When the bottom falls out of your home currency...

Sopwith

We in the US have had and still have poor exchange rates of the Euro, and the British Pound. I don't think any of us expect hotels and restaurants in Europe and Britaian to lower their rates for us. Can't imagine why a cruise line would do that for Canadians or any one else.

It really depends on how much they want to keep my business. The value proposition with O is marginal at the best of times, with the way they handle the "free" air a definite negative. With a 40% premium it changes the game, and other alternatives become more attractive.

It really depends on how much they want to keep my business. The value proposition with O is marginal at the best of times, with the way they handle the "free" air a definite negative. With a 40% premium it changes the game, and other alternatives become more attractive.

No matter what you pay with or pay to whom ,the decision to pay a price is based on your perception of value to you.

It is in reality a personal evaluation that each has to decide if ,for what they pay, they get a value that they themselves feel worth it. Some buy a Honda while others buy a Mercedes... both are cars that perform the function of transportation. Some get inside cabins while others seek Owners Suite.... both the same basic needs fulfilled...a bed and and a bathroom.

Some feel a fine dining meal for 2 over $100 not worth it while others feel good about $600. to $1500.00

It so all is relative to your own value system.

So ,its not about what someone charges, its about the value that YOU perceive something is worth to YOU. Entirely your decision...no one else.

I am the most apolitical person, and certainly not knowledgable in the field of finance and world economics. I am certainly NOT looking for a fight, or a continued discussion on this. You have stated your point very definitively, and I felt I must respond...

We are Canadians who own property in your home state of Florida. There are plenty of Canadians who own property in the States, and support the US economy significantly. In our case, and that of many other Canadians, we pay significantly more property tax because of your Homestead Exemption in Florida. What would happen if everyone in FL was paying those lower tax rates?

Also, as for exchange rates, I don't ever recall a time when our dollar was worth as much more to yours', as the US dollar is to the CA. We are thrilled on the rare occasion it is at par, or a cent or 2 more than yours'. And I certainly didn't laugh when our dollar was worth 2 cents more than yours'....and we did buy as much as we could then!

Imagine paying $1.40 for each US dollar, for 3-6 months of the year!

I believe we have also paid $2.50 for a British pound in the past.

The US and Canada are neighbours, and I bet Canadians make up the second largest group of passengers after Americans on Oceania. I think it is wonderful of Oceania to offer some kind of a price break, and it certainly doesn't cover the difference, but we appreciate it. I would NEVER expect Europe or Britain to give either Canadians or Americans a price break...

Maybe I have an overly simplistic view, but as I said, I don't profess to have any knowledge in economics, but particularly at this time of year, let's try and have some goodwill!

Happy New Year!

Edited by tropicalkerry2002

According to the Bank of Canada the lowest our dollar hit was in 2002

1 CAD was .61 cents USD :eek:

or 1 USD was 1.57 CAD

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/cad-usd-rate-lookup/

so not sure who was benefiting the most

Yes it is a personal choice for us whether we find value in spending

$6500 USD for the same cruise as a US resident gets for $4000 USD

Edited by LHT28

Even though I often disagree with Hawaii Dan, this time his advice is spot on. On our last several trips, I have been amazed at both: (1) the number of Americans that travel regularly to Europe that have opened bank accounts in European banks, i.e. Deutsches Bank or other. This has allowed them to capitalize on conversion opportunities when they avail themselves and; (2) the number of Canadians that have accounts in both the US and in European banks.

One of my very close friends, that lives in Austria about 4-5 months a year, deposited in his European account and converted about $20K back earlier in the year when the $ and Euro were nearly at par. Every Euro he spends over there now is still at that conversion rate, not the current rate. A lot better return than he was getting from the bank or the stock market.

A huge additional plus for my American friends that have done this, is the ability to get a true chip and PIN card from their European bank for use while on vacation there. I have been told, and one of my plans for 2016 is exploring and following up, that some of the European Banks; with offices here in the US, allow one to open accounts in Euros, as opposed to dollars; and will issue you c&P cards.

