It's the seemingly "little" things...

Flatbush Flyer

Just saw an NBC Today Show "Rossen Report" brief segment on cruise ship cleanliness. In testing all sorts of public surfaces on a mass market ship, perhaps the worst germ laden surface they examined was the handle of self serve buffet tongs (at 30 times higher than the acceptable level).

Yet another nicety about O is the staff served Terrace food.

Just saw an NBC Today Show "Rossen Report" brief segment on cruise ship cleanliness. In testing all sorts of public surfaces on a mass market ship, perhaps the worst germ laden surface they examined was the handle of self serve buffet tongs (at 30 times higher than the acceptable level).

Yet another nicety about O is the staff served Terrace food.

Not surprised at all - they get a lot of usage on mass market ships - like the ones with 2000+ passengers.

Second the policy on O Terrace Cafe (especially when enforced and complied with).

I like being served in the buffet for a number of reasons, especially the "ick" factor. On my recent Regatta cruise, I couldn't believe how many people were eating off their own plates in the buffet line, including licking their fingers! I appreciate the fact that the O staff serves the food. The only challenge is the salad making, specifcally the amount of dressing (just have to be firm, "a little please" as well as the size of the portions (again, just be firm with your request because of the language issues) and if you don't eat everything, its not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things considering the Noro factor.

Lucking the number of children on O are minimal, as they exponetially increase the buffet "ick" factor.

John

Edited by PSULion

Maybe if everyone put a comment in about having the glass lowered to the counter in the Terrace someone at Oceania may take notice

I hate when I see people reaching under the sneeze guard over open food trays :eek:

being on a cattle boat with throngs of kids...scooter ridding adults,with dogs ridding inthefront basket being fed at the table, and as they jam through likea juggernaut to grab-grab and grab somemore.....

It may not be perfect...but its a darn sight better than the mass market floating feed lots....where greed reigns supreme

Unnfortunately on my last TA I saw very few people using sanitizers and far too many people serving themselves because there were always easy to reach tongs available in the cold stations for people tp grab. What only added to the issue was the fact that many of the staff in the salad area were busy talking to each other.

I understand there have been problems for people on Riveria. For those that are upset at an outbreak I hope that you are being diligent about sanitation as well.

We just got off the Nautica and I think a lot of passengers seem to have a false sense of security with the staff serving you in the buffet. More often than not I saw the staff take the plate out of the guests hand to plate the food item thereby contaminating their hands or gloves with whatever may have been on that plate from the guest touching it and then passing it on to the next plate when they would then handle the next plate. I rarely saw people use handle sanitizers and no one encouraged the use of them. There were numerous items that were also self serve at the buffet such as toppings for some of their desserts.

The other thing that surprised me were the fabric covered headboards in the cabins. Ours was in dire need of cleaning when we checked into our cabin and I had to leave a note the following morning for our cabin attendant to clean it. The Norovirus can live quite some time on fabric.

We just got off the Nautica and I think a lot of passengers seem to have a false sense of security with the staff serving you in the buffet. More often than not I saw the staff take the plate out of the guests hand to plate the food item thereby contaminating their hands or gloves with whatever may have been on that plate from the guest touching it and then passing it on to the next plate when they would then handle the next plate.

That is a good point

The plates should be behind the counter so that only the staff can pick them up

I know at the salad counter it was the case on our last cruise

Originally Posted by coldweathergirl viewpost.gif

We just got off the Nautica and I think a lot of passengers seem to have a false sense of security with the staff serving you in the buffet. More often than not I saw the staff take the plate out of the guests hand to plate the food item thereby contaminating their hands or gloves with whatever may have been on that plate from the guest touching it and then passing it on to the next plate when they would then handle the next plate.

That is a good point

The plates should be behind the counter so that only the staff can pick them up

I know at the salad counter it was the case on our last cruise

Hmm...how can this be different or improved? There are many occasions where you got, say, a slice of beef from the carving station and then venture on to another part of the buffet to pick up something else. Should a new plate be given/requested every time?

Hmm...how can this be different or improved? There are many occasions where you got, say, a slice of beef from the carving station and then venture on to another part of the buffet to pick up something else. Should a new plate be given/requested every time?

