed is minimized.

Why on gods (green :eek: brown blue red yellow) earth would there not be deck staff stationed nearby to watch for stray embers? It was suspected to be one cigarette butt that took out over 100 cabins on the Star Princess.

Edited by MTJSR