Very Disappointed - NCL Asia

pieshops

OP, since NCL isn't meeting your desires why don't you just change to a cruise line that meets your needs. There are many other cruise lines so why are you fixating on one that's not right for you. I found Azamara much nicer because it is 600 passengers and it's freestyle because there are no formals. I'm not pushing that cruise but look into the other lines, there are many of them.

OP, since NCL isn't meeting your desires why don't you just change to a cruise line that meets your needs. There are many other cruise lines so why are you fixating on one that's not right for you. I found Azamara much nicer because it is 600 passengers and it's freestyle because there are no formals. I'm not pushing that cruise but look into the other lines, there are many of them.

I have addressed that in another post on this thread. We would but timing, price, itinerary do not work out.

I think they want you to cancel. If I am not mistaken, you got this cruise as a substitute after the major redeployment was announced. I think they can sell your room for twice (or more) what you paid so they are being uncooperative.

Now this is just me and some say I am nuts, but I would do the trip I wanted. I would do it and show up at the next port and dare them to deny me boarding. You are in compliance with their T&C's and there is no reason for them to allow this for others and not you. Have a plan B in place (lots of money accessible) in case they do deny you boarding and tour on your own. Then call a lawyer when you get home. They will let you board though - most probably.

I wouldn't worry about them knowing you asked because do you really think they will have their s**t together enough to pull that off?

Certainly did not get as a substitute. I booked a week or two after the new itinerary was announced. Yes we did get a great price based on the pricing now. Our suite is now double the price we got it for.

Not wiling to take that chance. If they do put our stuff off the ship at Ha Lomg Bay and we meet them in Da Nang that is a long way away to get our stuff.

Not wiling to take that chance. If they do put our stuff off the ship at Ha Lomg Bay and we meet them in Da Nang that is a long way away to get our stuff.

I'm not sure how flexible your Vietnam plans are, but you might have better luck asking them on the ship?

This is probably something that NCL agents in the US are not familiar with, but possibly they contacted Star cruises about laws over there, and found out it isn't allowed.

To the OP, not sure who you have been talking to at NCL. I know you said you had at one point contacted the CEOs office, but did they really look into this, or did they just back up what you had already been told without further investigation. We all know the people at the call centers are the worst informed in the company.

If I were you, I'd write a letter to the VP of Passenger Services. I believe this is something which would fall under their jurisdiction. I once had to contact them and got an immediate response which totally contradicted what I was being told was the final word from "NCL". They also called the people involved and straightened them out. If they say it can't be done, then I'd believe them. As it is, you have no idea who is making this decision at NCL and if they are even qualified to do so. My guess it is from a supervisor at the call center.

I think there is some great advice in this thread.

If it were me, I'd contact other cruise lines simply to find out if it's an existing options with other lines (not to book with them) as NLHArizona suggested.

I am not brave enough to take JaneDon's suggestion, but that thought also crossed my mind. But since there's a paper trail of request and denial, I'd be too chicken to try that one.

I'd also write a letter, as punkincc suggested, to the VP of Passenger Services, and copy Andy Stuart and FDR.

In that letter, I would include a copy of the letter from the Vietnam embassy/consulate that says it's okay with them, and if other lines say it's possible, I'd mention that, so they know it can be done.

Additionally, I'd point out that the cruise contract does not, (as I read it anyway), prevent you from doing this. In fact it says, if you miss the ship, it's up to you to get yourself back there to meet it. But it doesn't say, if you miss the ship you will be deboarded. I might inquire about this -- why it is such a special circumstance that seems so different from all others. Have they recently changed a policy, for example, on cruise passengers who miss ships and not reflected that change in their cruise contract?

And I would also include a copy of the NYT article that tells your wife's story, and let them know there there will be a follow up piece.

You have been a brand ambassador for NCL on this forum, a loyal customer and if they can arrange this for you, you would be a source of great, heartwarming, free publicity for NCL via the New York Times follow up article.

Since it's a new itinerary, it could easily be, as others have suggested, just a simple case of not knowing because it's so early in the game.

I really hope they can work this out for you-- seems like it could end up being a win-win situation for you and NCL.

Edited by macandlucy

This situation sucks.

What about this scenario?:

- Take your stuff WITH you when you debark Hanoi, that way you wouldn't have to circle-back.

