10 day Mexican cruise on the Ruby March 14 transportation options

veggie59

We haven't sailed out of California before and I'm not sure what to do. Looks like we would fly into LAX? And the cruises out of San Pedro?. If we fly out a few days early is it better to stay closer to the airport or the cruise terminal? Does anyone know of any hotels that are OK and also provide shuttles? Any hotels that are in areas where there's things to do without extra transportation and are reasonably priced of course LOL thanks!

We haven't sailed out of California before and I'm not sure what to do. Looks like we would fly into LAX? And the cruises out of San Pedro?. If we fly out a few days early is it better to stay closer to the airport or the cruise terminal? Does anyone know of any hotels that are OK and also provide shuttles? Any hotels that are in areas where there's things to do without extra transportation and are reasonably priced of course LOL thanks!

Close to the port in San Pedro are The Crown Plaza and The Hilton Doubletree. I believe both would provide transportation to the ship, however not sure if they airport transportation (you can take Prime Time or Super Shuttle otherwise). Hope this helps.

We are on the same sailing!

Close to the port in San Pedro are The Crown Plaza and The Hilton Doubletree. I believe both would provide transportation to the ship, however not sure if they airport transportation (you can take Prime Time or Super Shuttle otherwise). Hope this helps.

We are on the same sailing!

Thanks i will check them out!! We are possibly flying in 2 days early and might stay 2 days after. Wondering if there are more things to do closer to the airport or the cruise terminal?? Thanks.

Thanks i will check them out!! We are possibly flying in 2 days early and might stay 2 days after. Wondering if there are more things to do closer to the airport or the cruise terminal?? Thanks.

For stuff to do try looking at Long Beach to stay.

Lots of restaurants and hotels. Short cab ride to the pier. ;)

Is there a hotel that you could recommend that's decent and not overpriced. And any restaurants that may be vegan or have vegan food? Thanks

Take super shuttle or prime time from the airport to San Pedro or Long Beach. In San Pedro there is a Double Tree which is about a mile or so south or the pier an a Crown Plaza which is just a few blocks from S. Harbor Blvd.There is also a Best Western Sunrise hotel right on S. Harbor Blvd. All have free shuttles to the ship. I know the Doubletree has a local shuttle to restaurants in San Pedro. The Battleship Iowa is right in San Pedro an is a nice self tour, but you have to be able to go up and down steep stairways to get around the ship. There is a maritime museum and a Catalina Island Ferry terminal is right there also. There is public bus service over to Long Beach.

Long Beach has lots of hotels, high end and medium priced. There are plenty of restaurants. Shoreline village is a nice place and there is a trolley that goes there from downtown.

I can't comment on Vegetarian Restaurants, have no idea.

Is there a hotel that you could recommend that's decent and not overpriced. And any restaurants that may be vegan or have vegan food? Thanks

In San Pedro there is the Crown Plaze and the Doubletree

Long Beach we stay at the Hilton.

Hyatt

Queen Mary

Hilton

Westin

Renaissance

Courtyard Long Beach downtown

Take super shuttle or prime time from the airport to San Pedro or Long Beach. In San Pedro there is a Double Tree which is about a mile or so south or the pier an a Crown Plaza which is just a few blocks from S. Harbor Blvd.There is also a Best Western Sunrise hotel right on S. Harbor Blvd. All have free shuttles to the ship. I know the Doubletree has a local shuttle to restaurants in San Pedro. The Battleship Iowa is right in San Pedro an is a nice self tour, but you have to be able to go up and down steep stairways to get around the ship. There is a maritime museum and a Catalina Island Ferry terminal is right there also. There is public bus service over to Long Beach.

Long Beach has lots of hotels, high end and medium priced. There are plenty of restaurants. Shoreline village is a nice place and there is a trolley that goes there from downtown.

I can't comment on Vegetarian Restaurants, have no idea.

Thanks..... It isn't as easy to plan trips as it used to be lol.

In San Pedro there is the Crown Plaze and the Doubletree

Long Beach we stay at the Hilton.

Hyatt

Queen Mary

Hilton

Westin

Renaissance

Courtyard Long Beach downtown

Thanks!! We might do 2 days before and 2 days after the cruise. I was pricing a package but it doesn't let you add a hotel at both ends..,it is one or the other. Hmmm..

We haven't sailed out of California before and I'm not sure what to do. Looks like we would fly into LAX?

Look into flying Jet Blue. They fly from Boston to Long Beach (a non stop is available). Long beach Airport is much smaller than LAX and closer to the cruise terminals. Taxi's and shuttles are plentiful (also car rentals).

I would not stay by LAX.

