When the bottom falls out of your home currency...

Sopwith

Looking at SF - NY in September, which is priced in US$ according to the mailer received yesterday. With the C$ worth less than dirt these days, I'm wondering what the best strategy is. Book by Dec 31 to get the perks currently offered, or hold out for a better price or discount for Canadians closer to the date?

I know this is highly speculative, but I'd appreciate thoughts from those with experience.

Thx,

Merry Christmass everyone!

I would wait, myself. Or find a cruise line that's having promos for Canadians. It's tough. We have a cruise payment coming due in June, and I have my fingers firmly crossed. Wish I had somehow bought it in Canadian funds, sigh, but not many TA's do that now.

I'm interested in how your Uniworld Egypt cruise was. We have been trying to arrange something for Israel and Egypt for over ten years, but every time we get serious (even booked once) something blows up - literally.

I'm interested in how your Uniworld Egypt cruise was. We have been trying to arrange something for Israel and Egypt for over ten years, but every time we get serious (even booked once) something blows up - literally.

If you go to the river forum you can read about TravelCat's Uniworld cruise. I'm planning on booking this cruise based on her review (plus our experiences on 2 previous Uniworld cruises).

in Dec 2014 for Grand Voyage consisting of 2 segments, in may 2016.

I think it was this past Sept that both segments became part of the Canadian Promotion, but NOT the Grand Voyage.

I was able to switch the Grand Voyage to a B2B, and saved a ton of money, thanks to my wonderful TA.

The dollar has fallen way more since then, and I think if we hadn't been able to save so much through that promotion,we might have been cancelling, as much a it would have KILLED me!

I would think if you book now, and then a Canadian Promotion came up, you would be able to take advantage of it.

Certainly O knows that one US dollar is costing us $1.40 or so, I would think they will do their best to keep the promotions coming...

PS: we are paying for our cruise RIGHT NOW, when the dollar is at it's worst!

Edited by tropicalkerry2002

Looking at SF - NY in September, which is priced in US$ according to the mailer received yesterday. With the C$ worth less than dirt these days, I'm wondering what the best strategy is. Book by Dec 31 to get the perks currently offered, or hold out for a better price or discount for Canadians closer to the date?

Merry Christmass everyone!

Does Oceania take CAD ??

I use a US TA but I did get a discount for Canadians on our upcoming cruises .

It is a personal choice

I usually have USD stockpiled but ran out so had to pay the high exchange $1.40 last week

I was going to wait but since my FP is due in Jan I just bit the bullet & got some USD now

The dollar my go up or down but it was too stressful to wait & see :eek:

YMMV

in stocks and securities that are international inscope.....you identify a failing economy ( no comment) and hedge. Keeping all your eggs all working. in other economies if yours has shown danger signs.

This way you can buy now...let it work.. spend on strength...avoid on weakenss

Hey, Argentina 3 days ago took a 33% devaluation....

Follow what is the trend and who is suffering. Were I a Canadian orAustralian I would pump allI could off shore. The new political horizon would tell me that. With the new political "direction"in Canada I would get as much money out as possible It dosent look, to me promising

Nothing wrong with being wrong,( been there myself) plenty wrong with staying wrong......

Edited by Hawaiidan

A few days ago, someone mentioned a new version of O Life starting 1/1/16. Different emphases which may help you decide.

As tough as it is for our neighbors to the north (and elsewhere), we've endured crummy exchange rates all over the world for baby years. It's about time the USD$ got a break.

in stocks and securities that are international inscope.....you identify a failing economy ( no comment) and hedge. Keeping all your eggs all working. in other economies if yours has shown danger signs.

This way you can buy now...let it work.. spend on strength...avoid on weakenss

Hey, Argentina 3 days ago took a 33% devaluation....

Follow what is the trend and who is suffering. Were I a Canadian orAustralian I would pump allI could off shore. The new political horizon would tell me that. With the new political "direction"in Canada I would get as much money out as possible It dosent look, to me promising

Nothing wrong with being wrong,( been there myself) plenty wrong with staying wrong......

