Which cruise line preferred for Caribbean cruise?

1stcruz4us

My husband and I have only been on one cruise. We sailed on the Norwegian Dawn and loved everything about it. The ship size was fine, entertainment good. It wasn't too crowded. We enjoyed the flexible dining and thought the food was excellent. We researched and planned our own excursions at each destination to save money. We are looking at another cruise and our options are MSC Divina, Holland America Veendam or Carnival Glory. What are the good and bad things about these lines. How do they compare to Norwegian.

All of the mainstream cruiselines have some form of anytime dining.

There are certain generalizations about the various lines: MSC is more European-style and the Divina has been getting excellent reviews and seems to be a great value at the moment (terrific pricing!). HAL is more traditional/classic and tends to attract a more senior crowd; same for Celebrity.

Have you looked at Royal Caribbean for great entertainment and lots of activities? You don't have to choose their giant ships. Voyager class or Radiance class ships still have plenty of amenities.

My husband and I have only been on one cruise. We sailed on the Norwegian Dawn and loved everything about it. The ship size was fine, entertainment good. It wasn't too crowded. We enjoyed the flexible dining and thought the food was excellent. We researched and planned our own excursions at each destination to save money. We are looking at another cruise and our options are MSC Divina, Holland America Veendam or Carnival Glory. What are the good and bad things about these lines. How do they compare to Norwegian.

I think pretty much everything is better than NCL so my view might be a little different than yours. But of those 3, I would pick the Divina. I cruised the Divina and it was amazing. The entertainment was excellent and the ship was beautiful.

The Veendam is a very sleepy ship that shuts down early. HAL entertainment sucks.

The Glory is ok, but I think the ship is ugly.

All of the mainstream cruiselines have some form of anytime dining.

There are certain generalizations about the various lines: MSC is more European-style and the Divina has been getting excellent reviews and seems to be a great value at the moment (terrific pricing!). HAL is more traditional/classic and tends to attract a more senior crowd; same for Celebrity.

Have you looked at Royal Caribbean for great entertainment and lots of activities? You don't have to choose their giant ships. Voyager class or Radiance class ships still have plenty of amenities.

I agree with Donna, I wouldn't go with Holland America for the simple reason that it tends to cater to an older age set, as well as the fact that the ship is quite a bit smaller than what you would be used to having been on the Norwegian Dawn. This would contribute to sea sickness if either of you have any sensitivity to that.

We have tried Carnival and really disliked it for the cheaper atmosphere. Less personalized service, we found the food to be lacking, a lot of loud partying types, and forget trying to swim in the pool as it is PACKED all the time. On the other hand, if you like to party, they do have more deck parties and such than any other line we've cruised on.

I have no experience with MSC, but based on what I've heard I think this would be your best bet of the lines you mentioned. They seem to offer a fairly good middle-ground.

I would also look at Royal Caribbean and Celebrity though. Royal Caribbean is our favorite line that we keep returning to, and they have Caribbean cruises down to a science. It's similar to Norwegian, but with everything just a notch up. Never been disappointed by RCCL. Celebrity is good too, fantastic food, owned by Royal, although a more quiet and toned down atmosphere overall.

Whichever you decide to go with, enjoy your cruise!

I will disagree with those who said Celebrity is more toned down. I found Celebrity to be older people, think 60s, all upscale, and very happy and loud partiers. And this was a 7 night and 11 night, so not really that short weekend getaway cruise. People very dressy, saw many tuxes and floor length gowns.

HAL is for much older people, like the parents of the 60 year olds on Celebrity. I would love to try the Divinia, sounds like most people are really enjoying that ship. Personally I would skip Carnival at all costs. The ships are mostly old and ugly. Very garish decor, like 80s style Vegas.

• 5 weeks later...

Check the comparative "net daily rate" for all cruise related expenses (including airfare, beverages, etc.) on the better mass market lines vs inclusive premium Oceania. Then figure in O Life perks and TA OBC (best if it is a top producing agent for O). Finally, consider the quality difference (best food at sea, highly restrictive smoking policy, smaller ships with high staff ratio, et al.). At the bottom line, you'll find that Oceania provides the "best bang for your buck."

