Cabin Service Decrease

Jana60

Might want to check your cruise contract on what you have a "right to". :rolleyes: The "survey" you mention also specifically says that you can choose both services. Relax, take a breath, enjoy.

That's what JH says, but it seems not everyone on board has gotten the memo.

But, okay, let's give JH the benefit of the doubt here and say there are a few kinks to work out. How long until the onboard surveys indicate both and stewards are communicating clearly and consistently? end of this month? 45 days? 90 days?

Here's a third option: internet zealots are lying to try saving their beloved twice daily cabin service.

But the point is they shouldn't need to "try" to save their beloved twice daily cabin service. As some have reported, this has been a wildly contested, frequently discussed subject, yet only two of you: #1) say that they were offered service twice daily and #2) berate others for demanding twice daily service!

How long until the onboard surveys indicate both and stewards are communicating clearly and consistently? end of this month? 45 days? 90 days?

Hope springs eternal. I don't know why John's followers would lie about the issue either. They already enjoy the Carnival experience and want to stay the course, is that so terrible?

But....why?! It's makes no sense to create such a lie.

Occam's Razor applies here.

Or maybe, just maybe it could be as simple as giving someone options. We cruise with many who party late and and sleep in. Being able to select once a day makes it easier for everyone, them, the room steward and maybe even old man Occam (either with or without his razor);).

That's what JH says, but it seems not everyone on board has gotten the memo.

But, okay, let's give JH the benefit of the doubt here and say there are a few kinks to work out. How long until the onboard surveys indicate both and stewards are communicating clearly and consistently? end of this month? 45 days? 90 days?

One would hope if that were to be the case, it would be get down to the troops rather quickly. At the end of the day, the room steward want to impress the client. It is in his (or her) best interest.

Hope springs eternal. I don't know why John's followers would lie about the issue either. They already enjoy the Carnival experience and want to stay the course, is that so terrible?

I too appreciate, value, and expect twice daily service for the room. It is part of what makes a cruise vacation a pleasure. It is nice to have fresh ice in the morning and evening. It is nice to have fresh towels to start the day with, and fresh towels for later on after exercise or the beach with which to get ready for dinner.

All the cruise lines charge roughly equivalent amounts per guest for daily services and all provide roughly equivalent levels of service; so why pay the same to get less? If Carnival wants to give me access to an ice machine and a room full of towels, and charge me half, that's something to consider and in line with a value oriented package. But to charge the same as others and give me half? No thank you. That's a bad deal.

The front line people in cruising are room stewards and dining room wait staff. Carnival must have identified big potential cost savings if they are willing to tinker with such a long standing successful formula.

One would hope if that were to be the case, it would be get down to the troops rather quickly. At the end of the day, the room steward want to impress the client. It is in his (or her) best interest.

Yes, the room steward is one of the top interaction points for guests and one of the most likely to receive additional cash tips. It is absolutely in their best interest to impress the guests.

It's not surprising that some stewards are trying to reduce their heavy workloads by suggesting that people must choose only one service, while others are making it clear that both is an option. They are human beings with different personalities, work ethics, and energy levels.

Any confusion could be avoided completely if every guest was given a form that had "Both" as an option. JH promised that would happen a few months ago. I assumed it would take some time to change over to new forms, but he didn't mention it in his most recent post.

I certainly know that I can call housekeeping if I need something, but I much prefer to come back to my clean cabin with dry, clean towels waiting for me. As a mom who cruises with three children, this is an important part of the cruising experience for me. It is actually the first thing on my first family cruise that made me realize that a cruise was actually a vacation for ME too. :) And, we are currently paying a minimum of $60/day in tips.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

Dear Carnival cruise line,

Are you guys just gluttons for punishment or are you trying to force people to change their opinions. You have for the third time issued a survey asking whether people want morning Cabin service, evening cabin service or both. The fact that almost 100% of the people responding say they want both and the fact that you continue to get complaints from people about this system should tell you that if you are insistent on forcing passengers to verbalize their choice carnival must do the following-- put all three choices on the card that you offer the passenger and all the other service options you are offering and let the passenger fill it out not the steward!