Staying by the port will give you more options for nightlife, but you might want to think about what you want to do a few days early? Huntington Beach is awesome with a great downtown and restaurants. They do bon fire's on the beach and my family loves doing that at least one weekend a year. We are also Disney fans, so we have annual passes and stay either on property or close by and enjoy the nightlight in Downtown Disney (we are not local, so it's a treat for us).

The night before the cruise I would stay by the port so it's an easy morning to cruise embarkation.

Look into flying Jet Blue. They fly from Boston to Long Beach (a non stop is available). Long beach Airport is much smaller than LAX and closer to the cruise terminals. Taxi's and shuttles are plentiful (also car rentals).

Lol,,,thanks for the tip,,,,but that scenario is very limited for flights and much pricier. :(

I would not stay by LAX.

Staying by the port will give you more options for nightlife, but you might want to think about what you want to do a few days early? Huntington Beach is awesome with a great downtown and restaurants. They do bon fire's on the beach and my family loves doing that at least one weekend a year. We are also Disney fans, so we have annual passes and stay either on property or close by and enjoy the nightlight in Downtown Disney (we are not local, so it's a treat for us).

The night before the cruise I would stay by the port so it's an easy morning to cruise embarkation.

Thanks....we would probably like some night life, restaurants, and a little sightseeing. Any recommendations are appreciated for hotels and places to go.

Thanks....we would probably like some night life, restaurants, and a little sightseeing. Any recommendations are appreciated for hotels and places to go.

What interests you? Ideas---

Beach

Hollywood, Hollywood locations

Museums- either Getty, Tar Pits, either Presidential museum, gardens, Space Shuttle

Amusement parks,

hiking,

spelunking,

rappelling,

JPL

Battleships

Los Angeles is spread out and requires a car. Consider renting one. We do not have public transportation like the east coast and cabs are expensive. Our freeway system is wonderful and gets you where you want to go if you know how to get around. It is a freeway because we have no tolls.

Depending on what you want to do would dictate where you stay. Are you into museums or amusement parks, shopping or nature, we have it all. Do you have to see Beverly Hills and Rodeo Dr.?

Unlike Boston Los Angeles is humongous. You could drive 3 hours at 60 MPH on a freeway and still be in LA county. Also LA has every kind of food and a lot of vegan, you'll have no problem with that.

Edited by cruzsnooze

I agree with this poster, if you are planning on staying, Long Beach has much more to see and do, and some nice restaurants.

I agree with this poster, if you are planning on staying, Long Beach has much more to see and do, and some nice restaurants.

Was thinking maybe SP before cruise and LB after...but there are less airfare options out of LB and they are pricier. How far from LB to LAX? Thanks.

Google has 20 miles from LAX to SP or LB. And 6.6 miles from SP to LB. I Wish the flights from LB to Boston were cooperating lol.

Edited by veggie59

How is the Hyatt Centric in LB?? It seems to have better reviews than some others I checked that said questionable area. Hoping for somewhere without the need for a rental to get around and still be able to do a few things. Our anniversary is the day we return / dock from the cruise so I need to see if I can add a few days to the end of the cruise too. I am adding 2 days before to be sure we don't get stuck in Boston if there is snow like last year lol. A cruisers nightmare is getting stuck in an airport and not going anywhere.

I'm going to be on that cruise. Looking forward!

From LAX to Long Beach, it's twenty to forty minutes by car, depending on traffic. No big deal.

Forget public transportation. You will get depressed and wonder why anyone would ever want to live here. If your bus even arrives, that is..

If driving is not in the picture, what about Uber? Drivers are all over the metro area; we've never had to wait more than 11 minutes, and that was at an address way up in the hills -- usually it's 2 to 5 minutes. We've used Lyft as well, no difference. Easy, not expensive, and far, far nicer than any taxi.

The drivers are often interesting people -- we've had some fun conversations.

Uber recently received permission to service LAX. I would check out the app, if you don't have it already, since I'm not sure if they can pick up and drop off, or if it's just one of those.

Long Beach is definitely the choice for lodging. I can't name a vegan restaurant, but it's the kind of place that will have several. There is a walkable downtown, a rare bird in these parts. The beach is easily accessed. It's only ten minutes, approximately, from there to San Pedro.

I would take Uber or a shuttle from LAX to Long Beach, check into the hotel of your choice, and just walk around to get your bearings. The Aquarium was mentioned; worth seeing, especially if it's cloudy or raining (We take our rain seriously here -- what was an ordinary day of rain when I lived in New England is a "major winter storm" in LA). El Nino is on hand, and often the most severe storms come in February, March or even April, so check the forecasts.