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Check the comparative "net daily rate" for all cruise related expenses (including airfare, beverages, etc.) on the better mass market lines vs inclusive premium Oceania. Then figure in O Life perks and TA OBC (best if it is a top producing agent for O). Finally, consider the quality difference (best food at sea, highly restrictive smoking policy, smaller ships with high staff ratio, et al.). At the bottom line, you'll find that Oceania provides the "best bang for your buck."

I calculated this out and for us (of course everyone is different) and for what we need/use/buy on a cruise the mainstream lines come in at about 40% less than what Oceania costs. That is totaling everything that we spend on the cruise and comparing it to Oceania's advertised rates. It's hard to get a true comparison though because the Oceania website won't let you do a mock booking so one can't find out what their true total is unless you ask for a quote.

OP, NCL is more like CCL than it is different so I would suggest CCL or MSC if the fare is comparable to CCL (haven't been on MSC yet but I have read some good thing about them). I agree with reading the member reviews to see what others are saying.

I calculated this out and for us (of course everyone is different) and for what we need/use/buy on a cruise the mainstream lines come in at about 40% less than what Oceania costs. That is totaling everything that we spend on the cruise and comparing it to Oceania's advertised rates. It's hard to get a true comparison though because the Oceania website won't let you do a mock booking so one can't find out what their true total is unless you ask for a quote.

OP, NCL is more like CCL than it is different so I would suggest CCL or MSC if the fare is comparable to CCL (haven't been on MSC yet but I have read some good thing about them). I agree with reading the member reviews to see what others are saying.

It is true that, depending on your circumstances/preferences, you may find a variety of price differentials. However, if you are flying to/from your cruise, the airfare credit on O is a considerable value (e.g., $1,300+/- to Europe from US). Also add the value of included beverages (e.g., sodas, juices, lattes, Pellegrino), specialty restaurants, unlimited internet and (depending on itinerary/date) gratuities, excursions and/or alcohol. In addition, with the right TA, the refundable OBC can average about 10% of the listed cabin cost. Note too that top producing O TAs occasionally have access to O "first timer" added discount of 5-10%.

And then there's what you don't get: mediocre food (including gross self-served buffets), bothersome photographers, "art" shows, nickel/diming, hordes of passengers, endless announcements, low end bedding, etc.

As for mock booking, take another look at the O website, you can check the cabin price with/without included air (vs credit). Each itinerary also shows any O Life perks. (You won't find costs for some items like non-alcohol beverages or specialty dining because they are always included). The only thing you won't see is the value of TA OBC. Of course, you can also call O or your TA to find out what might be the air credit and other benefits/amenities. Hopefully, that TA will be a member of Oceania's Connoisseurs' Club.

Finally, please understand that I'm talking about comparisons to mass market lines that consider themselves a "step up" from lines like Carnival, Royal or NCL, i.e., Celebrity, Princess, HAL.

If you ever want to try O without the perception of "breaking the bank," look at some of their Caribbean or Transatlantic reposition cruises. Even if it works out to be a few hundred dollars more, you'll be amazed at the quality difference in every respect.

Not trying to sell O as much as sharing the "aha!" experience we had some years ago.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

It is true that, depending on your circumstances/preferences, you may find a variety of price differentials. However, if you are flying to/from your cruise, the airfare credit on O is a considerable value (e.g., $1,300+/- to Europe from US). Also add the value of included beverages (e.g., sodas, juices, lattes, Pellegrino), specialty restaurants, unlimited internet and (depending on itinerary/date) gratuities, excursions and/or alcohol. In addition, with the right TA, the refundable OBC can average about 10% of the listed cabin cost. Note too that top producing O TAs occasionally have access to O "first timer" added discount of 5-10%.

And then there's what you don't get: mediocre food (including gross self-served buffets), bothersome photographers, "art" shows, nickel/diming, hordes of passengers, endless announcements, low end bedding, etc.

As for mock booking, take another look at the O website, you can check the cabin price with/without included air (vs credit). Each itinerary also shows any O Life perks. (You won't find costs for some items like non-alcohol beverages or specialty dining because they are always included). The only thing you won't see is the value of TA OBC. Of course, you can also call O or your TA to find out what might be the air credit and other benefits/amenities. Hopefully, that TA will be a member of Oceania's Connoisseurs' Club.

Finally, please understand that I'm talking about comparisons to mass market lines that consider themselves a "step up" from lines like Carnival, Royal or NCL, i.e., Celebrity, Princess, HAL.

