Room Service Breakfast

SonnekeH

Last cruise I ordered dinner off of the main dining room menu and was told that they could not deliver it before 6:15-6:30 PM. I understood this as I figured that they do not have the first entrees out much before that time for the MDR and the process really cannot be interrupted for one order.

Used the door hanging menus a few times on our last HAL cruise. We always got a phone call to say breakfast was on its way. Which gave us time to put a dressing gown on and be ready to open the door when the knock came.

Yes, always give a tip, $2 is usually fine for a simple breakfast. They always brought our breakfast with a smile, which looked genuine.

Hapicruisin

I have read multiple multiple times that these things are not covered in HSC because not everyone makes use of them:

ROOM SERVICE

Children's club

Concierge and butler

Spa services (added to bill)

Bar service (added to bill).

I think that is all, someone else with a longer sailing history can confirm.

We tip $2 for a light breakfast, $3-4 for more food. If we ever just ordered coffee, might tip $1 but if I only want coffee I take my travel cup and go get it.

I have read multiple multiple times that these things are not covered in HSC because not everyone makes use of them:

ROOM SERVICE

Children's club

Concierge and butler

We tip $2 for a light breakfast, $3-4 for more food. If we ever just ordered coffee, might tip $1 but if I only want coffee I take my travel cup and go get it.

There are no butlers on Hal.

ROOM SERVICE

Children's club

Concierge and butler

I expect you read that on boards for other lines. I can't recall seeing anything like that posted on the HAL board, especially "multiple times".

We have run into problems trying to order breakfast too close to a port debarkation time, e.g., ordering breakfast at 7:30 for a HMC arrival at 8:00. Everyone else does the same thing and they get behind.

We always order the night before and usually request an hour and a half before a busy debarkation. That way we always have a leisurely breakfast on the verandah.

Perhaps it is my imagination but I believe the room service steward in our area is more punctual when we leave generous tips. I have no idea how they are able to handle those heavy trays (we tend to order large breakfasts).

Rogerjett - I think I love you. Your .pdfs have been so helpful for me!

My son is very excited about room service breakfast!

What is the earliest delivery time?

(We are in Maryland & I am up at 4:00 a.m. for work, so the time zone differences will have us in the early bird crowd.)

we always give a couple bucks. extra. (I also give extra to the cabin attendants - I cruise with a messy boy.)

Edited by TheCalicoCat

ROOM SERVICE

Children's club

Concierge and butler

You didn't read that information this HAL board.

The room service people also work in the main dining room and the Lido so they do get some of the Hotel Service Charge. But many of us still tip whenever we have anything delivered to the cabin.

HAL has never had butlers.

(We are in Maryland & I am up at 4:00 a.m. for work, so the time zone differences will have us in the early bird crowd.)

we always give a couple bucks. extra. (I also give extra to the cabin attendants - I cruise with a messy boy.)

Room service is 24/7. I recently had a full breakfast delivered at 5

We do room service on early riser port days and also scenic cruising days. HAL looks like they provide a lot of options, no starchy like pancakes/waffles though. Many of your standard items are write in on Royal Caribbean. Always had to write in bran muffins & stewed prunes. In fact on our last Royal Cruise, we had a hard time finding prunes. So, I'm happy to see it as an offering on HAL.

On a recent cruise on Royal Caribbean in a suite, we saw two room service menus: one just continental items, and one with country breakfast w/ their eggs and bacon, sausage etc.

Do they phone you when they're about to make a room service delivery?

We figure room service tipping into the cash we bring on a cruise.

We will be on HAL in Europe in June, we plan on having room service breakfast at least once. Would it be ok to tip in euros or would US dollars be expected

thanks Deb

US dollars would be preferred if you have them, as that is the ship currency. Your steward would be able to deposit it into his ship account without going through a conversion process first. Since stewards get little time ashore they might not have much opportunity to spend Euros.

However, since you are not from the US, so may not have US dollars, and since you are going early in the season, Euros would work. The stewards are more likely to have an opportunity to spend, or trade off the Euros with someone who is going ashore.

We tip in the currency that we happen to have. Our RCI Australian cruise had USD as the ships currency. We were not about to get USD simply to tip. We used our remaining NZ dollars.

I suspect they care more about the value than they do about the currency. We certainly would not bother to take USD to Europe simply for tipping.

We tip in the currency that we happen to have. Our RCI Australian cruise had USD as the ships currency. We were not about to get USD simply to tip. We used our remaining NZ dollars.

I suspect they care more about the value than they do about the currency. We certainly would not bother to take USD to Europe simply for tipping.

Make's sense to me. On port days, we see a lot of crew going ashore. They may not be able to go ashore in each port, but they'll eventually get a day off. Our Asst Waiter went ashore to use the WiFi.

A crew member who is a facebook friend saved all his tips in all non-US currencies and posted a photo of it all when he went on leave.:D He didn't mind at all taking it to his local bank to be exchanged and was very happy with the final tally and posted photos of the rather large purchase he made from it.

We usually order coffee and fruit from room service in the AM.

A number of cruise lines that we have been on call our cabin about 5-10 minutes prior to knocking on the door with our order. We find this very convenient. Cannot remember if HAL does this.

Edited by iancal

We will be on HAL in Europe in June, we plan on having room service breakfast at least once. Would it be ok to tip in euros or would US dollars be expected

thanks Deb

Tips in any currency are gladly accepted. Since the cruise will be in Europe, Euros might be appreciated for spending in port.

My DW is also an early riser and having Room Service knock on our door (actually ring our wireless doorbell) at 4:00 AM would not make me a happy camper for the day.

I fill a thermos with hot coffee for her before I retire each evening and place it in the bathroom for her later consumption on our verandah.