Drying clothes on balconies

Someone asked a question on a Facebook cruise page about using a pegless clothes on a balcony. Someone posted you are not alowed to hang clothes on balconies and someone else asked them to post the policy. I don't think there is anything online. I'm sure I've read in the cruise compass on RCI and Celebrity not to hang clothes on balconies due to environmental reasons.

Edited by cruisine21

I have read that clothes should not be hung on balconies and left unattended. I believe the cruiseline is concerned that clothes could blow overboard and they are committed to not putting anything over the side of the ship into the ocean.

I could say that while a ship is in port it is 'visually polluting' to have washing hanging on the balconies. At one port there was a clearly visible balcony where someone had their very large-size undies hung out for all to see.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I have been known to wash our clothes and put them out on the balcony to dry but to be honest they dry just as easily in the bathroom.

On the balcony they get the salt air.

When we were on our last Transpacific, one of the girls told me she hung her underwear in her wardrobe and they dried perfectly. I thought that was a bit bizarre but as I don't like underwear going to the general laundry, I tried it. Wow, it really works - it dries faster and doesn't have a damp feel and better still, no-one sees it.

The other hint I got was to put your clothes on a coat hanger and hand this from the air conditioning duct on the roof.

Might try the wardrobe thing.

The cabin stewards must walk into cabins at times and think "oh my.... It's the washing woman's day.......clothes every where to dry"

Peg it to coat hangers brought from home and hang it around the perimeter of the room and prop open balcony door open for air flow. Dries super quick. I don't trust industrial dryers on my clothes so this is how we dry. Get about 6 pairs of undergarments pegged to 1 hanger.

not very nice to leave open the balcony door as it affects other peoples cabin

The other hint I got was to put your clothes on a coat hanger and hand this from the air conditioning duct on the roof.

The cabin stewards must walk into cabins at times and think "oh my.... It's the washing woman's day.......clothes every where to dry"

Mrs Guts done both and worked fine.

But many ships the air con vent won't take a hanger the holes are too small.

We hang our laundry in the bathroom after we shower at night. Virtually everything dries overnight.:) If something isn't dry, we put it away in the morning so the steward doesn't have to work around our damp laundry and then hang it out again after the room has been serviced in the morning.

Mrs Guts done both and worked fine.

But many ships the air con vent won't take a hanger the holes are too small.

There are stickers on the ceiling of some ships telling you not to do this. I would hate for the cruise line to see what you are doing, perhaps they might kick people off for potentially damaging their ship.

As for clothing on balcony to dry the rules are pretty standard that you are not to leave clothes unattended for obvious reasons.

There are stickers on the ceiling of some ships telling you not to do this. I would hate for the cruise line to see what you are doing, perhaps they might kick people off for potentially damaging their ship.

As for clothing on balcony to dry the rules are pretty standard that you are not to leave clothes unattended for obvious reasons.

I read on the Princess section of this Board that a young woman hung her shirt on the fire sprinkler nozzle in her cabin. When her mother tried to remove it (carefully) it set off the sprinkler, drenching everything in the cabin. As you mention, they could have been charged the cost of carpet replacement etc. etc. :)

I use the laundry service.

So do we, gratis, love that black card on Princess. But I must confess we do wash our 'unmentionables' in the cabin bathroom and string it up in ye olde shower cubicle, hoping the cabin steward does not strangle himself/her self on the said 'undergarments.' LOL.

Edited by NSWP

In my view drying thy unmentionables on thy balcony makes the ship look like a Hong Kong Sam Pan

Hearty chuckle .....

I've hung clothes on the balcony on one cruise, but only when at sea, but I can understand the reasons for not doing so. Last cruise I hung a small number of items overnight along a line strung between the balcony door and an anchor point next to the bathroom. Everything dry the next morning. There are some things I just won't put in a clothes dryer.

I admit to hanging my smalls up on the balcony to dry one cruise, but I used one of those mobile type things with all the pegs hanging off it, and clipped it to the back of the chair so you couldn't see it from the other side of the balcony. Last cruise I used out discounted laundry voucher for being Select level, $20 for everything I could cram in the bag was a bargain lol

Can't remember which ship but there were signs stating not to hang clothing on balconies due to them blowing overboard and blocking water intake ducts, thrusters etc.

Notices like that are on all ships I have been on. You know what they say about fools not being able to be taught logic.

Cords people tie up are another problem for the cruise line because the friction and movement scrapes away the paint resulting in exposure and rust forming costing the cruise line more in maintenance. People clearly do not think and do not take any notice of the rules.

• 1 month later...
Its ok to do,they are just abit hard to retreive when they blow off.A long swim to colect them then a long swim back,then you have to start drying them again.Probably would be wiser to use the dryers for $2.00

Quite right...and if you hang them out while the ship is underway , they get covered with salt spray....and its the salt that shrinks your clothes.

Thats why they dont fit you at the end of the cruise.:D:D

We just got off our cruise and hung clothes on the balcony! Just took it down when the cabin stewards came to clean it. We used a travel line and it worked perfectly. Just suctioned it to the balcony and the door. ef51c1a7f1ee115acb6a7d149c8cbc19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Surely one would only need to wash socks and other 'smalls' in the cabin. They dry off quickly when clipped onto a hangar or you can use the clothes line in the bathroom overnight.

Celebrity Solstice doesn't have a clothes line in the bathroom, just two knobs high up in the shower, too close together to even dry swimwear effectively.

We had a bed by bathroom configuration so were able to string a travel clothes line across the balcony end of the cabin overnight and everything, including DH's cotton jockeys, were dry by morning.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Going out on a tender boat from the radiance of the seas I noted that it was washing day for those in balcony cabins....

Quiet a sight to see a beautiful boat out at sea in New Caledonia with everyone's undies on show.......

Why is this not the image on their brochures?