Gifts for Workers

Lerin

No, I'm not asking if and what I should give.

This is in response to several threads that have come up where people ask about bringing trinkets, candy or cash for various employees of the ship.

We just got off Magic and one morning I was in the hall chatting with 2 employees. I brought up something about getting days off because on a previous cruise a few positions were given a bit of extra time due to a ship charter.

They both laughed and said they'd never been so lucky to be on those charters but a day off would be nice. One of them then remarked that she got a day off once a year ago. The reason for the extra time? Because some guests had written positive remarks about her on their comment cards.

Thought some of you may be interested.

So next time you think of giving a crew member an "I Love Bosie" mug filled with taffy perhaps consider instead writing "I love this crew member because...." on notepaper and giving it to their boss. ;)

You are so very correct. We just disembarked on 12 December. Our last night we had a thank you card with a small cash gift for a bar waitress that we saw all over the ship. She was such a dear woman and an excelled at her job. When we handed her the card she thanked us and said something along the lines of "as much as I appreciate this please may I ask a favor? When you fill out your survey will you mention me by name? That helps us when they review our work". Yes, I wrote a long missive regarding her talents and yes I spelled her name correctly and also listed her home country.

So true! These folks work for MONEY...just like you do! If you can give them something (feedback) that gives them time off, or a raise....do it!

They don't need mugs or tee shirts, or something from your hometown....I bet y'all don't want that stuff, either!

I'd rather have the money than a turkey or ham from my employer....

We always just give cash to special crew members - if they want taffy in a mug we figure they can buy it :D:D (yes, we always leave auto tips on)

We too write notes and turn them in before debarking - commending them to CCL for excellent service - mentioning the date we cruised and our cabin #, their name, and very specifically how their service enhanced our experience.

If you talk with staff it seems all of them have goals of not just making more $$$ but of moving up in the pecking order of the ship staff. :)

No, I'm not asking if and what I should give.

This is in response to several threads that have come up where people ask about bringing trinkets, candy or cash for various employees of the ship.

We just got off Magic and one morning I was in the hall chatting with 2 employees. I brought up something about getting days off because on a previous cruise a few positions were given a bit of extra time due to a ship charter.

They both laughed and said they'd never been so lucky to be on those charters but a day off would be nice. One of them then remarked that she got a day off once a year ago. The reason for the extra time? Because some guests had written positive remarks about her on their comment cards.

Thought some of you may be interested.

So next time you think of giving a crew member an "I Love Bosie" mug filled with taffy perhaps consider instead writing "I love this crew member because...." on notepaper and giving it to their boss. ;)

Sending positive comments to GS is usually mentioned along with the just giving cash but those posters ignore that, no matter.

You are so very correct. We just disembarked on 12 December. Our last night we had a thank you card with a small cash gift for a bar waitress that we saw all over the ship. She was such a dear woman and an excelled at her job. When we handed her the card she thanked us and said something along the lines of "as much as I appreciate this please may I ask a favor? When you fill out your survey will you mention me by name? That helps us when they review our work". Yes, I wrote a long missive regarding her talents and yes I spelled her name correctly and also listed her home country.

Thanks for reminding me to write down the names and home country of all that make our cruise special. Usually by time I get home and fill out reviews, I have forgotten names.

This is a great point. But by the time I get the comment card I have forgotten everyone's names that I would like to mention. I will try to do a better job of this on the next cruise.

I've learned to jot the names down on a post-it-note after the first time or 2 we meet our steward and MDR staff - then add any others that are special.

That way I don't forget before the email survey comes - or have them available if I want to write a note of commendation to their bosses before we disembark. :)

DH is super good with names! We use them when talking to the crew just as they use our names in talking to us. We greet them when we see them . When you use names you tend to remember them better!

While on the ship we have often had a chance to speak with some of the officers in charge and have always made a point to mention names of particular workers who have been outstanding. We don't wait until we get a card at the end of the cruise.

Always a special thank you note to anyone that makes a difference in your life; regardless if it is a cruise member, cashier at the store or anyone

(just told the manager at my local grocery store how great and pleasant the cashier is... his reward was a free sub, drink and extra break.. (then puts all the names in a jar and draw one with a gift card..)

It really does make a difference. Thank you notes stays forever..

Still give the $$$ cash along with the tips.

Thanks for the tip about writing down names and countries, I too sometimes do forget.

I try to mention good service by name because I already knew they could get raises or promotions. Finding out they could also get some extra time off was new information for me.

This a great reminder. A lot of times what I will do is for example if I have a favorite bartender or server, I will be sure to keep a receipt with their name on it, and from their name tag I will write down what country they're from. That way when I fill out the survey I can specifically say name, country, and at which bar they were working.

Great idea. I always make a note of crew members that have made a difference, and write a letter when I get home, making sure to mention them by name. There are many with the same first name, so be sure to mention their home country and where they were serving.