bedding on Princess - no sheets, just a comforter?

kac0426

I was surprised on my recent Island Princess cruise that the beds had no cover sheet or blanket, just a comforter. At first I was nervous, because on embarkation day the room was very warm and I thought there was no way I would sleep well on a 10-day cruise with only a comforter to cover up with. (I'm a person who has to sleep under SOMETHING, but if it's warm, that will just be a sheet.) To only have the option to sleep under a comforter was something I've never seen on a cruise ship before, or in any hotel. Thankfully, once the ship started sailing the room cooled down considerably and I slept just fine under the comforter. But if I had been traveling with my boyfriend who is very hot natured, he would not have survived. Is this normal with Princess, or is this just an Island Princess thing? Or a fluke for our room only? I can imagine how much laundry this would save, but to not offer you any blankets other than a comforter was odd to me.

I was surprised on my recent Island Princess cruise that the beds had no cover sheet or blanket, just a comforter. At first I was nervous, because on embarkation day the room was very warm and I thought there was no way I would sleep well on a 10-day cruise with only a comforter to cover up with. (I'm a person who has to sleep under SOMETHING, but if it's warm, that will just be a sheet.) To only have the option to sleep under a comforter was something I've never seen on a cruise ship before, or in any hotel. Thankfully, once the ship started sailing the room cooled down considerably and I slept just fine under the comforter. But if I had been traveling with my boyfriend who is very hot natured, he would not have survived. Is this normal with Princess, or is this just an Island Princess thing? Or a fluke for our room only? I can imagine how much laundry this would save, but to not offer you any blankets other than a comforter was odd to me.

Long recent thread on this.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2283465&highlight=top+sheet

Why on earth would they not put a top sheet on a bed?? And why would anyone want to sleep with just a duvet & cover? I'm sure the duvet is not cleaned every week, they most likely just change cover. That is the strangest thing and I'm so glad I saw this thread! Even in the dead of winter I rarely sleep under a comforter (or duvet w/cover) as they are just too warm for me. I would be so upset if I went to get into the bed next July and didn't find a sheet! Nor would I have ever thought to ask for a top sheet.

Thanks, I missed this thread somehow. It was new to me, but ended up not being a problem at all. I just wanted to know for future reference if I travel with someone who is hot natured and would not like the duvet being the only option. Thanks again!

Princess has used duvets for as long as we have been sailing with them. (1999) We always ask for a top sheet the first time we see our cabin steward and it is on the bed that evening.

They are quite common in the British Isles and many European countries.

Why on earth would they not put a top sheet on a bed?? And why would anyone want to sleep with just a duvet & cover? I'm sure the duvet is not cleaned every week, they most likely just change cover. That is the strangest thing and I'm so glad I saw this thread! Even in the dead of winter I rarely sleep under a comforter (or duvet w/cover) as they are just too warm for me. I would be so upset if I went to get into the bed next July and didn't find a sheet! Nor would I have ever thought to ask for a top sheet.

Not strange at all, quite common in European countries. Just ask your room steward to add a top sheet. Problem solved. :)

The duvet covers are changed out. The duvets themselves are washed every so often. The duvet on the Crown wasn't dried properly, all the stuffing was in the lower right corner of each baffle square. The bed had hills and valleys.

And why would anyone want to sleep with just a duvet & cover?

Spoken like a person who has always slept with a top sheet and blanket.

For people who sleep regularly with Duvets, they would ask why you would sleep with the extra sheet and blanket.

We don't lose sleep over not having a top sheet....FWIW.

Spoken like a person who has always slept with a top sheet and blanket.

For people who sleep regularly with Duvets, they would ask why you would sleep with the extra sheet and blanket.

We don't lose sleep over not having a top sheet....FWIW.

Actually, I rarely sleep with a blanket, even in the dead of winter here in Chicago. Year round I sleep with just a sheet and a fan blowing on me. The temperature has to get below 0 degree F for me to put a blanket over me. And yes, I would lose sleep over not having a top sheet, because I'd get way too hot under a duvet/blanket/comforter and it would wake me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least you can adjust the thermostat to your own comfort level. I take sleep shorts and a t-shirt and silky long johns so I can be comfortable either way

27926-profile.png

my-cruise-countdown.aspx?dat=01%2F11%2F2016&dest=M&ship=ISMy Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to Mexico on 01/11/2016 aboard the Carnival Inspiration! Visit Carnival.com to see all Mexico cruises

I cruise for Creme brulee, chocolate melting cake and lobster!

All beds are striped and remade prior to the new passengers embark. This includes the duvet.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Not so, only the duvet cover is changed. Duvets are laundered on a schedule determined by the line's corporate director of housekeeping.

Why on earth would they not put a top sheet on a bed?? And why would anyone want to sleep with just a duvet & cover?
Because I want to and that's my preference and how I sleep at home. Even in summer unless it's an exceptionally hot day. Everyone's different.

While we're used to sheet and blankie at home, the Hubs and I slept just fine with the duvet on our recent Island cruise. More than fine. We barely wanted to get up to eat on our sea days.

IIRC, Carnival (and maybe NCL?) also had duvets when last we sailed on them.

Why on earth would they not put a top sheet on a bed?? And why would anyone want to sleep with just a duvet & cover?

Perfectly standard in lots of countries :)

Come to my house and you'll find this exact set up - haven't owned a flat sheet for more than 30 years :D

Bottom sheet, pillowcases and duvet cover laundered every week - honest ;)

Question for all of you who sleep without a top sheet. Where do you buy your linens at home without the top sheet already packaged with the bottom?

Personally, I always sleep with a top sheet and would have to be knocked out cold before I could sleep without one. In addition, I prefer an additional layer of fabric between me and the last person who used the duvet before.

When we cruise with Princess we always ask the steward to put a top sheet and light blanket on the bed when he comes around for the evening. I suggest that you ask him to leave the comforter in the room because you never know if you will need it to soften the infamously overly firm or sagging mattress. Trust me on this.;)

Not so, only the duvet cover is changed. Duvets are laundered on a schedule determined by the line's corporate director of housekeeping.

All the more reason to want that additional sheet between you and the previously used duvet.

For those of you who use only the duvet and duvet cover at home is totally understandable if that is what you prefer but if the duvets on the ship are NOT changed out with each passenger/cabin change, why would you be OK with that? If sanmarcosman is wrong with his statement, then all I can say is "to each his own."

and Good Night John Boy