Which cruise line would you use on a Australia/New Zealand cruise?

We have booked 2 cruises with Princess for 2017. One is a Sydney return to New Zealand for 13 days and the other is a Sydney return circumvention of Australia for 29 days. Big draw for us is AUS$ onboard as the CDN is at only $0.68 to the USD presently and no sign it is going to improve any time soon. Luckily we booked our cruise in CDN$

Sounds like a wonderful trip and 42 days is awesome. It will be good for you as your $CDN has parity to our $AUD, but be prepared for higher expenses as the cost of living is higher in many parts of Australia than in Canada.

...but be prepared for higher expenses as the cost of living is higher in many parts of Australia than in Canada.

Yes, we had already figured the higher cost of living in Australia into our budget but the USD/CDN$ thing caught us by surprise. Luckily we are only 4 nights (2 each way) in Honolulu where we will be paying USD. We were thinking 6 nights (3 each way) initially but decided that 1 day of no travel each way between Alberta and Australia will be OK.

I was also on that cruise and agree with you regarding how many children were on that cruise. They were everywhere.

I hadn't cruised on the Radiance for some time and I thought she looked a bit run down.

Elaine.

I thought I was safe booking early December to avoid the children but I was wrong. I did thoroughly enjoy the cruise though but I do think too many children detract from the cruise experience particularly when I as an adult went out of my way to avoid the school holidays.

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. I have just one question at the moment.

If everything works out and there are no major life surprises, we will be going when we will be in our early 40's(just a few years from now). Will we fit in with all the other cruisers on Celebrity? I have done some research and it seems they cater to the older crowd while Princess has older people on it too, but there are also younger couples and some kids(a mix of ages). At least what I have seen.

Or maybe it just doesn't matter. I don't know. I just don't want to stick out. I hope I am making sense. Lol

It's all about a once in a lifetime trip right? All about the itinerary? Does it really matter what the ages are of the other clientele onboard?

If everything works out and there are no major life surprises, we will be going when we will be in our early 40's(just a few years from now). Will we fit in with all the other cruisers on Celebrity? I have done some research and it seems they cater to the older crowd while Princess has older people on it too, but there are also younger couples and some kids(a mix of ages). At least what I have seen.

Or maybe it just doesn't matter. I don't know. I just don't want to stick out. I hope I am making sense. Lol

It's all about a once in a lifetime trip right? All about the itinerary? Does it really matter what the ages are of the other clientele onboard?

Celebrity is certainly not old. It is young and trendy sophisticates that go.

IMO, on average X is younger than Princess but older than RCL. However, the length, timing and itinerary of a cruise is the real determinate as to what the average age is. Either way, you will find people your age on any of the lines.:D

Definitely not Princess then, as it is a cruise and cruise ship that many older Australian go on. Celebrity is a younger clientele and you will not stand out, but if you looking at lots of thing to do on cruise day RCL will suit you much better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought I was safe booking early December to avoid the children but I was wrong. I did thoroughly enjoy the cruise though but I do think too many children detract from the cruise experience particularly when I as an adult went out of my way to avoid the school holidays.

Always more kids early December.

Most private schools break up a bit early.

Many parents will take kids out of school a week or two before end if year to avoid peak season (and higher fares).

Edited by GUT2407

In my experience with Celebrity, you'll be just about smack in the middle of the age range.

On most Princess you'd be the babies.

Mrs Fut and I have Ben sailing Princess for about 12 years now, and have always been in the bottom 25% of the age range (we're now mid 50s), though to be fair our cruises are getting longer which always bumps the age.

IMO, on average X is younger than Princess but older than RCL. However, the length, timing and itinerary of a cruise is the real determinate as to what the average age is. Either way, you will find people your age on any of the lines.:D

As usual spot on.

Based on my last Celebrity Solstice cruise 2 years ago (and keeping in mind that the standards of ALL cruise lines are now quickly going DOWN - with lower entry price to fill the growing number of cabins and more extras) - I would strongly recommend Celebrity as the best one IF:

- you don't care about the movies under stars on Princess but instead consider good an interesting food (and wine) as important - Celebrity spends a bit more per head on food than other cruise lines

- you like good size cabins (even interior)

- you appreciate very good service from crew, who are generally happier then on the Celebrity sister company Royal Caribbean - and it shows, with more attention to little details (e.g cloth hand towels and attendants in the bathrooms during peak times)

- you enjoy more modern and 'trendy' decor, compared to Princess

- you are happy to see a greater proportion of people in their 30's and 40's than on some Princess cruises - and more US and Canadian pax on Aust & NZ cruises (with more English people on Princess)

- you are aware that all cheaper and shorter cruises generally attract more younger people and that there will be more kids during Aust school holidays

- you don't mind paying a little more than for Princess

Definitely not Princess then, as it is a cruise and cruise ship that many older Australian go on. Celebrity is a younger clientele and you will not stand out, but if you looking at lots of thing to do on cruise day RCL will suit you much better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the above is our experience also. On Princess we felt like new kids on the block and we're in our mid 60s. Have never seen as many zimmer frames and scooters on Princess compared to other lines.

