New to Neptune?

SabreSailor

KK and Kazu......

I'm curious,

Do the addition of Bose System or mimosa mean much to you?

Bose system is a plus as I can bring my Ipod and hear music.

Mimosas at room service? too early for me. Maybe later in the PG but not for room service so that is not too exciting. For us, anyways.

You assumed and probably knew before hand that you would be invited to them.

We have not always been invited to the VIP parties even though we were have been in either the PS or an SA suite and were high number day cruisers.

You have mentioned that before and I never could understand it. I cannot fathom and there is no accounting for it. DH would have been very disappointed to be left out but thankfully, that didn't happen with regards to that party.

You have mentioned that before and I never could understand it. I cannot fathom and there is no accounting for it. DH would have been very disappointed to be left out but thankfully, that didn't happen with regards to that party.

We were very disappointed and thus we now have a couple of captains we no longer care for. And we did let HAL know about this -- HAL could have cared less.

Captains we do like we never seem to see again on the ships we sail on -- lots of new captains for us the last 3 - 4 years.

Oh well -- only one more cruise to do on HAL.

We are just off the Oosterdam, and there was no Suite lunch, which was many times held in the Pinnacle. The concierge told us the lunch is now only held on cruises over 14 nights.

There was no Suite Lunch during our 14 day Noordam cruise,(October/November) I checked with the concierge, and was told Suite Lunch only on cruises more than 14 days.

At the welcome aboard party in the Neptune Lounge on the evening of boarding day, there were no officers, only both concierges and stewards offering drinks and "finger "food. There were only a few passengers in the Lounge when we looked in, and promptly left.

There was no Suite Lunch during our 14 day Noordam cruise,(October/November) I checked with the concierge, and was told Suite Lunch only on cruises more than 14 days.

At the welcome aboard party in the Neptune Lounge on the evening of boarding day, there were no officers, only both concierges and stewards offering drinks and "finger "food. There were only a few passengers in the Lounge when we looked in, and promptly left.

That's too bad about the suite luncheon. With it only being offered on cruises of over 14 days, it means it won't be offered on many cruises.!

That's too bad about the suite luncheon. With it only being offered on cruises of over 14 days, it means it won't be offered on many cruises.!

Just more cut backs.

Very sad.

Somes it seems as if the only thing consistent, is inconsistency :)

We were disappointed with the welcome aboard cocktail party on our recent cruise, as well. In fact we didn't see it advertised anywhere, we asked about it because we knew it should have been the first night, but if we were new to HAL or Neptune suites, we wouldnt have known at all. It was very poorly attended, and as others have said there were no officers. We stopped in but didn't stay. We talked to others during the week who also felt let down by the change in experience.

There was no invitations in our cabin either for the Suite Welcome Aboard cocktail party.

We stopped by the Neptune and the concierges told us about it. They mentioned that invitations would no longer be sent out.

Only about 16 of us were there -- 7:15 - 8 and several left after a few minutes.

No officers or anyone else.

There was no invitations in our cabin either for the Suite Welcome Aboard cocktail party.

We stopped by the Neptune and the concierges told us about it. They mentioned that invitations would no longer be sent out.

Only about 16 of us were there -- 7:15 - 8 and several left after a few minutes.

No officers or anyone else.

Last time the information for the Welcome on board Party was printed on the letter you get with all the info for Neptune Lounge hours, PG, etc.

This seems to be the new approach and actually makes sense as a person can be overwhelmed with all the stuff that is there on day 1.

Last time the information for the Welcome on board Party was printed on the letter you get with all the info for Neptune Lounge hours, PG, etc.

This seems to be the new approach and actually makes sense as a person can be overwhelmed with all the stuff that is there on day 1.

It seems that most people did not read the ENTIRE single spaced, fairly small type of the letter we got, as only about 8-10 people showed up for the Suite Party. If I had not read about this on CC, I would have missed it as well.

With such a poor turnout (which wasted bottles and bottles of champagne and wine due to being poured ahead of time and the basically idle 4 servers in attendance), HAL should discontinue this party IMO.

