Cabin Service Decrease

Jana60

The question is four what in a row? Some of you are saying you were not given a choice at all and so are not concerned. Some of you are saying that you don't think that anyone should be given the choice because anything to keep prices down is okay with you. And only one of you report that you were specifically ask if you wanted both morning and evening service of your cabin. When we have a little further response here I think you will find there are a lot of people who would still like that third check box!

Maybe you should start a couple polls on here. One for what people want but haven't necessarily sailed yet with the new way. And one where people have and what they were asked.

The question is four what in a row? Some of you are saying you were not given a choice at all and so are not concerned. Some of you are saying that you don't think that anyone should be given the choice because anything to keep prices down is okay with you. And only one of you report that you were specifically asked if you wanted both morning and evening service of your cabin. When we have a little further response here I think you will find there are a lot of people who would still like that third check box!

4 as in people who said they got both. I did not even get a reference to my Al Michael line:confused:

Careful at the end there you are starting to sound like me..... The point is they are not taking anything away, they are giving options. For the record the only right above you mentioned is your right to choose not to cruise them if you are dissatisfied, the rest are choices, theirs and yours. It is not my beloved cruise contract, it is what each one of us accept when we purchase a cruise. Lastly, the box means nothing, telling your room steward you want both (by the way I would as well) and getting it makes it a non issue which I have every expectation would happen. Again, relax, chill all is well....

If the passenger is not made aware that they can choose both then they are effectively denied the choice. When you go to a doctor's office you will be presented with a form that informs you you have a right to privacy and you must sign that form acknowledging that you are aware of your right to privacy. The reason they started requiring that form was not because the patient did not have a right to privacy. The patients have a right to privacy whether they sign a form acknowledging that or not but if they are unaware that they have a right to privacy, they have effectively been denied that right! In the same manner if passengers are not made aware of their choices then they have been denied them!

Edited by Jana60

If the passenger is not made aware that they can choose both then they are effectively denied the choice. When you go to a doctor's office you will be presented with a form that informs you you have a right to privacy and you must sign that form acknowledging that you are aware of your right to privacy. The reason they started requiring that form was not because the patient did not have a right to privacy but because if they were unaware that they had a right to privacy it had effectively been denied them! In the same manner if passengers are not made aware of their choices then they have been denied them!

I hate analogies.....that said, let me throw a hypothetical.... You go on a cruise, after going to your room, you meet your cabin steward, he (or she) says, do you want your cabin cleaned morning, afternoon or (here comes the kicker) both. You reply (again hypothetical) both. Everyone is happy.

4 as in people who said they got both. I did not even get a reference to my Al Michael line:confused:

But the key point is that three of those four people we're not offered any other choice. They were automatically given twice daily cabin service. I am glad that in the absence of being given a choice that they were given twice daily cabin service but that does not change the fact that when a choice is offered it is offered on a form that gives two choices and does not make it clear that it is allowed to choose both.

We were on dream when they piloted the program and NEVER saw a survey. WE still received 2x/day service but no bathrobes.

On the Sunshine last week we did not see a survey but also got 2x service, 2x ice, AND got bathrobes too :D:D

Edited by summersigh

I hate analogies.....that said, let me throw a hypothetical.... You go on a cruise, after going to your room, you meet your cabin steward, he (or she) says, do you want your cabin cleaned morning, afternoon or (here comes the kicker) both. You reply (again hypothetical) both. Everyone is happy.

Yes - that would be ideal for everyone. It's when Carnival disguises the choices on the form to make it seem like you can only choose one or the other where there starts to be a problem.

I think that makes four in a row. In my Al Michael imitation voice: do you believe in miracles???? YES :)

To be fair, that's because this new survey/hospitality program has only been rolled out on a few ships. If you weren't asked which option you wanted (regardless of whether you offered once a day or twice a day service) then the program isn't on that ship.

I thought this situation was just a few people whose stewards just made a simple mistake, but after reading the comments on John Heald's FB post, it's clear that there's a big miscommunication somewhere. Especially the volume of comments from people who are currently on the Dream.

Exactly but as long is there continue to be even a few people reporting that that last "or both" was not stated then we continue to have a problem. As I have previously stated that problem is easily solved by simply adding that third check box and having the passengers sign the card acknowledging their choices. Do you really think it is preferable to call your customers a liar as opposed to simply adding that third check box?

Edited by Jana60

Yes - that would be ideal for everyone. It's when Carnival disguises the choices on the form to make it seem like you can only choose one or the other where there starts to be a problem.

LOL, yeah that happens all the time.... and Area 51 had aliens.....and there was another shooter on the grassy knoll and AL gore discovered the internet. All of which are really interesting except you missed the point. The form is meaningless. IS it a new contract they have.:confused: BY the way, "disguises is an interesting choice of a word

Edited by jimbo5544

LOL, yeah that happens all the time.... and Area 51 had aliens.....and there was another shooter on the grassy knoll and AL gore discovered the internet. All of which are really interesting except you missed the point. The form is meaningless. IS it a new contract they have.:confused:

If I check both and only get one than I wouldn't complain to corporate, I would make my feelings known on the ship. If it continued throughout the cruise even after I've elevated it then I would have to do what I've never done (and hope that I never have to do), which is adjust the gratuities. Whether any of that represents a "contract" is irrelevant.

LOL, yeah that happens all the time.... and Area 51 had aliens.....and there was another shooter on the grassy knoll and AL gore discovered the internet. All of which are really interesting except you missed the point. The form is meaningless. IS it a new contract they have.:confused: BY the way, "disguises is an interesting choice of a word

I reiterate that if you have even a few people say they were not given the choice then you continue to have a problem but it is a problem easily solved by simply inserting some accountability into the system by having a card that has 3 check boxes and having a space for the customer's signature acknowledging their choices. Is this a hassle for the cruise line? Certainly! But it's a hassle of their own choosing as they were the ones to start this new system.