If you ever want to try O without the perception of "breaking the bank," look at some of their Caribbean or Transatlantic reposition cruises. Even if it works out to be a few hundred dollars more, you'll be amazed at the quality difference in every respect.

Not trying to sell O as much as sharing the "aha!" experience we had some years ago.

I found that if I registered with the site I could do a faux booking and looked at a cruise in 3/2017, 10 day cruise. $8200. We would spend half that on a mainstream line. I do need to thank you because while looking at the difference between CCL and Oceania I found out that CCL is having a $99 deposit special so I reserved our 25th anniversary cruise to sail during Thanksgiving in 2017:). I do see your point that Oceania may compare favorably to X, HAL, etc.

I see you are from mass.

Do look at October 30, 2016: Royal Caribbean repositioning cruise from Boston to Fort Lauderdale (Florida). A 12-night cruise that goes to the Caribbean islands of St Thomas, St Maarten, St Lucia, Curacao, and Aruba.

Only one way air-fair needed . :cool:

I found that if I registered with the site I could do a faux booking and looked at a cruise in 3/2017, 10 day cruise. $8200. We would spend half that on a mainstream line. I do need to thank you because while looking at the difference between CCL and Oceania I found out that CCL is having a $99 deposit special so I reserved our 25th anniversary cruise to sail during Thanksgiving in 2017:). I do see your point that Oceania may compare favorably to X, HAL, etc.

Actually, that listed fare, with the air credit, is $7500 total for two for a B4 balcony cabin. Subtract approx $250 for unlimited internet and opt for the $400 OBC "O Life" perk and you're now at $6850. On Rivera, you get 4 guaranteed pre-reserves for specialty restaurants. Conservatively, that's another value of $50 (for two people) x 4 nights = $200. you're now at $6600. I won't even deduct for the beverage value. Then subtract TA OBC of approx. $600 and you're at $6000. Fnally, check with the TA about possible "first timer" O discount of up to 10% (subtract another conservative $600 for a total net cabin cost of $5400 (or $2700 per person).

Comparing Oceania to Carnival is a real stretch. But, comparing it to Celebrity would produce somewhat similar prices though still with a world of difference in quality and service.

Whatever you do, enjoy your 25th anniversary!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Thank you all for your help. We still haven't decided on which cruise we will take but we have a much better idea of each of the lines from your posts. :)

Are you still limited to just those 3 ships? If so, Carnival Glory and MSC Divina would probably be most like your Norwegian Dawn experience. Of those 2, I'd probably go with Divina. HAL Veendam would be totally different and much more sleepy.

Actually, that listed fare, with the air credit, is $7500 total for two for a B4 balcony cabin. Subtract approx $250 for unlimited internet and opt for the $400 OBC "O Life" perk and you're now at $6850. On Rivera, you get 4 guaranteed pre-reserves for specialty restaurants. Conservatively, that's another value of $50 (for two people) x 4 nights = $200. you're now at $6600. I won't even deduct for the beverage value. Then subtract TA OBC of approx. $600 and you're at $6000. Fnally, check with the TA about possible "first timer" O discount of up to 10% (subtract another conservative $600 for a total net cabin cost of $5400 (or $2700 per person).

Comparing Oceania to Carnival is a real stretch. But, comparing it to Celebrity would produce somewhat similar prices though still with a world of difference in quality and service.

Whatever you do, enjoy your 25th anniversary!

See, we would never pay for unlimited internet or $200 for specialty restaurants, etc. so while we might use them some if they were free, it does not make for a valid price comparison!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See, we would never pay for unlimited internet or $200 for specialty restaurants, etc. so while we might use them some if they were free, it does not make for a valid price comparison!

I think they were trying to say you could have a nicer experience on Oceania & the included items would be add ons to other lines

Nothing is free you pay in the total fare

The intangible things on a premium line are what sets them apart but if you are only comparing the bottom line then the premium or luxury lines will not be for you

People should do what works best for them

Enjoy

Speaking only for myself, the price comparison is of no consequence if what's offered on board has no appeal to me. I've looked at Oceania and no matter how the numbers were crunched, it still came out considerably more expensive. I'd be ok with that if the cruise line appealed to me but for now, I still prefer cruise lines with the larger Broadway productions and more active amenities. I can see myself going in that direction maybe 10-15 years from now, but I'm not ready to go that direction just yet. :)