Where do you get the "almost 100%" of the passengers responding want twice a day. Did you get to see everyone's survey? I'd like to see that. Last few times this came up here, wanting both was popular but there were many that choose once a day including myself. Not even close to 100%. And although I personally haven't experienced this yet, my sister did and said she was definitely given the twice a day option by her room steward.

Edited by Podna's

It's not surprising that some stewards are trying to reduce their heavy workloads by suggesting that people must choose only one service, while others are making it clear that both is an option. They are human beings with different personalities, work ethics, and energy levels.

Any confusion could be avoided completely if every guest was given a form that had "Both" as an option. JH promised that would happen a few months ago. I assumed it would take some time to change over to new forms, but he didn't mention it in his most recent post.

I certainly know that I can call housekeeping if I need something, but I much prefer to come back to my clean cabin with dry, clean towels waiting for me. As a mom who cruises with three children, this is an important part of the cruising experience for me. It is actually the first thing on my first family cruise that made me realize that a cruise was actually a vacation for ME too. :)

While the "form" may make you feel better, I still have strong expectations that when we meet our room steward and I express I want both, I will get both. In 35 cruises, I have never experienced anything less.

As I sit here on the Pride, we had no card to fill out and we have everything that we had before. 2 turn downs per day, asked for ice, and everything else is the same as before.

At the risk of stealing the thread, how is your cruise aboard the Pride?

Unfortunately passengers are not given the choice of both they're given a choice of one or the other but Carnival claims that they can choose both. They are not believing the passengers when they tell them that they were told to choose one or the other. If we give carnival the benefit of the doubt, and assume that they are unaware that their stewards are forcing customers to choose one or the other that still doesn't explain why with multiple complaints they do not change the card to list all three choices.

We just got off the Sunshine Saturday. We had a “morning refresher” servicing of the stateroom, and “evening turndown” service –both – during the cruise as well as our request for an ice refill at those times. The Steward, Autut, was WONDERFUL !!!

Might want to check your cruise contract on what you have a "right to". :rolleyes: The "survey" you mention also specifically says that you can choose both services. Relax, take a breath, enjoy.

It doesn't matter whether the survey says you have a choice of both services, what matters is whether you're offered third check box on the actual cruise! And by the way there are many things that you have a right to on a cruise or in any other location that are not specifically mentioned in your beloved cruise contract. I'm not referring to rights that would require carnival to pay you your money back if they are not supplied. I'm referring to rights that would cause you to never cruise carnival again if those rights are taken away. I believe in transparency. If the passengers know that Carnival is taking away those amenities while other cruise lines continue these they will factor that into their decision of whether to cruise with them. Even though I am a stockholder and want Carnival to be successful I am also a passenger who would like to continue to enjoy a level of service with Carnival that is in the end their primary asset. When I am faced with people touting other cruise lines, I have always said that while carnival may not have flowriders, rock climbing walls, ice skating, and Broadway shows, they have the friendliest crew and the best service afloat! I want that statement to continue to be true!

Where do you get the "almost 100%" of the passengers responding want twice a day. Did you get to see everyone's survey? I'd like to see that. Last few times this came up here' date=' wanting both was popular but there were many that choose once a day including myself. Not even close to 100%. And although I personally haven't experienced this yet, my sister did and said she was definitely given the twice a day option by her room steward.[/quote']

There were three surveys. I read all of the results. Of all of the responses there were possibly 4 people per servey who opted for once daily cleaning. There were massively more then for responses who chose twice daily cleaning. Please feel free to go to that site and add up the responses yourself and report it if you desire. But I can tell by your response that you are reporting your desire for once per day cabin service. Thanks for participating and rendering your opinion!

