Baseline tan

So we are cruising in nine days and I have been sun adverse for a while now. That is to say I am a sick shade of pasty. While I am not a fan of tanning beds and the potential health consequences, I am also not a fan of the idea of frying myself lobster red in the Caribbean next week.

Do you think I have enough time to develope a base tan in a tanning bed? Once I do tan I can get very dark and I prefer the higher level beds because the tanning time is shorter.

Since you already know and accept the health consequences, no lectures needed. I've always pre-tanned via tanning bed - usually gave myself 3 weeks on the cheaper beds. It did really help.

You probably have enough time for the higher level bed, maybe go every other day starting immediately and up until the day before you leave.

Good luck and use sunscreen! :p

Do you think I have enough time to develope a base tan in a tanning bed? Once I do tan I can get very dark and I prefer the higher level beds because the tanning time is shorter.

It sounds as though you have enough experience with tanning beds to know how well you'll be able to get a tan before your cruise; no one on this board knows exactly how quickly you tan so likely can't answer any better than you can answer for yourself. ;)

It sounds as though you have enough experience with tanning beds to know how well you'll be able to get a tan before your cruise; no one on this board knows exactly how quickly you tan so likely can't answer any better than you can answer for yourself. ;)

No actually- I used to be a year round tanner and have never tanned specifically for an occasion. Sorry if my questioned bothered you.

(hops up on soap box)

Don't do it. Use self tanners and lots of sunscreen. Tanning beds cause skin cancer and melanoma as does unprotected sun exposure. Says the pasty white redhead plastic surgery OR nurse.

(hops off soap box)

I am pasty-Irish-white and proud of it. Getting a "base tan" doesn't make you less likely to burn, it just adds to your sun accumulation/cancer risk. Use good quality sun screen and barrier blocks. I use SPF 50 and wear a rash guard and hat. And don't forget your eyes. Wear sunglasses.

(hops up on soap box)

Don't do it. Use self tanners and lots of sunscreen. Tanning beds cause skin cancer and melanoma as does unprotected sun exposure. Says the pasty white redhead plastic surgery OR nurse.

(hops off soap box)

I am pasty-Irish-white and proud of it. Getting a "base tan" doesn't make you less likely to burn, it just adds to your sun accumulation/cancer risk. Use good quality sun screen and barriers blocks. I use SPF 50 and wear a rash guard and hat. And don't forget your eyes. Wear sunglasses.

I really want to thank you for this. I was a huge tanner for years. Then I lost too many people to cancer. I can just wear a ton of sunscreen and a rash guard and find umbrellas. Thank you!!!!

If you have to have "a glow" get a spray tan & continue it with self tanners, rash guards, hats, good sunglasses. Trust me, I just had a 35th skin cancer cut out I didn't learn in time

Good for you and your decision. I used to think I needed a "base tan" to avoid being burned on vacation. After seeing my dad's head carved up from skin cancer and seeing all the evidence that tanning is bad, I lectured myself and just bought higher proofed sunscreen and reapply often.

Lotions with self tanner included makes me feel more confident about my nekkid legs and arms on vacation without risking orange streaks and fingers. I know that just plays into our society's "tan" obsession. I know, I know. Baby steps. :-)

I actually thought about buying a swim shirt for snorkeling this year. Snorkeling is the only time I seem to get sunburned. Maybe next time. I thought about it too late this time and know nothing about buying those, so need extra time to research.

Edited by weltek

You could get a base tan if you went every day for nine days, but you'd also be drying out your skin even if you moisturized ALOT. Most employees at a tanning would likely advise the same. Here in Florida, they'd probably make you sign a waiver saying that you're going against their advice if you DID decide to tan nine days straight.

I'd suggest tanning maybe three times and loading up on the on sunscreen while you're on vacation.

P.S. I'd look for a quality stand up booth too. High pressure beds seem too harsh on pale skin (including mine) and regular beds require too many long visits. I currently go 6 minutes a week in a stand up booth and I'm still pale, but not "Twilight" pale and I have found that my skin is much less likely to burn at at the beach. I ALWAYS apply a high SPF alot too!

<on soapbox>I wish that moderators would just remove these threads as soon as one is started. CC should not be promoting discussions on such a bad practice that leads to cancer and death. There is no such thing as "getting a base tan"; you are just starting your cancer-causing exposure sooner than your cruise. <off soapbox>

I've also had a friend die a horrible death from melanoma due to too much unprotected exposure. I would not wish what happened to him and his family on even my worst enemies. I also have a few girlfriends who now have scars on their once-beautiful faces from having cancer cells cut out of their faces because they did too much time in the sun and in the parlors getting that fatal "base tan."

Tanning bed tans always look very fake to me. Just go for the self-tanners/spray tan. No one is going to look away in horror because you are perfectly tanned. Think about your future, not your now...

Just back from our cruise. My wife has pasty white porcelain skin. We used (liberally and often) equate brand SPF 60 sport sunblock. Cheap and available at Wal Marts the world over. We neither one burned but both came home with a slight tint and glow from our 7 days in the Eastern Caribbean.

SUNBLOCK

SUNBLOCK

SUNBLOCK

:D;)

Lowest level tan, 6 min. at a time 3x/wk for 6 wks.

I asked the dermatologist about it & said if I didn't I BURN. But this way I don't (I still do 50 SPF on the cruise). He said while he doesn't condone tanning beds, getting burnt (and potentially ruining ones vacation) is no better, so it seemed the lesser of 2 evils.

