PO Australia getting a new ship

I found this on the Princess board.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/carnival-corporation-build-four-cruise-164500182.html

While Princess are getting another new ship in the Royal class the most interesting part of the article was that PO Australia is getting a new ship too. Now not a hand me down, not someone 25 year old leftovers. A brand spanking new shinny ship. Sounds too good to be true.

The new P&O Cruises Australia ship will join the leading cruise line's fleet that was recently expanded with the addition of Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden in November 2015 and will reach six total with the introduction of Pacific Explorer in 2017 to meet growing demand for cruises in Australia. Australia is one of the top performing cruise markets in the world, with an average annual passenger growth rate of 20 percent over the past decade. The new 4,200-passenger ship will have the largest passenger capacity from the line, with the next largest ship, Pacific Explorer, carrying 2,250 passengers, and will continue the brand's tradition of innovative ships that reflect modern Australia.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/carnival-corporation-build-four-cruise-164500182.html

While Princess are getting another new ship in the Royal class the most interesting part of the article was that PO Australia is getting a new ship too. Now not a hand me down, not someone 25 year old leftovers. A brand spanking new shinny ship. Sounds too good to be true.

The new P&O Cruises Australia ship will join the leading cruise line's fleet that was recently expanded with the addition of Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden in November 2015 and will reach six total with the introduction of Pacific Explorer in 2017 to meet growing demand for cruises in Australia. Australia is one of the top performing cruise markets in the world, with an average annual passenger growth rate of 20 percent over the past decade. The new 4,200-passenger ship will have the largest passenger capacity from the line, with the next largest ship, Pacific Explorer, carrying 2,250 passengers, and will continue the brand's tradition of innovative ships that reflect modern Australia.

It seems that may be P&O are upping the passenger numbers on Dawn Princess from 1950 to 2250, when they take her over, which will be a real shame. She's great as she is!!

Sounds ruff, but then I could be barking up the wrong tree????

Thats a lot of meals to keep hot ...

With all these new ships coming lets trust that they are taking on and training the new staff that will be needed to run them . The old P&O proper , used to have a training school that staff graduated from.

.:eek::rolleyes:

A new 4200 passenger ship for P&O Australia ??? Let me know what it is called so that I can avoid it in the future!!!! What ports on the "usual" Australian cruising scene are going to be able to cope with 4200 passengers?? Mystery Island?? Champagne Bay?? Vila?? etc, etc.

A new 4200 passenger ship for P&O Australia ??? Let me know what it is called so that I can avoid it in the future!!!! What ports on the "usual" Australian cruising scene are going to be able to cope with 4200 passengers?? Mystery Island?? Champagne Bay?? Vila?? etc, etc.

Pacific Problem or Pacific Logjam

Regards

John

Oh and at that size it wont get to White Bay ....

lets list the ports where it could dock...

please add any more..

Fremantle

Adelaide

Melbourne

Sydney..OPT

Brisbane..Fishermans Island

Darwin

Auckland

Tauranga

Wellington

Picton...Log wharf?

Port Chalmers?

Fiordland ...scenic cruising

Pacific Islands?????

It seems that may be P&O are upping the passenger numbers on Dawn Princess from 1950 to 2250, when they take her over, which will be a real shame. She's great as she is!!

i was on the Dawn Princess one january and it was packed with just over 2000 paxs so with 2250 i wouldnt like to go on the cruise....they must be going to make some twin cabins into quads

lets list the ports where it could dock...

please add any more..

Fremantle

Adelaide

Melbourne

Sydney..OPT

Brisbane..Fishermans Island

Darwin

Auckland

Tauranga

Wellington

Picton...Log wharf?

Port Chalmers?

Fiordland ...scenic cruising

Pacific Islands?????

At 135,5000t and 4200 passengers, it will be roughly the same size as the Voyager & Explorer of the Seas. These ships have recently been fitted with tenders and now do most of the South Pacific and NZ ports.

Voyager also stops at Port Chalmers and Napier, and Explorer has done the Bay of Islands (which is a tender port).

Pacific Problem or Pacific Logjam

After the last couple of weeks it has to be Pacific Plague doesn't it? :p

but seriously - congratulations to P&O for the decision to invest in the Australian cruise market - it's a big bet - they must be planning on rationalising their current fleet and taking some market share off their competitors.

Worst case if things don't work out they'll just move it to a new location somewhere in the world (China?) - its not like building a bricks and mortar resort - it's portable so lots of flexibility

Edited by Bodogbodog

Oh seriously!? The reaction from some people on here is ridiculous! This is such exciting news! Quit complaining! People have been crying out for this to happen for years! It'll be interesting to see if Royal Caribbean or NCL counter with something better...

Sorry, I think you are barking up the wrong tree.:) But others have made the same mistake in the past (for example talking about the conversion of the old Regal Princess to Pacific Dawn where they did not add hundreds of upper berths.)

