Rough Seas? No an Earthquake

kruisey

Very occasionally on my numerous Princess Cruises have encountered rough seas.

Last night in the dark in bed the coat hangers rattled in the closet and the room swayed..I turned over and went to sleep.This is exactly like I do on the ship kinda used to this normal situation.In the morning I read that we had had a 4.7 Earthquake...I wonder if the big one comes during the night I will have the same re action .That is what happens to one when one cruises too much.No sense of panic and excitement.;);)

Edited by kruisey

Hope you don't encounter one like we had here in Los Angeles I believe in the 60's. It moved our bed from one side of the room to the other. No rolling over and going back to sleep for us. :)

Very occasionally on my numerous Princess Cruises have encountered rough seas.

Last night in the dark in bed the coat hangers rattled in the closet and the room swayed..I turned over and went to sleep.This is exactly like I do on the ship kinda used to this normal situation.In the morning I read that we had had a 4.7 Earthquake...I wonder if the big one comes during the night I will have the same re action .That is what happens to one when one cruises too much.No sense of panic and excitement.;);)

Congratulations! You're now an honorary Californian! That's a typical Californian response.

What an earthquake feels like depends on many factors. Our 4.4 quake last night didn't even register that it was a quake. We live about 20 minutes from the Devore epicenter. Felt it and didn't even think it was a shaker.

USGS.gov has a very cool shake map.

http://www.usgs.gov

Edited by SadieN

Congratulations! You're now an honorary Californian! That's a typical Californian response.

What an earthquake feels like depends on many factors. Our 4.4 quake last night didn't even register that it was a quake. We live about 20 minutes from the Devore epicenter. Felt it and didn't even think it was a shaker.

Should have said that what I felt didn't register WITH ME that it was an earthquake.

We are on the same fault line that you guys are on in California St Andreas there are numerous flare ups each year but this one was nearer the surface just outside Victoria so we got a jolt across the water in Vancouver.We are already honorary of the same group :eek:

Hope you don't encounter one like we had here in Los Angeles I believe in the 60's. It moved our bed from one side of the room to the other. No rolling over and going back to sleep for us. :)

I think you're referring to the February 9, 1971 Sylmar quake that was a 6.7.

I remember it well!

4.5 can feel like a 7 if you are near the epicenter.
It also depends on the geological formation beneath you. Remember when there was a "small" earthquake by CA standards on the east coast a few years ago? It was felt strongly hundreds of miles away.

Frankly, I would much rather be on a ship at sea in an earthquake and any other place. Not only for the obvious reasons (being on a ship is nice in itself), but the most that happens is you get shaken a little (or maybe a lot).

Unless you are very close to shore or in port, tsunamis would not affect you. Nor do you have to contend with buildings falling down around you.

All in all a great place to experience an earthquake!

The Devore quake was right under us. It was intense and short. There were then 30 aftershocks, but we stopped feeling them after about the fourth one. Because it was so close, there was none of the warning rumbling of the ground we usually get. It was just BOOM! and then it was over, like a giant kicking the house. No damage in the house, thank goodness.

Frankly, I would much rather be on a ship at sea in an earthquake and any other place. Not only for the obvious reasons (being on a ship is nice in itself), but the most that happens is you get shaken a little (or maybe a lot).

Unless you are very close to shore or in port, tsunamis would not affect you. Nor do you have to contend with buildings falling down around you.

All in all a great place to experience an earthquake!

We were on the Star Princess anchored in Valparaiso harbor after the 2010 Chilean earthquake. There was a magnitude 5.5-6.0 aftershock and the only thing we noticed was the horizon disappearing and then reappearing but there was no movement felt on the ship. We didn't even know it was an aftershocks until the captain notified the ship.

That's funny, Kruisey, we had a little shaker down here, last night. As I recall it was a 4.3 about 40miles east of us.

Scared the heck out of Mr. Cat.

I was surprised when the news I was watching just reported there was a quake in the San Bernardino area, which none of us in my family felt, but a short time later, it was mentioned it was felt even in the community where I live, which is quite a distance from the epicenter. And I was sitting at the time and not walking around.

Maybe you're thinking of the 1971 Sylmar one, which hit about 6am. I had just gotten out of bed a couple of minutes before. At that time, it was the biggest one I've ever been in. I ran into the hallway and then into my parents' bedroom when I heard they calling for me. Our dog was growling under their bed at me. But they didn't bother to get out of bed at that time.

We had a series of really strong ones in the early 90s -- there were two major ones that hit different areas within a few hours of each other on my father's birthday in 1992. Then of course, the 1994 one which hit the SFV hard (that one even scared my father as he got hit by a flying bookcase in his condo and needed to go to the ER). I didn't have electricity (turned out for four days) so I packed up some clothing and flee to their condo as there was no way I was going to be in a dark place alone with all those aftershocks.

It also depends on the geological formation beneath you. Remember when there was a "small" earthquake by CA standards on the east coast a few years ago? It was felt strongly hundreds of miles away.

Largest recorded earthquake in the Continental US was on the New Madrid fault, Missouri.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/events/1811-1812.php

Here, in Virginia, we had one that was felt as far north as NY....did considerable damage around the epicenter (Locust Grove)...luckily, my area was only shaken hard...a few nail pops in the drywall...lost a few pictures off the walls...and almost tipped over my china cabinet....it damaged the Washington Monument in DC!

Try the Bay area in 1989, World Series, Need I say more? :cool:

Anybody see the Napa earthquake damage from last year?

Depends How close to epicenter you are.....

4.5 can feel like a 7 if you are near the epicenter.

We live about an hour drive from there, and did not feel much of it here. But it did cause a lot of damage. I was babysitting and watching the baseball game on tv when that quake occurred. I was living in Corona Ca at the time.

Earthquakes on a ship:

My mom was on the old Pacific Princess (the Love Boat) when an earthquake hit in Japan. They were off the coast. She said the waves were horrific and that barf bags were hanging on every railing on the ship. They were strongly advised not to go outside. She remembers on lady who had to have a smoke. She went outside and ended up with a broken arm. They definetely felt it.

Fast forward to September 2010. We had taken a catamaran cruise in Barbados. We had two of them. When we got back to the beach and they off loaded my daughter first because she had a little one and they wanted baby off second. Well, the water changed - and I mean changed. Back out in the water. The captain from the second cat boarded ours. It was something else. It took over 45 minutes to get us all off. One couple almost literally fell into the water and walked to shore. The waves were out of this world. There is nothing like taking under two kids and there crap off a boat that is swaying so hard that even the captains could barely cope. They even had guys come out from the shore to help. It was actually kind of scary. We found out later that there had been an earthquake many many miles away (like the other side of the world). That was the only reason we could come up with for the freakish ending to a very calm day.

I was here for the 1979 one. That one you had no choice but to feel and you most certainly didn't go back to sleep.

These things don't even phase me. I have lived here all my life. A 4.7 is nothing. But for people who are not used to them are quite rattled from them.

Well it sure rattled me. The loud crash like a truck had run into the house followed by a few seconds of violent shaking had me fly off the couch, heart racing. So terrified my brain could not even comprehend that it was probably an earthquake until several minutes later.

I can't imagine what a higher magnitude one would feel like.

Well it sure rattled me. The loud crash like a truck had run into the house followed by a few seconds of violent shaking had me fly off the couch, heart racing. So terrified my brain could not even comprehend that it was probably an earthquake until several minutes later.

I can't imagine what a higher magnitude one would feel like.

LOL - about the same only more violent shaking and longer.