However, in conversation with our fellow cruisers we found that most were pensioners and Princess was best value-for-money to them, and I would have to agree with that.

Carnival, as previously mentioned, seemed to be the family pick. Have never seen so many muffin tops and tats as on that cruise.

Celebrity seem to have retained a little more class than the others.

After seeing the positive reports on Solstice, we're looking forward to cruising on her this July and we'll be able to compare her with Millennium, Infinity and Century.

Based on my last Celebrity Solstice cruise 2 years ago (and keeping in mind that the standards of ALL cruise lines are now quickly going DOWN - with lower entry price to fill the growing number of cabins and more extras) - I would strongly recommend Celebrity as the best one IF:

- you don't care about the movies under stars on Princess but instead consider good an interesting food (and wine) as important - Celebrity spends a bit more per head on food than other cruise lines

- you like good size cabins (even interior)

- you appreciate very good service from crew, who are generally happier then on the Celebrity sister company Royal Caribbean - and it shows, with more attention to little details (e.g cloth hand towels and attendants in the bathrooms during peak times)

- you enjoy more modern and 'trendy' decor, compared to Princess

- you are happy to see a greater proportion of people in their 30's and 40's than on some Princess cruises - and more US and Canadian pax on Aust & NZ cruises (with more English people on Princess)

- you are aware that all cheaper and shorter cruises generally attract more younger people and that there will be more kids during Aust school holidays

- you don't mind paying a little more than for Princess

I disagree with much of this.

Food is of course subjective, but find celebrity and princess much of a muchness in this department.

Can't really say about size of interior cabins, but our balcony cabins have Ben much of a muchness in size.

Decor, mmmm for me it's wood and brass over chrome and glass, so I'm not sure, but found both nice.

And I find the two lines charge pretty similar, I don't think it will make a big difference to OP, but down under Celebrity (andRCI) charge US$ Princess AUS$.

the above is our experience also. On Princess we felt like new kids on the block and we're in our mid 60s. Have never seen as many zimmer frames and scooters on Princess compared to other lines.

I was trying to work out a way to describe the above and you said it so well. There was also a fair few oxygen tanks on ours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Celebrity cabins and balconies in particular are larger and nicer than Princess. I think of Celebrity as modern luxury and Princess more old worldly. Food may be ahead on Princess. Service - have had great service with Celebrity and Princess. Curious that you think Celebrity caters to older people more than Princess - definitely not the case at all.

I disagree with much of this.

Food is of course subjective, but find celebrity and princess much of a muchness in this department.

Can't really say about size of interior cabins, but our balcony cabins have Ben much of a muchness in size.

Decor, mmmm for me it's wood and brass over chrome and glass, so I'm not sure, but found both nice.

And I find the two lines charge pretty similar, I don't think it will make a big difference to OP, but down under Celebrity (andRCI) charge US$ Princess AUS$.

A few points -

X cabins are bigger than Princess cabins in similar categories.

X and Princess may charge similar but X has the drinks package which for a lot of people (not you of course as you only drink Soda) is a big on board expense.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

A few points -

X cabins are bigger than Princess cabins in similar categories.

X and Princess may charge similar but X has the drinks package which for a lot of people (not you of course as you only drink Soda) is a big on board expense.:D

However Celebrity have the Big, Better, Best deals so you can usually get a drinks package included and the price is then similar to Princess (which also has a drinks package these days).

I think itinerary, length of cruise, and time of cruise can make quite a difference. If I read the OPs post correctly they are only planning to do an NZ cruise. I haven't done an NZ cruise on Princess so aren't sure what the demographic is. Certainly Solstice had a very wide age range but that was a Christmas cruise.

A lot depends on what the OP expects on a cruise, particularly on sea days. NZ cruises can have quite cool weather so if they like hanging out around a pool then they should choose a ship with an indoor pool. Will they want the sort of activities found on the RCCL ships - ice skating, rock climbing, mini-golf, flow-riders? Neither Princess or Celebrity have those sorts of activities.

Hard to pick on food and wine - I think Princess has slightly better food and more variety, but Celebrity has better wines.

OzKiwiJJ,

We are hoping to see both Australia/New Zealand. I hope I didn't confuse anyone by only saying only New Zealand?

As for the flow-riders and rock climbing, no. We arent into those kond of activities. Although I have done the rock climbing when I was in high school. Not anymore. :)

Pushka,

I have looked at cruises for years but have never been on one yet because of unexpected expenses (husband had surgery, needed a new used car, the list goes on). So this will be our first cruise. In fact it will be the first time out of the country. :D

Anyway, maybe it was the brochures or what people have told me. I have always thought that Celebrity was for older people. To learn that its not and Princess is. I'm shocked. Lol

I am reading the newer comments and I think Celebrity will win. My husband wants lots of room as he is a tall guy. :)

Oh and I forgot to give one tiny detail. We plan on at least getting a balcony. We are going all that way and dont want to miss a thing.