- Do your land-trip not for 1 night, but for 2.

- Rejoin ship at next port outside of Vietnam.

OR

- instead of going to Andy, go to the VP Marketing and explain the NYT story FIRST, then explain the exception that you need, to make it happen.

Stephen

I'm not sure how flexible your Vietnam plans are, but you might have better luck asking them on the ship?

I had thought of that but if its a no and I have the private transport and tour booked, I will lose out, also I need to book the transport from Hanoi to Da Nang

To the OP, not sure who you have been talking to at NCL. I know you said you had at one point contacted the CEOs office, but did they really look into this, or did they just back up what you had already been told without further investigation. We all know the people at the call centers are the worst informed in the company.

If I were you, I'd write a letter to the VP of Passenger Services. I believe this is something which would fall under their jurisdiction. I once had to contact them and got an immediate response which totally contradicted what I was being told was the final word from "NCL". They also called the people involved and straightened them out. If they say it can't be done, then I'd believe them. As it is, you have no idea who is making this decision at NCL and if they are even qualified to do so. My guess it is from a supervisor at the call center.

I had originally spoken to a supervisor and was given the ok. When they called and told me it had changed I wrote a letter to customer service as well as cc'ing FDR and Andy Stuart. I had a lead reservation agent call me and tell me the decision was a no and he told me that was straight from the corporate office

I think there is some great advice in this thread.

If it were me, I'd contact other cruise lines simply to find out if it's an existing options with other lines (not to book with them) as NLHArizona suggested.

I am not brave enough to take JaneDon's suggestion, but that thought also crossed my mind. But since there's a paper trail of request and denial, I'd be too chicken to try that one.

I'd also write a letter, as punkincc suggested, to the VP of Passenger Services, and copy Andy Stuart and FDR.

In that letter, I would include a copy of the letter from the Vietnam embassy/consulate that says it's okay with them, and if other lines say it's possible, I'd mention that, so they know it can be done.

Additionally, I'd point out that the cruise contract does not, (as I read it anyway), prevent you from doing this. In fact it says, if you miss the ship, it's up to you to get yourself back there to meet it. But it doesn't say, if you miss the ship you will be deboarded. I might inquire about this -- why it is such a special circumstance that seems so different from all others. Have they recently changed a policy, for example, on cruise passengers who miss ships and not reflected that change in their cruise contract?

And I would also include a copy of the NYT article that tells your wife's story, and let them know there there will be a follow up piece.

You have been a brand ambassador for NCL on this forum, a loyal customer and if they can arrange this for you, you would be a source of great, heartwarming, free publicity for NCL via the New York Times follow up article.

Since it's a new itinerary, it could easily be, as others have suggested, just a simple case of not knowing because it's so early in the game.

I really hope they can work this out for you-- seems like it could end up being a win-win situation for you and NCL.

I wrote to FDR and Andy Stuart and when called back with the form no I was told it came straight from corporate.

I am going to try one more time in a few weeks and also send to your suggestion of vp passenger services as well as including the letter and the previous articles.

thanks for the suggestions

I

Now this is just me and some say I am nuts, but I would do the trip I wanted. I would do it and show up at the next port and dare them to deny me boarding. You are in compliance with their T&C's and there is no reason for them to allow this for others and not you. Have a plan B in place (lots of money accessible) in case they do deny you boarding and tour on your own. Then call a lawyer when you get home. They will let you board though - most probably.

I wouldn't worry about them knowing you asked because do you really think they will have their s**t together enough to pull that off?

Yeah right. Great advice. Do you know how much a good lawyer charges per hour upfront? It is so easy to say I Will Sue until the retainer bill appears in front of you.

Yeah right. Great advice. Do you know how much a good lawyer charges per hour upfront? It is so easy to say I Will Sue until the retainer bill appears in front of you.

Also, NCL said no, that you can not do this and you do it anyway....No good lawyer would ever touch this case.....

Also, NCL said no, that you can not do this and you do it anyway....No good lawyer would ever touch this case.....

A good lawyer will take you to the cleaner before telling you your case sucks. Can't blame him though since he has bills to pay like everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Updating. NO JOY. Exchange with my PCC (some editing for clarity):

Hello Shawn,

You would not be able to get off and fly to the next port without incurring a fine and getting port operations approval. I have had many guests want to get off stay the night in a port and fly to the next one and it is always declined.