LA is humungous -- there's no way to see it in any meaningful way without at least a week (ten days is better) and a car. Malibu Creek State Park, the Getty Museums (both of them), Santa Monica Promenade, Franklin Canyon, the La Brea Tar Pits, Topanga Canyon -- these are the places I like to take out-of-towners. To get a bit of perspective, all the named sites are on the "west side" of LA (although Franklin Canyon is arguably in the Valley, and Malibu is, well, in Malibu), yet it would take 30-40 minutes, more in traffic, to drive to Santa Monica, the closest destination from Long Beach. This time you will, hopefully, see Long Beach and San Pedro. Some other time, you'll see the rest of it. I moved out here years ago and have never regretted it.

Sorry for going on like this, but I love my city and want others to enjoy it too.

See you on board!

I'm going to be on that cruise. Looking forward!

From LAX to Long Beach, it's twenty to forty minutes by car, depending on traffic. No big deal.

Forget public transportation. You will get depressed and wonder why anyone would ever want to live here. If your bus even arrives, that is..

If driving is not in the picture, what about Uber? Drivers are all over the metro area; we've never had to wait more than 11 minutes, and that was at an address way up in the hills -- usually it's 2 to 5 minutes. We've used Lyft as well, no difference. Easy, not expensive, and far, far nicer than any taxi.

The drivers are often interesting people -- we've had some fun conversations.

Uber recently received permission to service LAX. I would check out the app, if you don't have it already, since I'm not sure if they can pick up and drop off, or if it's just one of those.

Long Beach is definitely the choice for lodging. I can't name a vegan restaurant, but it's the kind of place that will have several. There is a walkable downtown, a rare bird in these parts. The beach is easily accessed. It's only ten minutes, approximately, from there to San Pedro.

I would take Uber or a shuttle from LAX to Long Beach, check into the hotel of your choice, and just walk around to get your bearings. The Aquarium was mentioned; worth seeing, especially if it's cloudy or raining (We take our rain seriously here -- what was an ordinary day of rain when I lived in New England is a "major winter storm" in LA). El Nino is on hand, and often the most severe storms come in February, March or even April, so check the forecasts.

LA is humungous -- there's no way to see it in any meaningful way without at least a week (ten days is better) and a car. Malibu Creek State Park, the Getty Museums (both of them), Santa Monica Promenade, Franklin Canyon, the La Brea Tar Pits, Topanga Canyon -- these are the places I like to take out-of-towners. To get a bit of perspective, all the named sites are on the "west side" of LA (although Franklin Canyon is arguably in the Valley, and Malibu is, well, in Malibu), yet it would take 30-40 minutes, more in traffic, to drive to Santa Monica, the closest destination from Long Beach. This time you will, hopefully, see Long Beach and San Pedro. Some other time, you'll see the rest of it. I moved out here years ago and have never regretted it.

Sorry for going on like this, but I love my city and want others to enjoy it too.

See you on board!

Oh Thanks for the info!! So,,if we were to take a shuttle or uber from LAX to a hotel in LB...do you think there is enough for us to do for 2 days pre and 2 days post cruise? That is either walking around or local shuttles/buses? Not looking to rent anything as we want to relax and not deal with driving places we don't know how to get to lol. Maybe some shopping / meals / drinks / night life...and if we find something cheap and close by for sightseeing it would be a bonus. Our anniversary is the day the cruise returns so I am hoping I can find a deal to extend the trip the 2 days on the end. Can you recommend a good hotel in a good area that isn't over priced?? The Hyatt Centric looks nice but not sure I want to spend $150ish a night. Thanks!!

Was thinking maybe SP before cruise and LB after...but there are less airfare options out of LB and they are pricier. How far from LB to LAX? Thanks.

Google has 20 miles from LAX to SP or LB. And 6.6 miles from SP to LB. I Wish the flights from LB to Boston were cooperating lol.

Its not that much further from San Pedro across the Vincent Thomas bridge to Long Beach. Like you found about 7 miles. Maybe a 15-20 minute cab. $20-$25.

I don't use Jet Blue anymore because they are so high unless you book way way in advance.

Long Beach to LAX is still not that bad. I just look at both being a good option from LAX.

Its not that much further from San Pedro across the Vincent Thomas bridge to Long Beach. Like you found about 7 miles. Maybe a 15-20 minute cab. $20-$25.

I don't use Jet Blue anymore because they are so high unless you book way way in advance.

Long Beach to LAX is still not that bad. I just look at both being a good option from LAX.

Yeah,,,though at least with JetBlue one price point includes 1 piece of luggage. That's another fee....traveling for 12-14 days is going to require more than 1 bag each we usually have 3-4 for shorter trips. :eek: At $25 a piece each way...yikes.