Princess soda only card replaced with a non-alcholic card

geri

Princess has eliminated the "soda only" sticker and now only has the more expensive "non-alcoholic drink" sticker. If you are not a big drinker of juices and mock-tails or if you are a diabetic you will not find it of value. FYI....Princess does allow you to bring on personal bottles of soda.

Princess has eliminated the "soda only" sticker and now only has the more expensive "non-alcoholic drink" sticker. If you are not a big drinker of juices and mock-tails or if you are a diabetic you will not find it of value. FYI....Princess does allow you to bring on personal bottles of soda.

Lots of threads already on this.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2289868&highlight=soda+package

One can bring as much soda as you want. Who told you you can't?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Let's be clear here--Princess does not offer a "non-alcoholic beverage package." They offer a "Soda and More" package which is very specific in what is included. It is NOT all non-alcoholic beverages. For instance, bottled water, fresh orange juice, premium coffee and tea, etc. are not included.

The Soda and More package includes sodas (fountain service), cans of root beer, mocktails, and shakes on ships that have an ice cream outlet. It is currently listed as $8.05 US, which is about the same as a plan that includes soda only on some other lines.

I don't drink mocktails, shakes, etc. so I won't buy the "Soda & More." I've gotten the soda sticker in the past for convenience but will now just pay individually for sodas. Probably cheaper.

I don't drink much soda & would have to purchase 3 cans per day to be ahead of the game with the eliminated soda sticker. Plus the fountain soda from a multiple type of soda gun never tastes the same as from a can or bottle. And the soda package is paid for each day during the cruise even when in port all day.

Even if the "Soda & More" was cost-effective for me, the caloric intake from sodas, mocktails & shakes would be better used by enjoying tasty food. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I got it just for the quality hot chocolate. They have some great juice mocktails. Two hot chocolate and a mocktail use most of the daily cost

27926-profile.png

my-cruise-countdown.aspx?dat=01%2F11%2F2016&dest=M&ship=ISMy Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to Mexico on 01/11/2016 aboard the Carnival Inspiration! Visit Carnival.com to see all Mexico cruises

I cruise for Creme brulee, chocolate melting cake and lobster!

I had the soda only card and i kept getting mocktails, hot chocolate and other things for free. When questioning it, staff said no - it was included in my card.

i was very confused

maybe staff cant tell the difference in the stickers and this makes it easier (i know after a week, the coke logo pretty much disappeared)

I don't drink mocktails, shakes, etc. so I won't buy the "Soda & More." I've gotten the soda sticker in the past for convenience but will now just pay individually for sodas. Probably cheaper.

I would say definitely cheaper. For the cost of the card you can buy (almost) three canned sodas per day which nets you more than six glasses' worth of gun soda which are half the size of a can even before the ample addition of ice.

My guess is that the elimination of the basic soda sticker was due to so few sodas being sold individually that the effort and expense of having to ring them up could not be justified--on my last two Princess cruises, more than once I clearly displayed my stickerless card and asked for a can of diet Coke, only to be handed a glass of the gun version and not charged. So Princess is now forcing the issue to sell more sodas a la carte.

(I will also add that I remember asking a few cruises ago: gun sodas could be bought singly for $1.75 while cans were $1.95. But last year on Ruby cans had gone up to $2.00 [at that time just, many bar menus still had cans at $1.95] but gun sodas were not available for single purchase, at least according to the bartender I asked)

Even if the "Soda & More" was cost-effective for me, the caloric intake from sodas, mocktails & shakes would be better used by enjoying tasty food. ;)
Exactly. Mocktails and shakes don't appeal to me, thank goodness, but if they did, those are empty calories. I've never gained weight on a cruise, even my recent 14-day Pacific Princess cruise where I had breakfast in Sabatini's almost every day. As a matter of fact, a week after disembarking, I'm 3-lb less than embarkation day. :)

Maybe I'll just bring my insulated Princess beverage bottle and fill it with ice and water and spritz some Mio in it. They've lost me as a beverage package buyer.

Let's be clear here--Princess does not offer a "non-alcoholic beverage package." They offer a "Soda and More" package which is very specific in what is included. It is NOT all non-alcoholic beverages. For instance' date=' bottled water, fresh orange juice, premium coffee and tea, etc. are not included.

The Soda and More package includes sodas (fountain service), cans of root beer, mocktails, and shakes on ships that have an ice cream outlet. It is currently listed as $8.05 US, which is about the same as a plan that includes soda only on some other lines.[/quote']

add hot chocolate as i went to use my coffee card and they said no use your soda and more sticker so i did

add hot chocolate as i went to use my coffee card and they said no use your soda and more sticker so i did

That is odd - we used our coffee card all the time for hot chocolate (previously). I guess they are changing the rules....

Edited by Coral

There seem to be multiple threads on the issue. As I mentioned on one of them.

I can't do sugar in quantity So I'm not going to drink the juice, mocktails, or hot chocolate. I really don't want to pay for what I can't have. And considering my options, while I feel include ordering what I can't have and dumping down the drain so they don't make any money on the extra dollars they are forcing me to pay for something I can't have.

If they were going to combine things, I would be interested in a sticker that combines coffee and soda card, or the previously mentioned "non-alcohol drink" card -- neither of which exist at this time...

I can't do sugar in quantity So I'm not going to drink the juice, mocktails, or hot chocolate. I really don't want to pay for what I can't have. And considering my options, while I feel include ordering what I can't have and dumping down the drain so they don't make any money on the extra dollars they are forcing me to pay for something I can't have.

No one is forcing you to pay for something you can't consume. You have the option of bringing on board cans or bottles of your "beverage of choice", purchasing it on board by the single serving, or purchasing a package. I would guess that for most people each package includes some things that they enjoy and some things that they can't or don't choose to drink. Each person can decide on their own what is the most convenient and cost effective for them.

I was pleasantly surprised at the cost of the soda only AND the soda and more packages on Princess. On Celebrity, soda alone is $8 per day. And honestly, I debated between the soda vs. soda and more for my daughter. My logic was that one "more" thing per day made up the difference in cost, so bought it. Wouldn't you know that was the week she decided to not drink calories. Oh well....she drank enough diet coke to justify a package.

If the package isn't cost effective for you, just buy a la carte. That seems like pretty simple math.

I pre-purchased the soda package as I drink a lot of club soda. It still shows as purchased in the personalizer, but I do see that the package is no longer showing as available on our cruise - so what will they do with mine? Cancel? Honor?

I pre-purchased the soda package as I drink a lot of club soda. It still shows as purchased in the personalizer, but I do see that the package is no longer showing as available on our cruise - so what will they do with mine? Cancel? Honor?

Others have posted that they were fine when they pre-purchased it. I think you will be fine.

I was wondering the same thing. We pre-purchased it for our February cruise and after reading this thread, I checked in the personalizer and the soda-only package is not longer listed as an option. I assume they will honor the packages that were pre-purchased, although I can see it causing confusion onboard.

I was wondering the same thing. We pre-purchased it for our February cruise and after reading this thread, I checked in the personalizer and the soda-only package is not longer listed as an option. I assume they will honor the packages that were pre-purchased, although I can see it causing confusion onboard.

If not maybe they will just upgrade you to the "and more" package. :)