-------------------------

Hello PCC,

That's bad news.

How stiff is the fine?

Thanks,

S

----------

Hi Shawn,

It depends. It is not a fine Norwegian creates. It is actually a violation of the Jones Act. The ship gets fined when guests even miss the ship and have to fly to the next port. This does happen and guests are allowed to get back on but I do not know what the fine is until it is imposed on the ship which they have the guest be responsible for. At a minimum it can be $250 per person or higher.

=================

What I'm thinking: I don't believe the Jones Act applies to ports in India, but I feel that this is a case where carrying on would only annoy my PCC, who is very competent n other matters and who I'd rather not annoy.

Aaarrrggghhhh.

Updating. NO JOY. Exchange with my PCC (some editing for clarity):

Hello Shawn,

You would not be able to get off and fly to the next port without incurring a fine and getting port operations approval. I have had many guests want to get off stay the night in a port and fly to the next one and it is always declined.

-------------------------

Hello PCC,

That's bad news.

How stiff is the fine?

Thanks,

S

----------

Hi Shawn,

It depends. It is not a fine Norwegian creates. It is actually a violation of the Jones Act. The ship gets fined when guests even miss the ship and have to fly to the next port. This does happen and guests are allowed to get back on but I do not know what the fine is until it is imposed on the ship which they have the guest be responsible for. At a minimum it can be $250 per person or higher.

=================

What I'm thinking: I don't believe the Jones Act applies to ports in India, but I feel that this is a case where carrying on would only annoy my PCC, who is very competent n other matters and who I'd rather not annoy.

Aaarrrggghhhh.

The jones act is only for ships that depart and return to a USA port. I think your letter you got is a load of crap, we did a Med Europe cruise last December and people embarked and debarked from every port we stopped at.

The jones act is only for ships that depart and return to a USA port. I think your letter you got is a load of crap, we did a Med Europe cruise last December and people embarked and debarked from every port we stopped at.

Yeah, I've written again... not hopeful, but I've written again.

keep us informed, I also appealed what they told me and am waiting to hear back, they said they would do some research and get back to me. Not sure why the research was not done in the first place of I am just being placated but we shall see.

Good luck but it sounds like a brick wall.

A thought. If you were to do it would you need a different visa? I assume they will be taking our passports and the ship will deal with the processes of embark/debark at each port. I cannot see NCL (nor the Indian authorities) being happy with all the extra paperwork if a number of people were to do what you would like to do.

Mike

no it is too far of a round trip to get back in time, we had planned on seeing Hanoi then taking an overnight trip to the village and then onto Da Nang.

The ridiculous part of it is The NY times wrote an article on my wife and her parents many years ago when the adoption happened, they wrote another when when our first child was born and they are planning on writing a final story about her return to Vietnam as well as Her Fathers first return there since the war.

NCl could have been a part of this story, it would have been a great PR most for them showing the reuniting of her with her family on the inaugural cruise by NCL to Asia. Now the story will be written but NCL will be a part of it on the bad end as we will certainly make sure this gets some press. At least we will still get to the orphanage in Da Nang.

Ask the Times to pay for a land trip for you at a convenient time as you won't be able to get to the village this time

Alternately.....see if some bigwig from the times has any clout...perhaps someone knows fdr?

Start networking...lol ....and asking for favors

Someone from the times could certainly try to intervene for you....and at the same time gently suggest how bad this makes Ncl look....especially since they initially told you it would be ok...thus prompting you to spend a fortune on airfare....get your fil all excited to go back....yada yada

Edited by luvtheships

Good luck but it sounds like a brick wall.

A thought. If you were to do it would you need a different visa? I assume they will be taking our passports and the ship will deal with the processes of embark/debark at each port. I cannot see NCL (nor the Indian authorities) being happy with all the extra paperwork if a number of people were to do what you would like to do.

Mike

Thing is, some years ago the Sun used to sail S. America. (It happens to be back there now. We were going to do that 34-day you're doing late March but it didn't work out.) The S. America board is absolutely rife with stories of people doing Macchu Picchu on-their-own, disembarking in N. Chile and picking the ship up in Peru. "Why?" Because the ship excursion was exorbitant.

So I don't know what all the new drama is.

When we were on Jade we knew a couple who got off in Italy and picked the ship up later in France.