The issue with CAD is not politics but the price of oil. As oil drops so will the CAD. Hedge rate forward is almost 1.5 to USD so watch out for further drops.

A few days ago, someone mentioned a new version of O Life starting 1/1/16. Different emphases which may help you decide. It is still payable in USD

As tough as it is for our neighbors to the north (and elsewhere), we've endured crummy exchange rates all over the world for baby years. It's about time the USD$ got a break.

Let us know when you find a cruise line that is in CAD only

I know of 2 & they are not really Oceania quality

I think you are missing the point :rolleyes:

Not Canadian only but lots of cruiselines including Azamara take Canadian

At par???

We have booked other lines years ago but the exchange rate offered was higher than the banks rates for exchanging the CAD to USD

At par???

We have booked other lines years ago but the exchange rate offered was higher than the banks rates for exchanging the CAD to USD

I wish ;) most cruiselines right now have their prices set between 30 and 35% which is a bit of a break. It at least lets you lock in at a rate that won't change. I booked Princess last month at about 28%

I wish ;) most cruiselines right now have their prices set between 30 and 35% which is a bit of a break. It at least lets you lock in at a rate that won't change. I booked Princess last month at about 28%

Even at those rates of exchange it can still be a dilemma for some to book a cruise

We are still paying more of our disposable income in the end ;)

Edited by LHT28

The issue with CAD is not politics but the price of oil. As oil drops so will the CAD. Hedge rate forward is almost 1.5 to USD so watch out for further drops.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-12-24/dollar-to-strengthen-versus-all-major-peers-except-pound-loonie

This article gives some minor hope for the loonie in the first quarter, but if oil continues to drop and the fed signals another increase in 2016 who knows.

We booked one of the Canadian specials - 20% off the usual price. The email / linked page only gives some sample prices - for other cabins, take off 20%. Yes, I know our dollar has dropped more than that, but still reasonable.

I would hardly call the 20% reasonable when the CDN is at 1.40!!!

It's a nice gesture but it hardly makes a dent on the total & when one is traveling overseas you get hit with the Euro exchange. I, for one, am thinking of cancelling my Sirena cruise for and extended x-country trip.

My sympathies are with the Canadians here. When we toured Canada in 2013 the exchange rate was around $.91. Rather different from now.

And I know how you feel ... we've traveled in Europe when the euro was more than $1.40 and the British pound was more than $1.60. We're happy with today's rates, but we know they will change!

The question is when ...

Mura

Maura is right.

The We in the US have had and still have poor exchange rates of the Euro, and the British Pound. I don't think any of us expect hotels and restaurants in Europe and Britaian to lower their rates for us. Can't imagine why a cruise line would do that for Canadians or any one else. Currencies fluctuate sometimes in our favor and sometimes not.

We were in London in 2007 and the pound was $2.10, an all time high. We chalked it up to bad timing. A breakfast at Mariott County Hall showed up on our credit card billed at $150 plus. Marriott eventually removed the charge as we had booked a package inclusive of breakfast.

We talked to some Canadians recently and the situation is worrisome for sure.

Maura is right.

The We in the US have had and still have poor exchange rates of the Euro, and the British Pound. I don't think any of us expect hotels and restaurants in Europe and Britaian to lower their rates for us. Can't imagine why a cruise line would do that for Canadians or any one else. Currencies fluctuate sometimes in our favor and sometimes not.

LOL. Cruise lines have been doing it for years and will continue to do it. The mainstream lines aren't offering Canadian bookings at the true XE rate. It's set. Most are in the 25-35% rate right now. Most lines other than a select handful (Oceania being one) sell their cruises in Canadian Dollars and it's not equal to what the price is in US.

I would hardly call the 20% reasonable when the CDN is at 1.40!!!

It's a nice gesture but it hardly makes a dent on the total & when one is traveling overseas you get hit with the Euro exchange. I, for one, am thinking of cancelling my Sirena cruise for and extended x-country trip.

You were not complaining a few years ago when the rate was about 40 to 50% less. Most of the Canadians were laughing at us then and now it is our turn. You should have bought those U.S. Dollars back then.. Wait a few years and in might change again. :):):)