Here is a "cut and paste" about the Dawn Princess:

Dawn Princess Fact Sheet

Guest Capacity: 1,998 lower berths

Tonnage: 77,441

Inaugural Cruise: May 10, 1997

The figure quoted in the cruise brochure is 1998 (not 1950) but this is lower berths. This is the usual way the number of berths are counted, but often the figure is misunderstood to be the full number of berths. I can guarantee that there are currently some upper berths in the Dawn Princess. We have been in cabins with upper berths (not in use) and seen other cabins where the four berths are all in use.

I rather doubt that any new berths will be added. There would only have to be 63 4-berth cabins on board to reach the number of 2250 that was mentioned.

The limitation on how many passengers can be carried is a legal requirement on the maximum number of people who can be on board and I think Dawn Princess gets near that capacity now. (This was explained by the captain on one ship we were on during a Meet the Captain talk.)

Edited by Aus Traveller

Oh seriously!? The reaction from some people on here is ridiculous! This is such exciting news! Quit complaining! People have been crying out for this to happen for years! It'll be interesting to see if Royal Caribbean or NCL counter with something better...

Steady on. I think people are all for a new ship but were just wondering how infrastructure and ports etc would cope with a ship so large.

Our region is more suited to the 2000-3000 tops.

Steady on. I think people are all for a new ship but were just wondering how infrastructure and ports etc would cope with a ship so large.

Our region is more suited to the 2000-3000 tops.

It's four years down the track. We have no idea what sort of investment in infrastructure will be made in the next few years. It's quite possible (with the work Carnival Australia has been doing to improve infrastructure), that there are port plans, etc that we aren't privy to. Vila can now take Voyager class ships due to dredging.

People on here always seem to take the negative. We're all meant to love cruising, so how about we celebrate news like this? I don't mean to offend anyone, but it just gets a bit frustrating to read the same sorts of negative things from the same people sometimes.

Edited by Royalty X

I don't see it as negative to raise issues regarding infrastructure, where the ships can go etc.

Like for Melbourne, I think they might need to dredge the channel deeper to get a ship that size to dock at Station Pier.

I remember all the hoopla last time with the dredging.

People are excited about a new ship. Who wouldn't be. But, there are some hurdles to overcome and some major ones.

Any way, my money is on this one being home ported in Sydney.

I don't see it as negative to raise issues regarding infrastructure, where the ships can go etc.

Like for Melbourne, I think they might need to dredge the channel deeper to get a ship that size to dock at Station Pier.

I remember all the hoopla last time with the dredging.

People are excited about a new ship. Who wouldn't be. But, there are some hurdles to overcome and some major ones.

Any way, my money is on this one being home ported in Sydney.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. You just need to read back over the posts in this page to see the negative comments. Some don't even acknowledge that this is exciting news, they just go straight to complaining.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. You just need to read back over the posts in this page to see the negative comments. Some don't even acknowledge that this is exciting news, they just go straight to complaining.

I think that's a little bit tongue and cheek from what happened recently with PO Australia.

Having seen first hand what Australian cruisers and cruising is like I do not believe Australia deserves a brand new ship. I have cruised for coming up to 14 years now and have traveled far and wide with many cruise lines and nationalities. From what I have seen it is Australians that respect the ships the least. I used to think we had the numbers for a new ship, but having seen first hand what people are like that sail around Australia I thought to myself that Australia should keep getting the hand-me-downs. The country is not ready for a new ship.

Fit a few more 'friendly 4 cabins' I expect, as they do. A disaster, theatres, public rooms, restaurants are designed and built for 1950 pax. Look what they did to Regal Princess on rebirth as Pacific Dawn, I have been on that ship under both names, overcrowded.

All about bodies on beds.

Edited by NSWP

Having seen first hand what Australian cruisers and cruising is like I do not believe Australia deserves a brand new ship

That's ok - it wasn't in the official press release but I believe P&O are planning on filling this ship with children who are wagging school and their doting parents or grand parents. Basically it will be a 4000 person kids club!

Should they reserve a space for you on it?

Having seen first hand what Australian cruisers and cruising is like I do not believe Australia deserves a brand new ship. I have cruised for coming up to 14 years now and have traveled far and wide with many cruise lines and nationalities. From what I have seen it is Australians that respect the ships the least. I used to think we had the numbers for a new ship, but having seen first hand what people are like that sail around Australia I thought to myself that Australia should keep getting the hand-me-downs. The country is not ready for a new ship.

Sutho/Karateman...I find those remarks most disappointing, not all Aussies are Bogans.

The new ship is coming...and the crowd roars.

The only reservation I have re the large new ship is its operational ability to use the tender ports of which there are several in the South Pacific cruise itineraries.

Edited by NSWP