If I were Canadian, with all the wild swings in your currency, I would definitely be exploring opening bank accounts in other countries to hedge your savings.

According to the Bank of Canada the lowest our dollar hit was in 2002

1 CAD was .61 cents USD :eek:

or 1 USD was 1.57 CAD

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/cad-usd-rate-lookup/

so not sure who was benefiting the most

Yes it is a personal choice for us whether we find value in spending

$6500 USD for the same cruise as a US resident gets for $4000 USD

Think you mean $6,500 CAD and even at its' worse as you describe, still less than the $6,500 CAD you quoted and today much less, around $5,600 CAD to spend $4,000 USD on a cruise or whatever.

Also hurts all of us to go to the UK and spend around $1.50 per UK pound. It is what it is and if you choose to go where the exchange rate hurts, it is your choice. As others stated other countries don't price in other than their currency so why should a cruise line lose money by giving specials to certain nationalities??

As Dan said so well, we have to each see if the price charged is valuable enough for us to pay it.

Think you mean $6,500 CAD and even at its' worse as you describe, still less than the $6,500 CAD you quoted and today much less, around $5,600 CAD to spend $4,000 USD on a cruise or whatever.

The conversion thing always confuses me ;)

let me just say last week I paid $5500 CAD & got $3920 USD

Rate was $1.40

If I were Canadian, with all the wild swings in your currency, I would definitely be exploring opening bank accounts in other countries to hedge your savings.

Some of us have USD bank accounts here in Canada also have a USD VISA card that we can use the USD bank account to pay it with

At some point you still need to pay the exchange rate to convert CAD to USD though ;)

When the Euro was 1.07 for USD it was 1.30 + for CAD

It is what it is we just modify our travel plans accordingly

Good thing DH got a new motorcycle this year I think I will be relearning how to pack light ;)

Edited by LHT28

I am the most apolitical person, and certainly not knowledgable in the field of finance and world economics. I am certainly NOT looking for a fight, or a continued discussion on this. You have stated your point very definitively, and I felt I must respond...

We are Canadians who own property in your home state of Florida. There are plenty of Canadians who own property in the States, and support the US economy significantly. In our case, and that of many other Canadians, we pay significantly more property tax because of your Homestead Exemption in Florida. What would happen if everyone in FL was paying those lower tax rates?

Also, as for exchange rates, I don't ever recall a time when our dollar was worth as much more to yours', as the US dollar is to the CA. We are thrilled on the rare occasion it is at par, or a cent or 2 more than yours'. And I certainly didn't laugh when our dollar was worth 2 cents more than yours'....and we did buy as much as we could then!

Imagine paying $1.40 for each US dollar, for 3-6 months of the year!

I believe we have also paid $2.50 for a British pound in the past.

The US and Canada are neighbours, and I bet Canadians make up the second largest group of passengers after Americans on Oceania. I think it is wonderful of Oceania to offer some kind of a price break, and it certainly doesn't cover the difference, but we appreciate it. I would NEVER expect Europe or Britain to give either Canadians or Americans a price break...

Maybe I have an overly simplistic view, but as I said, I don't profess to have any knowledge in economics, but particularly at this time of year, let's try and have some goodwill!

Happy New Year!

2or 3 years my Canadian friends were having a jolly old time when they could buy a US dollar for 90 cents Canadian. Now times have changed. Goes both ways..

Lyn;

I realize the money has to be converted at some point, but the standing account allows one to swing the money when it is in their advantage to do so ( if they have the money available to do so) not being forced to do the conversion at the time payment is required. If you have a cruise booked on O and payment is not due for several months, and the Canadian dollar takes a run, you can convert over then and not have to wait until payment due date. 1.30CAD to $1 is still better than 1.40CAD to $1.

