Cruise with toddler or wait?

MMW37

DH and I have been on 3 cruises pre-kids, and none since our first was born. Our boys are now 4 and 8 months. We have the budget to cruise every year or two, so we're wondering when to start cruising again. My vacation time is all spoken for in 2016, but we were considering looking for one in early 2017 when the boys will be 5 and almost 2. Should we go for it, or wait until the baby is potty trained? I know many people do cruise with littles, just wondering how it will go if he can't use the pool. Thanks!

We took my just-turned two grandson on a cruise. We were on a Disney ship which had an area where non-potty trained youngsters could play in the water. I believe a number of the RCI ships have a similar water area.

He had a great time and still remembers parts of the cruise three years later.

DH and I have been on 3 cruises pre-kids, and none since our first was born. Our boys are now 4 and 8 months. We have the budget to cruise every year or two, so we're wondering when to start cruising again. My vacation time is all spoken for in 2016, but we were considering looking for one in early 2017 when the boys will be 5 and almost 2. Should we go for it, or wait until the baby is potty trained? I know many people do cruise with littles, just wondering how it will go if he can't use the pool. Thanks!

Live and enjoy life...no need to wait.

It's just so different planning things for a family! When we were younger we chose Carnival for both budget and the nightlife, and paid zero attention to children unless they were interrupting our activities. I guess I'm curious about people's experiences cruising with 1 and 2 year olds - how the kids handled it, and how much toddler wrangling impacts parents' cruise enjoyment. I'm guessing there are no relaxing afternoons by the pool with a book and an umbrella drink, for example. If you've done it, would you do it again, or hold off and pick a land vacation instead?

If it was me I'd wait till they're toilet trained, many things on ships are limited before then. (most kids clubs won't change them, or so I've been told, and they can't use most pools).

However mine were certainly trained by that age.

Also think of nap time. Will it be in your cabin or a stroller your pushing around on deck? I have seen sleeping kids asleep in dad's arms at midnight. What are your kids like when they have been up way past bedtime?

What about bed time? Will you give up things at night because of their bedtime?

I know Carnival offers babysitting, a slumber party, until 3am for a fee but kids have to be old enough to go to the kids things during the day. Disney may have babysitting at a younger age and some ships may have babysitting, for a fee, in your cabin.

Ask about babysitting here, which ships, where and cost. A two year old won't remember much about their cruise.

Edited by Bonnie J.

If I plan a family vacation I want to spend time with my family, so we wouldn't use a sitter outside of maybe one night for a no kids allowed restaurant. We'd definitely spring for a balcony so we'd have a place to relax at night after they're asleep, and we're okay missing out on shows if need be. I'm also considering Disney since their programming is more kid-friendly at night.

Our older boy is pretty adaptable - we've dragged him a lot of places already - and the baby has been so far but no guarantees as he gets older. I'd love to have him toilet trained before 2, but I think 3 is more likely given his brother's history. I think RC and Disney are the only lines with a splash area for swim diapers - is that right? I'm a little nervous about ports too, and whether or not to deal with a carseat. We'd probably have to stick to ports that don't require much travel.

My other vacation idea for 2017 is to do an all-inclusive somewhere like Mexico or the DR. We've never been to one of those, but it eliminates the potty issue. Maybe we'll just price out a few different ideas - this is at least a year away, so I don't need to decide now, but opinions are very welcom!

I disagree that DCL is more kid-friendly at night (or any other time). Their kids clubs are chaotic. My kids prefer Royal Caribbean, Princess and HAL over Disney.

With little ones, a cruise is not much different than a land vacation. You still have to deal with diapers, naps, snacks, early bedtimes etc.

I think you know the answer. You are on a budget so that probably rules out Disney. Make a list of the pros and cons and compare to a more toddler friendly vacation at a resort to which you can drive and the children are free. Or even a mini vacation at a hotel near grandma.

You've been on cruises so think of all you are paying for and will not be able to enjoy. Your little one will not remember a thing so you are better off leaving child with a relative and saving the money. Do you really want to spend hours in your cabin while child naps/sleeps. If you go to show you will have to go by yourself.

Personally I would delay the cruise for a year or two and save the money until your children are old enough to remember and enjoy cruise. I would wait until child is toilet trained and eligible for the kids club.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Only you can decide the answer to this question. I would suggest checking in on the Family Cruising Board for some more answers. The thing that I would ask myself is it worth the extra effort required to haul all of the extra supplies needed for a child who is not yet potty trained. (Remember that you have to take everything you might need, there is no where on the ship to buy it after you sail. You can possibly resupply in port.) The second question, and you asked it yourself, is how is he going to react to being left out of certain activities. I think if it were us, we would wait another year, but you are teh one that has to decide.

Take them! If you go to Cruise Critic's Family Forum you will get lots of helpful ideas and can post questions there for even more specific help.

Here's the link to the Family Cruise forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Edited by NMLady

You'll want to be sure you are comfortable with the ship's pediatrician.

What cruise line provides a pediatrician?? There is only one Dr on board, and I doubt very much that it's a pediatrician ship's usually hire ER Doctors or General Practitioners.

What cruise line provides a pediatrician?? There is only one Dr on board, and I doubt very much that it's a pediatrician ship's usually hire ER Doctors or General Practitioners.

Wait.

What?

Well then. taking a 4month old would be ......... dangerous.

I'm in the medical field myself so not too worried about that. I'm totally comfortable with a GP or ER doc, their training does include pediatrics. I guess I forgot there was a family forum, I'll look there too, thanks! Leaving our kids with family isn't an option. They don't live nearby and have never offered to babysit even overnight. Off to go check out the family board