Cruising is more expensive.

bthom70

12+ yr cruising family here with 17 cruises trying to plan another cruise for Summer 2016. As a new family of 3, we are in the process of adopting a now almost 9yo son who's been with us for 15months. We were able to take a Bermuda cruise in 2015 without a passport, but for 2016 he will be adopted and with a passport we can choose from more itineraries.

I've been pursuing the choices for RCL for 2016 and they seem much more costly than ever before, even with the BOGO and discounts they are more expensive.

We used to drop a few hundred for flights and $800-1,000pp and have our trip more affordable. Now with 3 of us and increased prices on cruises and flights I can't find much of anything less than $4,000-5,000 total.

End Rant.

Agree, new, better, and bigger ships with wonderful entertainment and Broadway shows. And, someone has to cover the cost for all the free booze for C&A members and balcony discounts;) Thanks

Edited by setsail

We booked our cruise exactly one year ago today for April 2016. Since booking the cost has increased by $1300. There seems to have been an overall price jump over the past 8 months or so.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

We booked our cruise exactly one year ago today for April 2016. Since booking the cost has increased by $1300. There seems to have been an overall price jump over the past 8 months or so.

The economy has improved. Ships are sailing full, so it should be little or no surprise that cruiselines are charging more for their sailings than they were able to, even 8 months ago. Other than gasoline there are very few things that are less expensive now than last year. Just another reason to be happy that we booked when we did.:)

The economy has improved. Ships are sailing full, so it should be little or no surprise that cruiselines are charging more for their sailings than they were able to, even 8 months ago. Other than gasoline there are very few things that are less expensive now than last year. Just another reason to be happy that we booked when we did.:)

Maybe I should add that I pay in Canadian dollars, so the dropping dollar could be affecting the amount for us. But the OP didn't mention so I'm guessing OP is in US.

12+ yr cruising family here with 17 cruises trying to plan another cruise for Summer 2016. As a new family of 3, we are in the process of adopting a now almost 9yo son who's been with us for 15months. We were able to take a Bermuda cruise in 2015 without a passport, but for 2016 he will be adopted and with a passport we can choose from more itineraries.

I've been pursuing the choices for RCL for 2016 and they seem much more costly than ever before, even with the BOGO and discounts they are more expensive.

We used to drop a few hundred for flights and $800-1,000pp and have our trip more affordable. Now with 3 of us and increased prices on cruises and flights I can't find much of anything less than $4,000-5,000 total.

End Rant.

Higher $$$ and less quality.

I agree flights in to Florida ports (Especially FLL And MIA) for weekend cruises have gone way up. However the ships have gotten bigger as well, so there are more people flying in and out of both airports Friday-Monday. As a person that has to fly to cruise I feel the pain, and look for other ports like Tampa, Orlando (Port Canaveral) or Baltimore that often have less of an effect on pricing from cruisers.

As far as the BOGO Half off sales...well if you read many posts on year you will see many people agree with you that the prices didn't really go down.

There are some good deals out there, but your travel plans have to be flexible. If you are looking to go summer, winter break, or spring break It will hurt the wallet a bit because that is when many people are looking to go and it is all on supply and demand.

End Rant.

Have you looked at sailing from Bayonne, NJ or Baltimore MD to Bermuda? No need to fly. The latter will be significantly cheaper due to the older ship. But that also means less bells and whistles.

ETA: I misread what you originally wrote and thought you were looking for a Bermuda sailing. That being said, I would still look at itineraries from ports you can drive to at least curb that cost. HTH!

Edited by Laney219

With 3 people at those prices and airfare you were already at $4000. You can have an inside on the Freedom in June 2016 for about $1000pp.

BTW, with the typical closed loop sailings from NA, you still don't need a passport.

Thanks for all the comments, we live in the NYC area and have driven to Bayonne NJ and Baltimore MD to save. The ships are older and itineraries less desirable. Being diamond we've been to many places even a trans-Atlantic to Barcelona.

The times are changing and we're not so sure what line is loyal to us any longer, we prefer celebrity but they have zero Caribbean cruises in the summer, in fact the only North America is Alaska and Bermuda everything else is over seas.

Last night I started looking at Msc and NCL

The other irk are all of the NYC and Bayonne cruises are super expensive, even if you factor in no flights they are all more expensive, they play the "lets bleed the captive audience dry". On the other hand cruises from Florida are cheaper and they often don't fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments, we live in the NYC area and have driven to Bayonne NJ and Baltimore MD to save. The ships are older and itineraries less desirable.

Last night I started looking at Msc and NCL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthem out of Bayonne jacks the price up there.

I have read about ncl nickel and diming their customers more. Cruisewithgambee has a lot of articles.

For Canadians it's getting very expensive...with our dollar now at over a 40% exchange rate, its a huge difference from just a cpl years ago. Never mind the cost of the cruise its self being more expensive than a few years ago on top of that.

Then you add on the crazy cost of flights from Canada......what I wouldn't give to be able to just drive to a port.

Anthem out of Bayonne jacks the price up there.

I have read about ncl nickel and diming their customers more. Cruisewithgambee has a lot of articles.

I was looking at Anthem, but at 2,400pp for balcony even for a 9night is outrageous. Even then for 90% of the weeks I looked at they didn't have any balconies for 3people.

For Canadians it's getting very expensive...with our dollar now at over a 40% exchange rate, its a huge difference from just a cpl years ago. Never mind the cost of the cruise its self being more expensive than a few years ago on top of that.

Then you add on the crazy cost of flights from Canada......what I wouldn't give to be able to just drive to a port.

Can you fly out of Maine was less money. We live in Ontario but we choose to fly out of Buffalo to save quite a bit of money. We drive right by Toronto Pearson airport to get to Buffalo