Either do it right, or else do not bother IMO.

Sounds like you're serving a sentence. Surely you're not being forced to endure another cruise, are you? I mean, it's a voluntary thing, right?

DH was very upset with many things on our Eurodam cruise in October.

This was the first time he sat in front of the computer (he hates computers) and filled out the survey -- spent 1/2 hour typing.

He wanted to cancel our next cruise not only because of everything that upset him but because I was in bad health when we got home. I have since talked him into doing the only cruise we have left booked on HAL. As to future cruising -- my health is going downhill quite rapidly and I doubt if I can cruise any more.

I had a very bad summer and it was I who wanted to cancel the Eurodam cruise and it was my DH who talked me into going and he ended up being very disappointed -- not me.

On all our cruises up to and including the Zuiderdam cruises last spring, we always got a separate Invitation card for the Suite Welcome Aboard Party. It was not written on any paperwork.

We sailed in a NS in September on Westerdam. there was a suite reception first evening. Unfortunately we didn't know about it until it was over. No invitation when we boarded- was mentioned on the "welcome aboard" letter on the desk.

We were told no officers attended, just the Concierges. Glasses of bubbly or wine was it. Snacks basically what is in NL every evening.

Didn't appear to be a VIP party (we weren't invited to one and usually were) and no special events for suites that we were invited to.

Didn't see much of any officers around the ship the entire week.

On all our cruises up to and including the Zuiderdam cruises last spring, we always got a separate Invitation card for the Suite Welcome Aboard Party. It was not written on any paperwork.

Thats how ours have been in the past as well (even our May, 2015 cruise). Now things have definitely changed for the worse IMO.

He wanted to cancel our next cruise not only because of everything that upset him but because I was in bad health when we got home. I have since talked him into doing the only cruise we have left booked on HAL. As to future cruising -- my health is going downhill quite rapidly and I doubt if I can cruise any more.

I had a very bad summer and it was I who wanted to cancel the Eurodam cruise and it was my DH who talked me into going and he ended up being very disappointed -- not me.

Apologies for the thread drift...

I'm very sorry to hear that you've been suffering with ill health, KK. I hope there is improvement and you can continue to cruise. If not, well, I hope the good memories of past cruises will sustain you. Take care, and may 2016 be a good year for you, healthwise.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've been suffering with ill health, KK. I hope there is improvement and you can continue to cruise. If not, well, I hope the good memories of past cruises will sustain you. Take care, and may 2016 be a good year for you, healthwise.

I, too, am sorry to hear you have been suffering ill health and hope you experience some good recovery. All best wishes to you and your DH for 2016.

I, too, am sorry to hear you have been suffering ill health and hope you experience some good recovery. All best wishes to you and your DH for 2016.

Thank you

The Golden years seem to have passed us by.

Just more cut backs.

Very sad.

I have thought about all that I have described here and truly credited to cut backs and have changed my mind. I don't think that accurately states what HAL has been doing on the ships. I think they are close to totally remaking the product. The things we call cut backs and miss, they no longer value. They are interested in a very different product. As not only the long time cruisers age and stop cruising, their old time Hotel MANAGERS, CAPTAINS, MAITRE d's, CHIEF OFFICERS etc as well as bar staff, cabin and dining stewards and crew/staff in general are aging and retiring.

This seems to suit HAL just fine and I think I understand it.

The cruises have changed but mostly because the CRUISERS have changed. What their vast majority wanted and enjoyed is no longer what they want now.

If my DH had not passed away, I doubt I would have recognized it but I am now among those that no longer want some of those former way of doing things.

Of course, doing away with cocktail parties saves money and money is always the driving factor of all cruise line decisions but I think it is more than that.

They do not want the same Officer/guest interaction. The stewards are too short handed to have time to chat and be friendly with guests in the way we always enjoyed. We truly got to know many of them. We spend time ashore with many. We had friendships in whatever way you wish to define friends.

HAL has moved along as has the wants and needs of society in general.

It is a very different world we live in today than it was when DH and I started cruising.