Edited by Jana60

I don't find it surprising that experiences vary depending on the steward. It's just like our experience with seven different wait staffs in the same MDR on the same cruise, a fascinating experiment. One wait team had nearly every order wrong, one team completely forgot to clear our plates and offer dessert, the rest provided excellent service, and one team cut our children's meat and entertained them all meal.

Our experiences with different stewards have also varied over different cruises, from acceptable to outstanding. I would like the form with "both" as an option, just in case I get the steward who hates his job or is looking for little time off and wrongly marks us as cheapskates who won't tip extra for good service. :rolleyes: I would insist on two services, but I'd rather not have to.

It doesn't matter whether the survey says you have a choice of both services, what matters is whether you're offered third check box on the actual cruise! And by the way there are many things that you have a right to on a cruise or in any other location that are not specifically mentioned in your beloved cruise contract. I'm not referring to rights that would require carnival to pay you your money back if they are not supplied. I'm referring to rights that would cause you to never cruise carnival again if those rights are taken away. I believe in transparency. If the passengers know that Carnival is taking away those amenities while other cruise lines continue these they will factor that into their decision of whether to cruise with them. Even though I am a stockholder and want Carnival to be successful I am also a passenger who would like to continue to enjoy a level of service with Carnival that is in the end their primary asset. When I am faced with people touting other cruise lines, I have always said that while carnival may not have flowriders, rock climbing walls, ice skating, and Broadway shows, they have the friendliest crew and the best service afloat! I want that statement to continue to be true!

Careful at the end there you are starting to sound like me..... The point is they are not taking anything away, they are giving options. For the record the only right above you mentioned is your right to choose not to cruise them if you are dissatisfied, the rest are choices, theirs and yours. It is not my beloved cruise contract, it is what each one of us accept when we purchase a cruise. Lastly, the box means nothing, telling your room steward you want both (by the way I would as well) and getting it makes it a non issue which I have every expectation would happen. Again, relax, chill all is well....

There were three surveys. I read all of the results. Of all of the responses there were possibly 4 people per servey who opted for once daily cleaning. There were massively more then for responses who chose twice daily cleaning. Please feel free to go to that site and add up the responses yourself and report it if you desire. But I can tell by your response that you are reporting your desire for once per day cabin service. Thanks for participating and rendering your opinion!

That's why I asked. I'd love to see these surveys myself. What site are you referring to?

I don't find it surprising that experiences vary depending on the steward. It's just like our experience with seven different wait staffs in the same MDR on the same cruise, a fascinating experiment. One wait team had nearly every order wrong, one team completely forgot to clear our plates and offer dessert, the rest provided excellent service, and one team cut our children's meat and entertained them all meal.

Our experiences with different stewards have also varied over different cruises, from acceptable to outstanding. I would like the form with "both" as an option, just in case I get the steward who hates his job or is looking for little time off and wrongly marks us as cheapskates who won't tip extra for good service. :rolleyes: I would insist on two services, but I'd rather not have to.

I have never had to insist on anything with a room steward. I have no reason to believe that will change. In 30 Carnival cruises, I have had one (in a grand suite, not that it matters) who was acceptable, all others excelled in their performance.

I think that makes four in a row. In my Al Michael imitation voice: do you believe in miracles???? YES :)

The question is four what in a row? Some of you are saying you were not given a choice at all and so are not concerned. Some of you are saying that you don't think that anyone should be given the choice because anything to keep prices down is okay with you. And only one of you report that you were specifically asked if you wanted both morning and evening service of your cabin. When we have a little further response here I think you will find there are a lot of people who would still like that third check box!

Edited by Jana60

Since the staff involved is compensated by tips I fail to see how this helps significantly to keep the cruise price low.

As speculated by this poster below to control labor cost and streamline staff productivity. Increase bottom line without the need to increase cruise price and risk losing their competitive price edge in the market. I am all for it.

Your fear is legitimate! You know that Carnival is not trying to decrease the workload of their stewards to actually decrease their workload! They either wish to hire fewer stewards or put them to work in other areas adding to their current job description.
Edited by sfaaa