Also hurts all of us to go to the UK and spend around $1.50 per UK pound. It is what it is and if you choose to go where the exchange rate hurts, it is your choice. As others stated other countries don't price in other than their currency so why should a cruise line lose money by giving specials to certain nationalities??

As Dan said so well, we have to each see if the price charged is valuable enough for us to pay it.

Very well said. Better than I could do it.

This discussion is not about Canadians, British, Americans Austrians ,Germans, Argentines, Mexicans, or even Martians........

Its about how you plan and spend your recources...in this case money. Its about you planning for the future not thinking of the past present but the future, having learned from the past and present.

If where you live has a cloudy future and unstable past... Get educated in all the ways you have to become smarter. Its an insurance policy you creat and finance your self. Things going bad at home? Ask could I have seen this trian wreck coming? When things changed..why did they. When things began tochange did you sit back or pay attention.

Any one...any nationality, county state, region, dominion, kingdom or city

has the power to take control of their future. Dont cry...get going Dont fret..get eduicated. Dont stand in the street, watching a truck heading for you and say darn thats a big truck I hope it dosent hit me....I wonder what I could do to not get hit?.........Get out of the way!!! Do something !!!

Happy new year....

Lyn;

I realize the money has to be converted at some point, but the standing account allows one to swing the money when it is in their advantage to do so ( if they have the money available to do so) not being forced to do the conversion at the time payment is required. If you have a cruise booked on O and payment is not due for several months, and the Canadian dollar takes a run, you can convert over then and not have to wait until payment due date. 1.30CAD to $1 is still better than 1.40CAD to $1.

That is what I normally do except this time I did not (my own fault )

2or 3 years my Canadian friends were having a jolly old time when they could buy a US dollar for 90 cents Canadian. Now times have changed. Goes both ways..

10 cents either way is not such a big deal 40 cents for us it a bit more to think about :D

Target corporate marketing for revenue enhancement goes on all the time. If O is noticing reduces sales from a certain demographic and must incentify that group to fill ships, it should be fine with all as long as they didn't overincentify one group to the detriment of another. In other words, causing a change from the normal demographics that have been seen in the past.

O's business is filling ships. If Americans were fine with the price and O needs to incentify Canadians to fill ships, it's no skin off my nose if I was happy to book at X price.

As an aside, I live in a border town and I have seen the currency wars to lure business across the border in each direction for my entire life.

We took a trip on Hapag/Lloyd which is in Euros. They publish a exchange rate in January that goes through the year so you may plan. When the Euro really took a dive the allowed US passengers to book based on the new rate. Very nice, they want US passengers as much as Oceania likes Canadians. Just treat them better.

This discussion is not about Canadians, British, Americans Austrians ,Germans, Argentines, Mexicans, or even Martians........

Its about how you plan and spend your recources...in this case money. Its about you planning for the future not thinking of the past present but the future, having learned from the past and present.

If where you live has a cloudy future and unstable past... Get educated in all the ways you have to become smarter. Its an insurance policy you creat and finance your self. Things going bad at home? Ask could I have seen this trian wreck coming? When things changed..why did they. When things began tochange did you sit back or pay attention.

Any one...any nationality, county state, region, dominion, kingdom or city

has the power to take control of their future. Dont cry...get going Dont fret..get eduicated. Dont stand in the street, watching a truck heading for you and say darn thats a big truck I hope it dosent hit me....I wonder what I could do to not get hit?.........Get out of the way!!! Do something !!!

Happy new year....

Along with your most 'impressive' resume including chef, medic, park ranger, and navy vet. we should now add financial genius? You are not talking to a pack of 'uneducated' imbeciles..

Along with your most 'impressive' resume including chef, medic, park ranger, and navy vet. we should now add financial genius? You are not talking to a pack of 'uneducated' imbeciles..

Lol. I do work in the financial industry and I just couldn't summon the strength to respond to it ;). Thank you !

sometimes you just have to use the ignore feature ;)