PO Australia getting a new ship

we would love to see some of those 500-1000 PAX ships.

Totally agree, our favourite cruise was on the old Tahitian Princess, 650 passengers approx, we have been on cruise ships with capacity ranging from 60 to 3800 passengers. Dislike the larger ships and would be very happy to pay a premium for a much smaller ship with more exotic South Pacific ports.

Steady on. I think people are all for a new ship but were just wondering how infrastructure and ports etc would cope with a ship so large.

Our region is more suited to the 2000-3000 tops.

I found Diamond at 2,600 too big for many Ports.

Oh seriously!? The reaction from some people on here is ridiculous! This is such exciting news! Quit complaining! People have been crying out for this to happen for years! It'll be interesting to see if Royal Caribbean or NCL counter with something better...

Maybe two different groups.

Totally agree, our favourite cruise was on the old Tahitian Princess, 650 passengers approx, we have been on cruise ships with capacity ranging from 60 to 3800 passengers. Dislike the larger ships and would be very happy to pay a premium for a much smaller ship with more exotic South Pacific ports.

We started cruising on her sister PP 680 PAX, fell in love, the larger ships have a lot of downsides in our mind.

I agree .We spent over 60 days at sea on both Pacific and Tahitian Princess They are an ideal size.

Why cant they build some just like them, but say about 1,200 pax and a couple of extra lounges. With ships that size cruising would really take off as they could access many more ports.Something like Oceanias Marina would be ideal,

I agree .We spent over 60 days at sea on both Pacific and Tahitian Princess They are an ideal size.

Why cant they build some just like them, but say about 1,200 pax and a couple of extra lounges. With ships that size cruising would really take off as they could access many more ports.Something like Oceanias Marina would be ideal,

It depends how much people are prepared to pay for a cruise holiday. A ship with fewer passengers is not going to as cost-effective per person compared with a larger ship.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Nearly all the current & new blocks of flats on barges have around 8+ metres operating draft - less than little Titanic.

That's the very reason Explorer heeled over 10 deg in a squall.

Too little Draft and too much Air Draft (height above waterline).

That new ship will be targetting families and kids with all the bells and whistles.

Speaking of the Pacific Princess. Princess should ship that down here and it could do 15/20 day runs up to Tahitiian Islands and other islands and back out of Sydney. I reckon they would get bookings.

Edited by icat2000

What great news that we Aussies will be allocated a NEW ship. Something many people have been almost demanding for some time now. I'm not going to knock P&O, they do have a few issues to work through but they also have a few years to lift their game before the new ship arrives. As for the passenger numbers, big ships seem to be working OK for Royal at the moment, no reason it won't work as well for P&O. So, lets all get together and encourage our "local" cruise company.

Steve.

P&O Australia has never been a local company.

Speaking of the Pacific Princess. Princess should ship that down here and it could do 15/20 day runs up to Tahitiian Islands and other islands and back out of Sydney. I reckon they would get bookings.

Pacific Princess was based in Aus a few years back and was replaced with Dawn Princess.

A new ship is very exciting. With it being bigger it may do cruises further afield than what P&O currently do, and longer cruises. That would be nice, but so would be stepping onto a new ship (never had the chance yet).

Enjoyed getting on Sun, Diamond and Eden after they had refurbishments, so brand new would be lovely I imagine.

That new ship will be targetting families and kids with all the bells and whistles.

The itinerary round trip from Sydney to Tahiti and other islands takes 28 days. Even if a couple of ports are deleted, it would take around 25 days.

Having seen first hand what Australian cruisers and cruising is like I do not believe Australia deserves a brand new ship. I have cruised for coming up to 14 years now and have traveled far and wide with many cruise lines and nationalities. From what I have seen it is Australians that respect the ships the least. I used to think we had the numbers for a new ship, but having seen first hand what people are like that sail around Australia I thought to myself that Australia should keep getting the hand-me-downs. The country is not ready for a new ship.

Luckily for the rest of Australia P&O based its decision to spend a few hundred million on a new ship on a bit more evidence and market research than your extensive comparison of Australian cruise behaviour versus the rest of the world. :rolleyes:

Luckily for the rest of Australia P&O based its decision to spend a few hundred million on a new ship on a bit more evidence and market research than your extensive comparison of Australian cruise behaviour versus the rest of the world. :rolleyes:

Pure GOLD.

Sutho/Karateman...I find those remarks most disappointing, not all Aussies are Bogans.

I note with interest............Brisbane41 is no longer a "CC" member - according to the members list ;)

They come back. But he's pretty easy to spot he never changes his posting style. :D

Haha! Snap! [emoji38]

It depends how much people are prepared to pay for a cruise holiday. A ship with fewer passengers is not going to as cost-effective per person compared with a larger ship.

That's the nub of the issue.

They're looking for significant profit drivers. Building a much smaller ship for the main lines doesn't achieved the desired return for the scale of the business.

The two major lines (Not NCL) have lines that cater for a more niche audience with smaller ships though i.e. Azamara and Seabourn.

Edited by The_Big_M

I would guess the shorter trips are more profitable for the cruise lines.

They get profit on the longer ones too e.g. world cruises, but shorter ones are more popular and accessible, so easier to sell, operate and market.

Edited by The_Big_M

How long has it taken? P&O Australia has seen its reputation trashed with recycled ships time and time again. I note they are currently in the news again with people complaining about the recycled ships from HAL. P&O have driven away any chance of redemption with the constant use of recycled hand-me-downs. I doubt the new ship will be a "game changer" as they proclaim. Something or some ships will have to go to make way for the numbers. With the likes of Celebrity and Princess sending their latest and greatest here most sophisticates will stick to those cruise lines and avoid P&O Australia.

I personally have no desire to sail with P&O Australia regardless of how new the ship is they get. I will go with Celebrity or Princess.

It's four years down the track. We have no idea what sort of investment in infrastructure will be made in the next few years. It's quite possible (with the work Carnival Australia has been doing to improve infrastructure), that there are port plans, etc that we aren't privy to. Vila can now take Voyager class ships due to dredging.

People on here always seem to take the negative. We're all meant to love cruising, so how about we celebrate news like this? I don't mean to offend anyone, but it just gets a bit frustrating to read the same sorts of negative things from the same people sometimes.

Positivity is itself in the eye of the beholder! In my eyes, increasing ship sizes to 4200 is NOT a positive move which I would support. Not that my support or lack of it means much at all! :) I have cruised on Voyager to NZ ports - and that was quite good. I think I recall that there were no tender ports. Even if the wharf at (say) Vila is improved/dredged such that ships of this size can get alongside - I don't fancy visiting Vila with 4199 other passengers :)

Anyway, one positive thing about all this is that when this new ship does eventually get here, taking 4200 new ship "enthusiasts" out of the market should mean the older/smaller ships will be more difficult to fill and will therefore benefit me :)

Barry

Edited by bazzaw