Drinks

Nymomof2

Taking our first cruise. Wondering if it's worth the unlimited drink package. It covers drinks up to $10? How much is a decent class of wine or Bloody Mary! .? Thanks for any help

It really comes down to doing the sums, what/how much you drink.

Also hat you call a decent class of wine.

Basically they start at about $8 a glass.

Not sure about the price if a BM but pretty sure they were getting them on their package last month.

Taking our first cruise. Wondering if it's worth the unlimited drink package. It covers drinks up to $10? How much is a decent class of wine or Bloody Mary! .? Thanks for any help

Here you go. Add approx $1 to each drink as prices have increased since this spreadsheet was prepared.

Princess Beverage Package Evaluator rev0 posted 5-7-2014.xls

Take the price of the drink package for your rntire cruise and divide it by the number of days in your cruise. Divide the result by ten and you will get the minimum drinks per day you will have to consume to break even. Can you do thst?

Take the price of the drink package for your rntire cruise and divide it by the number of days in your cruise. Divide the result by ten and you will get the minimum drinks per day you will have to consume to break even. Can you do thst?
Keep in mind that this is the average per day. If you are in port at all, you should account for those days when you won't drink the minimum.

Also, take into consideration that for just over $8/day, you can get the "Soda & More" sticker which can be used for sodas, mocktails (such as a Virgin Mary), shakes, juice, etc. And for about $35 for the whole cruise, you can get unlimited brewed coffee and fifteen specialty drinks.

Being unlimited, you might end up just counting your drinks instead of enjoying it!

To answer you question, you can find decent wine and Bloody Mary's for under $10. The package is worth it for my DH and I, even on port days. Just a reminder...this is all your bottled water, specialty coffee and tea as well as alcoholic drinks. Throughout the day, when we order a drink, we also order a bottle of water. I have actually started drinking more water now than when I used to bring my own refillable water bottle. The package is not for everyone but certainly works for us.

We just had the package on our 12 day Med cruise last month.

It was a free promo when we booked.

It was a good way for us to see if it would be a wise choice for future cruises.

We decided that there was no way we could use the package enough to justify purchasing it on future cruises. If we get it for a promo thats great.

<Taking our first cruise. Wondering if it's worth the unlimited drink package. It covers drinks up to $10? How much is a decent class of wine or Bloody Mary! .? Thanks for any help>

We decided not to take the drinks packages as we are not heavy drinkers. I have seen it worked out that to get your moneys worth you need to drink seven drinks a day if you are on an American ship and nine drinks a day if on a British ship.

To answer you question, you can find decent wine and Bloody Mary's for under $10. The package is worth it for my DH and I, even on port days. Just a reminder...this is all your bottled water, specialty coffee and tea as well as alcoholic drinks. Throughout the day, when we order a drink, we also order a bottle of water. I have actually started drinking more water now than when I used to bring my own refillable water bottle. The package is not for everyone but certainly works for us.

They charge for bottled water!! We drink alot of water

We decided not to take the drinks packages as we are not heavy drinkers. I have seen it worked out that to get your moneys worth you need to drink seven drinks a day if you are on an American ship and nine drinks a day if on a British ship.

I question these calculations. The typical alcoholic beverage with automatic gratuity is about $9. The package is $56 (grat included). OK, so if ALL you drink is alcohol, that's the 7 drinks. But this package also includes bottled water, soda, specialty coffee and tea, fresh squeezed OJ, shakes, hot chocolate, etc.

It would not be a good value for me, but it does include a lot more than just mixed drinks.

I'm at LEAST a moderate drinker and just came off a 2-week Med cruise this past summer. It was easily more cost-efficient to purchase my drinks one at a time. If, on the other hand, you want or need at least 6 cocktails daily -- and that's every day -- then this is for you (and good luck w/your AA meetings).

Edited by Chunder Worthy

Everyone is different. The package costs $112 for two people which is far less than what you tip. For us the $112 is not something to be worried about. We each make our own decisions for what we want.:):)

Good point Husky61. However, we are on the Sapphire Princess out of Singapore next week for 15 days and the drinks package costs 50 US Dollars per person per day.

Happy New Year.

Patrick

Good point Husky61. However, we are on the Sapphire Princess out of Singapore next week for 15 days and the drinks package costs 50 US Dollars per person per day.

Happy New Year.

Patrick

I am wondering if that isn't a typo? $50 a day would be $750 for the 15 day cruise for one person. Now that is excessive!:eek:

This is a no brainer for me. Cut our on board account by 40%. Everyone that I meet on a cruise have the same package and think it's a steal.

To each his own. No judging either way.

And none of us need to go to AA!

Thanks for everyones help. Since it covers bottled water too I will definately get the drink package. I am on vacation with no kids so I want to enjoy myself

I don't need AA BTW :)

If you get the unlimited, it will cover most of the labeled spirits, specialty and brewed coffee at the international cafe, soda and bottled water. On our cruise in 2014, we grabbed a bottle of water every time we passed a bar, as well as on our way into port. Unlike Royal, it covered both the large AND small bottles. My husband and I stopped at The wine bar every night on our way to the main dining room, and there were only one or two wines over the $10 mark. I like my wine, and I never had a problem finding a good option. For us, it was an excellent decision, and I think we got our monies worth.

Edited by lnuzzo