But the last time I did it, a spot on my face POPPED after 1 tan (age spot?:eek:) I decided that was no longer worth it. I have spent A LOT more time in the sun during summers (with SPF) at pool with kids & baseball games the last 15 years so seem to burn less.

Now I spray tan & use sunscreen liberally---still come home tan!

Weltek - I wear the swim tees from Land's End. I wear them over a bathing suit or over my tops when I go outdoors. I don't bother using sunscreen on my arms. These shirts work great. I would not be without them. The spring Land's End catalogs should be coming out soon. Check these out.

Lowest level tan, 6 min. at a time 3x/wk for 6 wks.

I asked the dermatologist about it & said if I didn't I BURN. But this way I don't (I still do 50 SPF on the cruise). He said while he doesn't condone tanning beds, getting burnt (and potentially ruining ones vacation) is no better, so it seemed the lesser of 2 evils.

But the last time I did it, a spot on my face POPPED after 1 tan (age spot?:eek:) I decided that was no longer worth it. I have spent A LOT more time in the sun during summers (with SPF) at pool with kids & baseball games the last 15 years so seem to burn less.

Now I spray tan & use sunscreen liberally---still come home tan!

This is me EXACTLY! I made sure I had a tan base on my first two cruises. When my first tan/age spot appeared, I decided tanning was no longer worth it. What can I say? My teenage years were the late 60s/early 70s when we slathered on the baby oil and sunbathed on tin roofs. Sheesh!

60 year old skin is still 60 year old skin, but I haven't needed anything removed yet. High SPF sunscreen with self-tanner, sunglasses and a hat make me feel better even if I don't look better.

I really want to thank you for this. I was a huge tanner for years. Then I lost too many people to cancer. I can just wear a ton of sunscreen and a rash guard and find umbrellas. Thank you!!!!

Forgive me but it's sometimes difficult to interpret the printed word... I'm not sure if you are serious or sarcastic with this latest post, but I am hoping you are serious. I am a cancer survivor and speak from years of literally frying my skin on the beach with baby oil (I know, I know) - it is only by the grace of God that I am alive today.

Please take care of your skin. I choose to think of myself as having "porcelain skin", not the pasty look. :p;) Since my cancer diagnosis and treatment, I have been extra vigilant in my sun care, yet we have not stopped cruising to sunny destinations. I put on SPF 60, wear a cute medium-brimmed hat, and sit in the shade whenever possible.

Life is precious and short, as you know. You say you have lost many people to cancer. It's affected everyone, whether someone has it or has a family member or loved one with it... it's just all around us.

Have an excellent Caribbean cruise and enjoy yourself! :)

No actually- I used to be a year round tanner and have never tanned specifically for an occasion. Sorry if my questioned bothered you.

Your question did not "bother" me, but I stand by what I said. You are asking strangers if you have enough time to get a base tan but there are too many things that only you can answer.

You're cruising in 9 days, but when are you leaving for your cruise? And what is your schedule at home like? If you aren't leaving til the day of the cruise and have plenty of free time to stagger your visits and adhere to the waiting period needed between them, perhaps you have time to visit 8 times. On the other hand, if you're leaving in 7 or 8 days and work full time or have other obligations, you may only be able to squeeze in 2 or 3 visits. Then, as for how many visits you need, no one here knows how quickly you tan in a tanning bed. So again, no one here can really answer your "do I have time to get a base tan" question any better than you can yourself. :confused:

just my two cents from a very fair-skinned lady...

I used to get a"base" tan at the tanning salon before cruises or before our "season" at the Jersey shore. I now find it easier (and safer) to use self or spray tanners. One self tanner I really like are Tan Towels. Simply exfoliate before applying. After a couple of applications they give a nice glow so I am no longer pasty. I get them at Kohl's, but I am sure they are available at Ulta, etc.

So here is what I thought would happen- I really thought people would post and tell me how to get golden.

So I went to the tanning salon- I seriously could not even get out of my car having gone through what I have seen. I wanted to be sexy golden but I could not make myself get out of the car.

Unexpected stop- I buy a straw hat and sun block specifically for my head and scalp.

Thank you!

..So I went to the tanning salon- I seriously could not even get out of my car having gone through what I have seen. I wanted to be sexy golden but I could not make myself get out of the car.

So glad to hear this. You may have just prolonged your own life, and I'm NOT being dramatic in any way. There is no such thing as a "safe tan".

You'll have a great time! Porcelain is beautiful! :);)

So here is what I thought would happen- I really thought people would post and tell me how to get golden.

So I went to the tanning salon- I seriously could not even get out of my car having gone through what I have seen. I wanted to be sexy golden but I could not make myself get out of the car.

Unexpected stop- I buy a straw hat and sun block specifically for my head and scalp.

Thank you!

So glad to hear you heard those of us on our soapboxes! Technology has advanced so many things - and being able to abandon the tanning beds in favor of the new good-quality self-tanners for the "base tan" is one of them.

So glad to hear that you changed your mind! Tanning beds are deadly. I was diagnosed with melanoma for the first time at only 23. I have had two more since then and over fifteen surgeries to remove those and pre-cancerous lesions. I live my life in the shadow of melanoma. It happens faster than you think and it's not always a simple matter of just getting it cut off.

Edited by Sonosinger

Thank you all so much- on either side of the issue because goodness knows I have been on both sides! I have recently witnessed loved ones mortality and am coming to accept my own. So if you happen to be on the Fantasy next week and are blinded by my pastiness- you have been warned to wear sunglasses at all times:-)