Edited by Jana60

If I check both and only get one than I wouldn't complain to corporate, I would make my feelings known on the ship. If it continued throughout the cruise even after I've elevated it then I would have to do what I've never done (and hope that I never have to do), which is adjust the gratuities. Whether any of that represents a "contract" is irrelevant.

I was actually making a pun on a previous post. I understand that it is not a contract.

You really should read the comments on John Heald's FB post. Lots of people are saying they asked for twice daily service and their stewards told them that twice daily was not an option. Some of those people are currently on the Dream, so I doubt they're lying, since they're using their real names and can easily be found on board by Guest Services.

You really should read the comments on John Heald's FB post. Lots of people are saying they asked for twice daily service and their stewards told them that twice daily was not an option. Some of those people are currently on the Dream, so I doubt they're lying, since they're using their real names and can easily be found on board by Guest Services.

I will take your word for it, I will also take John's word. If it is a problem (currently) it will be corrected.

I was actually making a pun on a previous post. I understand that it is not a contract.

Ooops, my bad:o.

I will take your word for it, I will also take John's word. If it is a problem (currently) it will be corrected.

I think that is what everyone is hoping for.

Hopefully they will correct it by clearly stating the option on a card and requiring passenger signature acknowledging the choice. Because the only other action that will solve the problem would be to do away with the choice entirely and go back to twice daily cabin service unless it is specifically refused by the passenger. Personally I think they should have never tried to make this change. It simply became an "option" for the employee or carnival to decrease service to passengers and they never should have opened that can of worms! If they are willing to add the appropriate check boxes and signatures for accountability then I actually believe it is an excellent option to make passengers aware of their choices but it does add to the paperwork of the cabin stewards and ships. Quite frankly I'm a pretty quick housekeeper in my own home and I could clean the cabin on Carnival, refill the ice container, hang a robe in the closet, and put out fresh towels and water glasses faster then I could go down a checklist with small print to determine the choices of the passenger. But it was carnivals choice to institute this new program and so now it is their responsibility to make it accountable.

Edited by Jana60

How many posts are you going to make about the same whiney complaint?

As I have said before, I have sailed since the change and was personally and directly told by my steward I could choose morning, evening or both. I don't know how clearer I can make it.

It apparently matters not as you will continue to spout off about how unhappy you are about it. Have at it if it somehow is cathartic for you.

Whether the cabin is serviced once, twice or thrice if you need something, housekeeping is a phone call away. That fact seems to be lost on those so concerned they won't get ice or fresh towels.

When the final changes comes and cabins are serviced once a day constituting the amenity offered, those who try adjusting the DSC for some perceived shortcoming in service will appear just as petty as they do now.

If this does in fact come to pass as a "cutback" to control costs and keep cruise fares affordable to sustain capacity, I personally would be fine with it and not blink an eye.

Those that make it such an issue are free to continue boo-hooing but will likely have to chose just how vital this is to their patronage to Carnival.

The typical cheerleader answer. "It didn't happen to me, so. . . " I have sailed since the change, also. I was offered both; another couple at our dining table was not made the offer. They were told one or the other. So what you have said before is nothing more than your single experience, that's all you have made clear.

And for all of you who say that there is a check box for both morning or evening (so choose both), without a check box for both it gives the impression of one or the other.

Unless the third box is added, it remains deceptive.

In the case of stockholders like myself that video should be accompanied by an immediate sell order of all your Carnival stock to your stock broker. When all is said and done money talks!

So sad....you do not own shares of Carnival Cruise Lines. No one does.

There were three surveys. I read all of the results. Of all of the responses there were possibly 4 people per servey who opted for once daily cleaning. There were massively more then for responses who chose twice daily cleaning. Please feel free to go to that site and add up the responses yourself and report it if you desire. But I can tell by your response that you are reporting your desire for once per day cabin service. Thanks for participating and rendering your opinion!

You must've accidentally overlooked my reply asking what site can I go to to see these survey results myself. I'd love to see them.

I like having both serviced. But what ever the survey is , Carnival has an agenda for it. But if they want true feedback , then it needs to come from the customers. Not all new people read the contracts and what is included. I mean the majority of the stewards wages come from people who tip. Now I would not remove the tip. But Carnival is trying to get rid of more people and cabin stewards take on more.

And this can make it bad for the people doing the job. They work hard and long enough hours. The people who think up these things are in a comfortable position and have not worked in the cabin steward positions. They don't even take the heat for what abuse they get from passengers. I appreciate all the work they do. I mean you can only push workers so far also. They are human after all and have feelings as well.

I just went to Carnival's website and when you book with them your room includes:

24–hour room service

24–hour room steward

Soft, cozy linens (Carnival Comfort Collection®)

Personal safe for valuables

Nightly turndown service

Plenty of closet and drawer space

Private bathroom and shower

Television

Individual climate control

Telephone

So if your steward becomes surly and says (no you have to choose) you do have a "leg" to stand on if you want nightly turn down service.

I think the "up in arms" about this issue is a bit much, but opponents of the change are perfectly within their rights to fight for what they believe is correct. Hopefully people can be "nice" when correcting a steward...you get a better response with honey than you do with vinegar.

I just spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for the many post on JH's page you speak of. How far back do I have to go. I easily went through over 100 and didn't see one yet. Not doubting you but would like to read these post.

I just spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for the many post on JH's page you speak of. How far back do I have to go. I easily went through over 100 and didn't see one yet. Not doubting you but would like to read these post.

It's on yesterday morning's postings by JH.

Edited by sanmarcosman