Formal nights/Tuxedo question

capecruizin

Most don't' date=' but the ones who do look hot.

[/quote']

I never realized that until one cruise I was in my tux and had to run back to the room. I got into an elevator and it was just me and one woman. The doors closed and she looked at me and gave me a huge smile and said "You are sooooooo handsome!" I was speechless and gave her a little chuckle.

What can I say....

I don't do a tux in the Caribbean. White dinner jacket is more appropriate, and of the same level of formality.

Of course, if I'm feeling frisky I might go actually FORMAL and wear my kilt, regulation doublet, and white tie. (Black tie/tuxedo is evening wear, not "formal".)

On our upcoming Royal Princess cruise, I will be in white dinner jacket one night, and really formal with kilt the other. And my beautiful lady will be stunning in her attire, as usual!!

I always say that these are "LUXURY" cruises we are on, not a camping trip.... even if you are inside cabin!!! I ALWAYS dress smartly for dinner, but I'm a bit old fashion that way. Formal Nights are always with a tux or nice suit and I have ALWAYS pulled in the complements on how nice I look.

Dress up at every opportunity! Smart casual! Nice shirt, slacks, nice dress, nice pant suit. Dress like you want to impress someone, not rob them. Don't want to dress up???? Hit the smorgasbord topside. Totally appropriate for tank tops, swim suits and shorts, but not for the MDR!! I guarantee you won't get comments on what a stiff you are dressed up nice, but many a comment on how you look like a slob with shorts, jeans, tank tops, etc in the MDR.

Just sayin'

I always say that these are "LUXURY" cruises we are on, not a camping trip.... even if you are inside cabin!!! I ALWAYS dress smartly for dinner, but I'm a bit old fashion that way. Formal Nights are always with a tux or nice suit and I have ALWAYS pulled in the complements on how nice I look.

Dress up at every opportunity! Smart casual! Nice shirt, slacks, nice dress, nice pant suit. Dress like you want to impress someone, not rob them. Don't want to dress up???? Hit the smorgasbord topside. Totally appropriate for tank tops, swim suits and shorts, but not for the MDR!! I guarantee you won't get comments on what a stiff you are dressed up nice, but many a comment on how you look like a slob with shorts, jeans, tank tops, etc in the MDR.

Just sayin'

Agree 100%!!

Just sayin'

I also agree 100%!

Just sayin'

So if someone doesn't want to dress up like you they should hit the buffet?:rolleyes:

Some people don't really care about the comments from total strangers about how they are dressed, why would they?.

So do you wear a tux or suit to receive compliments on how well you are dressed?:rolleyes:

So if someone doesn't want to dress up like you they should hit the buffet?:rolleyes:

Some people don't really care about the comments from total strangers about how they are dressed, why would they?.

So do you wear a tux or suit to receive compliments on how well you are dressed?:rolleyes:

I would say yes.....:):):)

Bob

On my next Cruise I'm going to look around and try to get a good idea on how many men are wearing tuxedos. On my last cruise I seed an elderly woman wearing a tux without the jacket and she looked GREAT!!! I have a picture of her but I don't know how to post it on Cruise Critic. Sorry I'm still learning all this computer stuff :eek:. "If you want to feel good you have to look good" :D. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Tony

I always wear a tux on formal night. Never have to worry about packing it as I use Cruise Line Formal Wear and it's waiting in my cabin when we arrive.....:):):)

Bob

DH has his own tux, but he rents shoes onboard, saves a lot of weight in the suitcase. He loves dressing up & looks good.

Packing the tux isn't that big of an issue, DH always sends it to get cleaned and pressed when we board so it doesn't matter if it gets wrinkled a bit in transit. It's cheaper to get it cleaned onboard than at home.

I always wear my tux and I eat wherever I want on formal night - and I really don't care what anyone else is wearing - non of my business and it certainly doesn't change the fun my wife and I are having :-)

Very well stated.

Edited by satxdiver

Just sayin'

Can you expound on the comment …."even if you are inside cabin"?

B2B on Regal in November. Maybe 15% tux, including quite a few up in the MUTS area for the Bond water show. Also large number of military formal and kilts. For the Captain's Circle parties probably had 30% formal and 80% in at least a dark suit (1500 members one cruise, 2000 on the other with 450 elite). Mine is getting a bit worn, so time to get a new one.

I always wear my tux and I eat wherever I want on formal night - and I really don't care what anyone else is wearing - non of my business and it certainly doesn't change the fun my wife and I are having :-)

I agree. I hadn't planned on doing the formal night stuff on our next cruise but my wife would like to. So, I did something I haven't done in 40 years - I bought a suit jacket. I hate to have anything that needs dry cleaning but I figured for $6.12 (tax included) at Thrift Town it would be worth it and it would make my wife happy.

The local Good Will store here in Florida has dozens of jackets for sale all the time. Lots of old guys dying off & the wife's just donate the stuff.

The guy across the street for us recently had a garage sale & couldn't give away his hardly used tux in perfect condition.

More arrogance. Maybe you should hit the buffet when you are in your formal wear.;)

I don't understand why it is arrogant to expect people to comply with the dress guidelines?

It seems to me that the arrogant one is the one who thinks the rules don't apply to him or her...

Just a causal observation. Draw your own conclusions....

I don't understand why it is arrogant to expect people to comply with the dress guidelines?

It seems to me that the arrogant one is the one who thinks the rules don't apply to him or her...

Just a causal observation. Draw your own conclusions....

They aren't rules, they are suggestions, or don't you understand that? And why is it not arrogant to suggest to someone that if they don't dress the way you do, or how you want them to dress? Or comments like, look like a slob, or even if you are in an inside cabin? Not arrogant?:rolleyes: Draw your own concussions.