Recessions, stock market crashes, wars, violence and terrorism, unemployment, Me, me, me values of some in the new generation, casual dress and the evolution of our culture have directed much of the change. HAL is responding.

JMO..

I do want to add I don't think it all bad. Some of it really does suit me fine. :)

I also want to mention I made those Officer titles Capital Letters as what was the need to change those long respected titles? There seemed to be another message in doing so.

[

Edited by sail7seas

It seems that most people did not read the ENTIRE single spaced, fairly small type of the letter we got, as only about 8-10 people showed up for the Suite Party. If I had not read about this on CC, I would have missed it as well.

With such a poor turnout (which wasted bottles and bottles of champagne and wine due to being poured ahead of time and the basically idle 4 servers in attendance), HAL should discontinue this party IMO.

The poor turnout is because the invitation was well hidden and many were not aware there was a party. That Cocktail Party used to be packed every single cruise. I know the dozens we attended were shoulder to shoulder and we truly enjoyed them. DH had a special shirt he always made sure I packed that he could wear. (It had a lot to do with Boston Red Sox :)). We met and made many friends at those parties. Don't feel bad HAL wasted bottles of cheap wine. It was their goal. When you take away the Captain, the Hotel Director, the Exec Chef, CD, the GRM etc who always attended, you don't issue a separate invitation as they always did in the past, it is clear you want to phase out the reception.

Edited by sail7seas

If all that was wasted was the lovely Pol Clement, is that so bad? :p.

I have thought about all that I have described here and truly credited to cut backs and have changed my mind. I don't think that accurately states what HAL has been doing on the ships. I think they are close to totally remaking the product. The things we call cut backs and miss, they no longer value. They are interested in a very different product. As not only the long time cruisers age and stop cruising, their old time Hotel MANAGERS, CAPTAINS, MAITRE d's, CHIEF OFFICERS etc as well as bar staff, cabin and dining stewards and crew/staff in general are aging and retiring.

This seems to suit HAL just fine and I think I understand it.

The cruises have changed but mostly because the CRUISERS have changed. What their vast majority wanted and enjoyed is no longer what they want now.

If my DH had not passed away, I doubt I would have recognized it but I am now among those that no longer want some of those former way of doing things.

Of course, doing away with cocktail parties saves money and money is always the driving factor of all cruise line decisions but I think it is more than that.

They do not want the same Officer/guest interaction. The stewards are too short handed to have time to chat and be friendly with guests in the way we always enjoyed. We truly got to know many of them. We spend time ashore with many. We had friendships in whatever way you wish to define friends.

HAL has moved along as has the wants and needs of society in general.

It is a very different world we live in today than it was when DH and I started cruising.

Recessions, stock market crashes, wars, violence and terrorism, unemployment, Me, me, me values of some in the new generation, casual dress and the evolution of our culture have directed much of the change. HAL is responding.

JMO..

I do want to add I don't think it all bad. Some of it really does suit me fine. :)

I also want to mention I made those Officer titles Capital Letters as what was the need to change those long respected titles? There seemed to be another message in doing so.

[

I am aware that times are changing and all cruise lines are trying to attract a new breed of cruisers.

But HAL's inconsistencies are getting worse. I found out after the cruise that the second week there was an awards ceremony and once again -- something we were not invited to. From what I understand we were the 3rd highest day sailors.

You're right. I had that exact conversation with Mariners Society and I was told every high Mariner is to be invited to every Mariner event while on board. Sure, if they have to break the brunch into two sessions because there are so many Mariners on board, you'd only go to one but you would go to one for every cruise you are aboard. They were very firm about that.

If that happened to me and I wanted to go to the Reception, if Concierge/Front Office did not straighten it out, I would have e-mailed immediately to Mariners Society. I am somewhat confident they would have had it handled.

Of course, you mentioned you found out after the event but you likely knew there would be a Mariners Reception the following cruise if you had one the first cruise. When the end of cruise neared, you knew it would be a sea day, so if you cared, you could have inquired.

It should not have happened to you or anyone.

Edited by sail7seas