I have gotten meat from the carving station & the staff passes my plate to those in the hot food section beside him/her for the hot items

I get salad at the salad station on a clean dish

It is not that hard to do

I have gotten meat from the carving station & the staff passes my plate to those in the hot food section beside him/her for the hot items

I get salad at the salad station on a clean dish

It is not that hard to do

That would definitely work...now just need to inform everyone to do the same... ;-)

Edited by ipoh

On our last Regatta Cruise at the breakfast buffet I observed one elderly gentleman reach under the glass and remove several strips of bacon with his bare hands when the server was looking the other way. My wife and I skipped the bacon.

I seem to recall that in the Terrace Cafe there are bottles of various condiments clustered together. Maybe I'm being "Felix Unger" but I'm afraid to touch them...

Harry

I agree

some cruise line have those bottle of salad dressings with everyone picking them up & slopping the dressing down the bottle for the next person to touch

I like my salad but without dressing it is not as tasty

Being a Regent cruiser, this thread stuns me. I cannot remember the last time that Regent had a "noro" outbreak and passengers serve themselves. Did it occur to anyone that the crew also gets sick and could contaminate plates/food - even if they wear gloves? Yesterday I Googled "norovirus" and learned just how much it has spread in the states. IMO, most of the problems come from passengers and/or crew boarding the ships while already infected.

Also remember in the other thread someone posted that 2 ladies got on the ship were violently ill

not sure if they were ill at the time of boarding & lied on the medical questionnaire or became ill after boarding

With Noro you can seem fine up until you are not & are contagious during the pre & post episode :rolleyes:

being on a cattle boat with throngs of kids...scooter ridding adults,with dogs ridding inthefront basket being fed at the table, and as they jam through likea juggernaut to grab-grab and grab somemore.....

It may not be perfect...but its a darn sight better than the mass market floating feed lots....where greed reigns supreme

Certainly hope I don't offend you or anyone else by riding my scooter on Oceania. Being disabled since age 2, I have no choice, but I'll try being as inconspicuous as possible by staying in the Owners Suite.

Why do so many people rag on those with scooters? I would give anything to be able to walk, but that's not in the cards. And I'm certainly not going to give up traveling because of some bias against scooters. Remember, just but for the grace of God go any of you.

I seem to recall that in the Terrace Cafe there are bottles of various condiments clustered together. Maybe I'm being "Felix Unger" but I'm afraid to touch them...

Harry

In the grill area they have squeezy bottles of ketchup etc on the tables and it gets pretty warm through the windows. I commented on this during one of our cruises and we were assured the bottles were cleaned/replaced daily. However these bottles are being handled over and over again during one day so don't feel quite comfortable with that aspect.

We feel a bit silly, but we always take a big pack of those catering plastic gloves with us and always make a point of wearing one when collecting food from the buffet. We have suffered Noro in the past on a ship and I would wear a spacesuit in the buffet if it meant I wouldn't get it again!

Certainly hope I don't offend you or anyone else by riding my scooter on Oceania. Being disabled since age 2, I have no choice, but I'll try being as inconspicuous as possible by staying in the Owners Suite.

Why do so many people rag on those with scooters? I would give anything to be able to walk, but that's not in the cards. And I'm certainly not going to give up traveling because of some bias against scooters. Remember, just but for the grace of God go any of you.

Good post. We all should keep this in mind. :):):)

Good post

keep in mind some scooter riders are not as courteous as others & give the others the bad rap

Enjoy the cruise

I totally concur. Those obnoxious scooter users are usually those who don't actually "need" a scooter, but use one for convenience or, quite frankly, because they just don't want to do all the walking. But the post polio has destroyed my legs, and my scooter is a constant companion, not unlike the virtuoso Itzhak Perlman, another post polio survivor.

I totally concur. Those obnoxious scooter users are usually those who don't actually "need" a scooter, but use one for convenience or, quite frankly, because they just don't want to do all the walking. But the post polio has destroyed my legs, and my scooter is a constant companion, not unlike the virtuoso Itzhak Perlman, another post polio survivor.

Have a great cruise and don't bother with those idiots who do not know what real life is all about. We who can get around are blessed and sometimes take that for granted. Lets do all that we can for those who can't. :):):)